Make glass work with transparent objects

I agree, keep talking about it people! Its been years.

3 Likes

roblox please fix this, its been far too long already

4 Likes

bumping again, still no update or response from roblox. anything??

3 Likes

bumping again, can’t understand why roblox hasn’t even responded to this yet

3 Likes

bumping as well again, I agree. It’s silly that we STILL have to rely on Plastic.

1 Like

This is something that I am surprised still exists in Roblox to this day. At this point, I stopped using glass and just use transparent parts with the Metal material

2 Likes

Bump, and support.

Even more use cases would be fun… so here ya go!

Heat Distortion/Distortion Maps
We currently have this one option (Glass) for distortion in our ga- experiences, so until we have a better way for this to happen (which might, unless they’ve gotten rid of it already, use the same Occlusion tech or whatever), Glass is the way to go. Take the Misty Woods from Ori and the Blind Forest, for example. It has this effect where the screen gets all funky and distorted when you move, kinda like the Ripple Distortion Filter in Gimp. Look here:

Ori isn’t near the enemy. Thus, the enemy is distorted in that area which is relative to the camera:

Now Ori is near the enemy, so it is now distorted in a different way relative to the camera position:

Observe a masterpiece beyond comprehension!

Of course, this is very, very specific, but I’m sure it could help a lot of people who are covering their entire screen with the Glass Material for one fun effect or another, to have particles and such actually display.

Another effect that glass is used for (maybe not often, but it’s used!) is the, as I like to call it, Super-Glass Glitch, where if you turn a Glass Part’s Transparency up to around 5-10 it goes into overdrive, lowering the distortion amount below 0. This creates opportunities for fake SSR, greater distortion, and more! The problem is, though… you guessed it, the Occlusion bug.

TL;DR Crazy good effects with glass aren’t possible to mix with particles, and this causes a problem, especially for me, with most of my games being (or wanting to be) VFX heavy.

5 Likes

Whipped this up real quick using the same textures as the real glass material. It doesn’t look as nice as the real glass material, but it works well enough for an impostor. One possible use case would be swapping to fake glass when a player’s camera is inside a building, and swapping back to real glass when they’re outside. The visuals might be a little inconsistent, but at least you’ll be able to see water through it.

4 Likes

While this is a good workaround, it seriously shouldn’t be necessary.

4 Likes

Yeah, unfortunately workarounds that only half work are still necessary

BECAUSE ROBLOX WON’T DO IT FOR US.

3 Likes

Strongly agreed, it been nearly 4 years

2 Likes

Roblox probably did this to avoid stuff like FPS Spike.

Seems like a pretty sloppy excuse to use.

And even if it was like that, it just makes the entire material and its functions seem half-baked and unfinished, it’s just annoying.

3 Likes

Bumping again. Fix this already for god’s sake Roblox.

1 Like

Thank you, Roblox, for your continued support of the Glass Material and your engines rendering capabilities.

1 Like

Agreed, especially as it could be togglable and set disabled by default, so it wouldn’t mess up games made with this glass bug in mind.

1 Like