Make Development Discussion Regular+ and improve the Forum Tutorial

I semi-agree and disagree. Yes, people spam the same topics over and over again, and put things that belong in #help-and-feedback:game-design-support in #development-discussion because they see so many of them. But then, because it’s full of spam and literally the same topic themes all the time, there really isn’t a point of switching the category to Regular+. In addition, we do have a #lounge and having #development-discussion regular only would be like opening another #lounge, except more people are able to see it.

But what I do agree on is if a Regular+ can make a topic but members can reply, sort of like how #resources:community-resources and #resources:community-tutorials used to be.

That’s harder said than done, you cant exactly “whitelist” and “blacklist” people from posting on the forums without making them rank up first, because there are just too many people. I understand it’s a bit unfair that the rankings aren’t online, and it’s got to a point where it’s been a year without and further updates.

1 Like

At this point I’ve lost all hope(and need in my head) for a regular system. It seems(feels?) like we need to go back to manual at this point.

I agree with some of the points here, however, simply if we look at #development-discussion there are several Members who are already old enough in the Developer Forum to know about the rules itself, and they still tend to post trash topics in #development-discussion, not just that, I’m actually quite humored by the fact that some of this same people who trash #development-discussion also complain in rant threads to close down #development-discussion.

In the other side though, if they keep implementing this for Regulars, even though for some Regulars it may appear good because of the fact that Regulars make “good topics” and abide by the rules, however, even if we lessen the trash topics in #development-discussion by making it only Regular, there’s a higher chance this is indirectly inflaming elitism for Regulars and Members would tend to see Regulars as “elites” and would probably cause controversy whether it’s fair for them or not to post in #development-discussion considering there are also few Members who are willing to post contributive posts there.

In general, I agree with the fact that they should not make it “Regular-only”, and I’ll be honest I’m becoming a bit disappointed that these rant topics to close #development-discussion or to lock it for Regulars is in no way helpful, and I really agree with your statement…

1 Like

I wouldn’t go as far as reverting back to manual, but it needs to be fixed in one way or another. Even just a temporary solution would do. But to be completely honest, I don’t want a rushed system, I’d like a system that’d be an improvement over PA. It also depends if they’re even working on it. They might rework everything from the ground up, meaning they would change up the roles, categories, all of that. It’s about time they fix the cluttering problem and introduce an alternative to Post Approval.

Ok but no more about PA please.

1 Like

or they could kick everyone out and have them start anew, wait-

It seems like we need much stricter joining requirements at least.

1 Like

Yea, I would like that. I also think that the punishment for posting off-topic things is harhser so when users get temp banned for stuff(or perm banned) it hurts more and they can’t go/make a alt account.

1 Like

A warning is a warning though, we shouldn’t change that

There are some cases where yes, I think users should just be given feedback(newer members, 1st time rulebreakers, people who only break the rules once in a while) but a lot of the people who I see post off-topic things/spam things are the same group of people in which I think that the punishment should be made harsher, instead of locking it to regular only.

1 Like

Improving the tutorial wouldn’t help because the people who do this don’t read the tutorial or guidelines.

This has been discussed multiple time’s and it’s just creating spam in #forum-feedback :confused:

1 Like

I’m kinda agreeing on this, especially because of topics like this

The post and the replies are heavily off topic

Edit: Most of them are legit acting entitled to stuff (like #lounge) and it’s annoying as hell

Edit 2: Post finally got locked, reason made my day

13 Likes

Yes, I am very grateful that it was taken care of. Depressing though how long it lasted, but moderators have lives. Hopefully something will be done to mitigate this. I wouldn’t mind the introduction of a role for members who are less than 3-6 months old on the forum, perhaps something like “Rookie”? They shouldn’t be able to create posts, or should be blocked form “development discussion” due to the fact that it is vague enough to make people think low effort posts are allowed and are usually offtopic or repeats.

1 Like

can dev discussion just go back to being regulars only and just have a regular system back in place lol. i dont know which staff members thought changing this was better but you can clearly see the decrease in interesting devforum posts, and most of them are just repeated topics or stuff thats literally a question for their own gain. e.g “should i do this or do that” ??? how is that even related to dev discussion and

i mean its being spammed because the forum admins have not done anything for a fairly long time. I would really like to see a staff member try to argue a valid reason for this change that brings good positives. it literally takes less than a day to get access to the devforum so if anyone wanted to they could easily just create an account and post in dev discussion which is expected to have original topics featuring interesting/important stuff. not stuff like this… (took less than 30 minutes to gather these)

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/hello-dev-forums-10-second-flag/1187277
https://devforum.roblox.com/t/is-there-a-way-i-can-read-other-games-scripts/1184325
https://devforum.roblox.com/t/answered-why-does-it-cost-robux-to-create-a-badge/1186390
https://devforum.roblox.com/t/is-giving-people-rewards-for-buying-a-shirt-ok/1186428

last one can be argued to be a ok post but a little bit of a research can easily solve this answer :neutral_face:

personally if i owned this forum i would bring back regular superiority however i would make becoming a regular less dependent on your activity and more dependent on your contributions as not everyone has the time of day to spend 2 hours scrolling through the devforum. contributions can be scaled as interaction/problem solving (solutions) and resources

anyway at the end of the day roblox has done nothing so this probably isn’t going to change no matter how much we cry

1 Like

I feel like this might go back to Regular+ when the new regular system finally comes out. I do agree that it should be based on contributions and not just reading

I forgot where the post was, but when the closed PA (which basically closed the regular promotion system) they said they were working on a new system for promoting to regular

wheres the post about a new regular system? (edit your message)

It actually says it on how to rank up on the DevForum

But it’s been several months.

Why don’t we just penalize the newer users that keep making mistakes? I agree with @TheSenorDuck with

It’ll shut up low effort posts real quick.

2 Likes

You’re highly underestimating how many people use devforum and how many will learn from others mistakes. I highly doubt if someone strolled onto the devforum just to ask a question for themselves on dev discussion that they would take time to even look at anyone else’s posts and see quality, people will just come and post and wait for an answer and leave, with what you have put this does not stop the root cause of newer people joining and posting lower quality topics, new people join the devforum every single day and this will still keep the same problem. What the OP said is the best option.

The tutorial is already fine. Plenty of new users are just too lazy because it doesn’t yell in your face what the rules are. Ugh, who would want to read that WHOLE post!? Thus unless there is some mandatory slideshow or animation to watch, bad posts will be bad posts.

If you want to show them some mercy then give them a warning, or don’t let them create topics for the first week of them being an official member. This way they are forced to see the quality of posts but can still participate in discussions via replies. After that week, you get a warning for the first bad post, one week ban from creating new posts on the second violation, and if you commit another violation less than 3 months after the last one you can’t create a topic for a month. If the situation is truly bad enough, the moderators can manually ban you themselves to their own judgement.

2 Likes

That’s actually really nice. If only it got any staff attention. :roll_eyes:

1 Like