Make DevForum acceptance manual

Yes, I mean real people checking it. A staff member cannot tell if a showcase is copied because they would need to search every game on Roblox to see if it’s not copied, O(n) searches at the worst case. This post sums it up better than I do (the same concept applies to searching games).

https://gyazo.com/1609460853e73fc21ea9bc37f13a87b3

I mean, this would definitely be possible, but this not only stops (some) trolls and spammers, but it definitely stops the underage users that won’t know to do this.

Maybe there would be some automatic post that has the screenshots they submitted to get in, and the community could flag if they stole them with evidence.

All this is doing though is scaling up the resources basically adding extra people to check if it’s a copy. However, the number of people will still be too low to check if a game is a copy.

Let’s say we have 100 people who saw that screenshot, most of them wouldn’t really search as vigorously as an actual staff member. Let’s say they do a search vigorously, and since there are about 40 million games on Roblox each person would still have to search 400,000 games at worst case (not to mention people overlapping their searches).

Remember this is only with games, people could just drop a whole free model and call it their showcase (we would also need to search free models now).

Also, this is only with building, how would we search if a scripter is using scripts from the other game or scripts from the toolbox? Many people use the same method to make a simple lazer on Roblox does that mean they copied if a similar script is found?

Scripting and building won’t be the only things we would need to check. Being a game translator, game tester, animator, compositor, animator, and UI designer can still be considered development

It stops some people but not enough to justify resources being spent on this. Also, people don’t even have to exploit to do this, if you search up uncopylocked games on roblox their’s a lot of games that show up.

My point was the person might steal the build/script from someone on the DevForum, so it will catch them.

Wait.

It just hit me, the UGC applications required a video of them doing their work.

Why can’t we do the same thing?

What if someone made a obby laser and a similar script was found on the forum does that make them a copy? There isn’t a lot of ways you can make an obby laser.

Scripting/building isn’t the only things we need to check. We also need to check people who are game testers, game translators, UI designers, animators, and compositors.

That’s because the UGC program requires a certain level of skill, and the thing you’re proposing is saying you need to do at least something.

I can record myself placing a brick down and be accepted into the UGC program.

For scripting, I could just type what the default script says print(“Hello wld”) and record it and get accepted into the forum.

Unless if you’re making it so only a certain range of scripters can come here by making a minimum requirement for their showcase, this won’t work out.

UGC is supposed to be a special program, the forum is more like a public resource where we can post our questions, which is why this type of test doesn’t work.

Sadly, you can’t simply materialize all of the manpower required to moderate acceptance for new members. It is a simple yet unbreakable fact. Any discussion on this topic is futile.

5 Likes

That process is unscalable and infeasible for as large a platform as the devforum. There’s a reason applications were removed in 2019; it was impractical to continue doing so. You’re proposing even more infeasible “solutions” to the problems that were resolved almost 2 years ago.

2 Likes

Results

Community consensus was to have automatic acceptance change.

Interested to see what requests happen next.

3 Likes

When the DevForum was manually selected, only the very top developers were granted in. The purpose of the DevForum is to help developers with problems and issues they have. The chances of the top developers having the same type of issues as newer developers are pretty slim.

But the new developers don’t have technical questions. The basic questions have all already been asked.

1 Like

Not all basic questions have been asked before. You see many new questions from beginners every single day that haven’t been asked before.

1 Like

Such as…?

I can’t find any examples.

1 Like

You can’t find any examples because you aren’t facing an issue; the list is endless on what a developer could need assistance with and furthermore these developers should be able to ask them.

Shutting down because all possible “basic” questions, according to you, have been answered isn’t ok - far from it.

2 Likes

A lot of “basic questions” are far too specific, many of them being help requests with very specific code, so there is no way someone else could have had the same issue with the same exact code unless it was from a free model/tutorial but that’s beside the point lol.

I support tougher moderation and more resources being invested in educating new users so less bad posts occur, but making acceptance manual simply does not scale and I don’t support it for that reason and many others. I am not sure why people keep recommending manual approval – you are free to believe what you want, but hasn’t this feature request been asked to death already, and declined due to the same reasons?

6 Likes

That’s why they are asking for help? They are asking for assistance and literally questioning their skills wont do anything. If you have the time to complain about people not knowing anything about scripting you have the time to assist them and point out their wrong-doings.

2 Likes

Here’s the thing. The dev forum is supposed to be a place for more important questions. If you legit don’t know what is a variable, and you just stole someone’s code and is now wondering why it’s not working, what are you doing? You can learn a bit maybe in 2 days and get at least some knowledge.

1 Like

You’re assuming everyone with basic questions stole code. Your example was oddly specific and i doubt variables can affect code in such a way it does not work. How are people supposed to learn if they cannot ask questions? New developers do not know their way around sources like the developer hub.

2 Likes

Mhm, the forum is a place for any kind of question, you don’t need to be an expert in programming to ask something you don’t know, I came in knowing some things, but how would you learn if the forum is closed?

I’m not assuming. I’m telling you. I was in a post recently and they said “yeah this is a free model”.
And there’s YouTube videos for people to learn, it’s not that hard. I’m telling you “basic knowledge”.

1 Like

When I mean “more important questions”, it’s because a lot of the forum is very new to basic programming, and sometimes you get these stupid questions that could be other wise solved with another topic or a youtube video.
I mean basic knowledge. A lot of people just don’t understand programming AT ALL, and they’re in the dev forum because they used it enough I guess. People legit asking what are variables? The most basic thing about programming, the simplest, the thing everyone talks about FIRST.
Getting these questions inside the dev forum is pretty annoying. You can watch a Alvin blox video and discover it right away.

Even if you’re an builder only you should know what are variables.

1 Like