Make glass work with transparent objects

I know this is a very old topic but can we please make this change happen?
Its currently a issue for me due to it being literally impossible to make a crosshair on a magnified sight without some kind of manipulation… (which i can’t figure out yet)

10 Likes

I don’t care if this is a necro post, this issue is very annoying to work with and as far as I know there is no plans to fix it. with the new material service and 2022 materials there is no reason this should still be an issue. I want to be able to use glass as its a super nice material but the limitations in place are ridiculous and I’m left with using ice or something. This is a feature that should have been in roblox when glass was released and with the new material service it should be possible to make it toggleable for the people that used it for its current properties. So many developers would love to see this feature.

8 Likes

This issue has been the bane of @plasma_node 's (and myself’s) existence. How has this gone under the radar internally at roblox for so long? So strange

6 Likes

Excellent point about the new material service system. I hope and pray that Roblox gives us a solution to this soon, finally. It’s high past time and it would be a universally supported feature.

4 Likes

Totally agree with this post.

I wish to use glass because it looks better and more realistic than a transparent plastic or ice brick, but it makes everything behind it invisible and it looks like a weird glitch. :frowning:

Although, I would still like to have the option to use some sort of mask to hide certain objects.
Surprised this isn’t an actual feature yet.
Using glass as a mask to make things invisible feels more like an unreliable hack rather than a “feature”.

Nowadays in modern game engines, things like this is a must.
Being able to have realistic-looking glass and masks to hide certain objects or play with their Z-depth values.

6 Likes

This is true, Roblox’s official statement is that you should not rely on this behaviour as it can be changed at any time.

5 Likes

I find it hideous when I use glass parts with boats, as it gets rid of water… FOR WHATEVER REASON…

8 Likes

Huge support, it makes the glass material unusable.

5 Likes

I’m still avoiding glass. Come on roblox add a option at least to toggle this “bug” on or off for those who need it.

6 Likes

bumping this again because to this day nothing has been stated about this. the only thing we got is last year’s rdc when they mentioned this behaviour will get patched the moment they add ray tracing. its been 4 years with this same issue.

i’m not sure if the majority would agree to this. but if the problem is performance issues with refraction. why not just make it so the particles/whatever ui with transparency just go through the glass (pretty much like surfacegui with “AlwaysOnTop” option) and fully ignore refraction until this ray tracing update comes out. instead of just disabling the entire thing and not rendering anything?

to this very day. the glass material is a literal visual destroyer if you use it on anything. please we just need an alternative until you guys fully work around the performance issue

8 Likes

Damn we still don’t have this? Glass is such a great and realistic material that everyone wants to use. Let us stop using semi-transparent metal.

5 Likes

This bug makes the glass material unusable and it has been around for 4 years, but Roblox doesn’t seem to care at all. Strange.

5 Likes

bumping this yet again, because it’s been four years, and still no update, radio is dead silent.

when will this be resolved? it’s so annoying not to be able to see decals and transparent thing with the glass material, and yeah, i love the material, but this ‘‘minor’’ thing is a pretty big deal.

anything?? please??
i don’t want to use metal and smooth plastic to fake glass, it’s getting frustrating.

14 Likes

Apologies if I stole the feature fequest :confused:

I noticed that changing it would break some games, as they purposefully use it but that’s pointless

though Big Support 4 this

4 Likes

I’m still avoiding glass. Come on roblox add a option at least to toggle this “bug” on or off for those who need it.

5 Likes

Yep, it would be quite reckless to leave a pretty major bug like this in the engine.

3 Likes

hey many post as much as you want I just hope this will get fixed

4 Likes

uuuhhhh i dont understand what do you mean

It doesn’t have to, the option could be taggable on and off, could be default off for example so games which use it don’t break and vice versa.

1 Like

im saying the more people that talk about this, the better

3 Likes