Make glass work with transparent objects

I’m still avoiding glass. Come on roblox add a option at least to toggle this “bug” on or off for those who need it.

6 Likes

bumping this again because to this day nothing has been stated about this. the only thing we got is last year’s rdc when they mentioned this behaviour will get patched the moment they add ray tracing. its been 4 years with this same issue.

i’m not sure if the majority would agree to this. but if the problem is performance issues with refraction. why not just make it so the particles/whatever ui with transparency just go through the glass (pretty much like surfacegui with “AlwaysOnTop” option) and fully ignore refraction until this ray tracing update comes out. instead of just disabling the entire thing and not rendering anything?

to this very day. the glass material is a literal visual destroyer if you use it on anything. please we just need an alternative until you guys fully work around the performance issue

8 Likes

Damn we still don’t have this? Glass is such a great and realistic material that everyone wants to use. Let us stop using semi-transparent metal.

5 Likes

This bug makes the glass material unusable and it has been around for 4 years, but Roblox doesn’t seem to care at all. Strange.

5 Likes

bumping this yet again, because it’s been four years, and still no update, radio is dead silent.

when will this be resolved? it’s so annoying not to be able to see decals and transparent thing with the glass material, and yeah, i love the material, but this ‘‘minor’’ thing is a pretty big deal.

anything?? please??
i don’t want to use metal and smooth plastic to fake glass, it’s getting frustrating.

14 Likes

Apologies if I stole the feature fequest :confused:

I noticed that changing it would break some games, as they purposefully use it but that’s pointless

though Big Support 4 this

4 Likes

I’m still avoiding glass. Come on roblox add a option at least to toggle this “bug” on or off for those who need it.

5 Likes

Yep, it would be quite reckless to leave a pretty major bug like this in the engine.

3 Likes

hey many post as much as you want I just hope this will get fixed

4 Likes

uuuhhhh i dont understand what do you mean

It doesn’t have to, the option could be taggable on and off, could be default off for example so games which use it don’t break and vice versa.

1 Like

im saying the more people that talk about this, the better

3 Likes

I agree, keep talking about it people! Its been years.

3 Likes

roblox please fix this, its been far too long already

4 Likes

bumping again, still no update or response from roblox. anything??

3 Likes

bumping again, can’t understand why roblox hasn’t even responded to this yet

3 Likes

bumping as well again, I agree. It’s silly that we STILL have to rely on Plastic.

1 Like

This is something that I am surprised still exists in Roblox to this day. At this point, I stopped using glass and just use transparent parts with the Metal material

2 Likes

Bump, and support.

Even more use cases would be fun… so here ya go!

Heat Distortion/Distortion Maps
We currently have this one option (Glass) for distortion in our ga- experiences, so until we have a better way for this to happen (which might, unless they’ve gotten rid of it already, use the same Occlusion tech or whatever), Glass is the way to go. Take the Misty Woods from Ori and the Blind Forest, for example. It has this effect where the screen gets all funky and distorted when you move, kinda like the Ripple Distortion Filter in Gimp. Look here:

Ori isn’t near the enemy. Thus, the enemy is distorted in that area which is relative to the camera:

Now Ori is near the enemy, so it is now distorted in a different way relative to the camera position:

Observe a masterpiece beyond comprehension!

Of course, this is very, very specific, but I’m sure it could help a lot of people who are covering their entire screen with the Glass Material for one fun effect or another, to have particles and such actually display.

Another effect that glass is used for (maybe not often, but it’s used!) is the, as I like to call it, Super-Glass Glitch, where if you turn a Glass Part’s Transparency up to around 5-10 it goes into overdrive, lowering the distortion amount below 0. This creates opportunities for fake SSR, greater distortion, and more! The problem is, though… you guessed it, the Occlusion bug.

TL;DR Crazy good effects with glass aren’t possible to mix with particles, and this causes a problem, especially for me, with most of my games being (or wanting to be) VFX heavy.

5 Likes

Whipped this up real quick using the same textures as the real glass material. It doesn’t look as nice as the real glass material, but it works well enough for an impostor. One possible use case would be swapping to fake glass when a player’s camera is inside a building, and swapping back to real glass when they’re outside. The visuals might be a little inconsistent, but at least you’ll be able to see water through it.

4 Likes