Make Mouse-Lock More Open for Customization

As a Roblox developer, it is currently very difficult to work Mouse-Lock into games with a lot of UI.

There are obviously ways around this, such as disabling the normal Mouse-Lock and creating a custom one, but you shouldn’t have to go out of your way to do this.

Very often the Mouse-Lock icon can mess with a developer’s UI, and the best solution is to simply disable it.
This being said, I propose the following changes listed in order of importance:

• Allow developers to change the Mouse-Lock position.
  • Allow developers to change the Mouse-Lock size.
  • Allow developers to change the Mouse-Lock icon.

I think these changes would make Mouse-Lock more modern and intuitive in games with a lot of UI covering the screen. This suggestion is obviously open for criticism and feedback but I think at least considering this is a good idea.

(cc @Eventive, @CodingDuck)

17 Likes

Good idea. Additionally, I’d like to suggest another feature for this. Being able to change what key enables mouse-lock. The user is generally allowed to change it by default, unless the developer sets it to a certain key. That way, we’re able to use the shift key for another action, rather than having to disable the feature in general.

4 Likes

Great ideas, I see no reason why this can’t be added to Roblox. More customization is always welcomed.

2 Likes

Huh?
I’m not sure, but you can very well already customize the mouse-lock icon as you want. The only issue as I see it is that the image changes, but that’s about all.
(A possible solution would be to listen to Image changes, changing the image to your own style when it changes - or go with ImageTransparency = 1 and an overlay image)

2 Likes

Pretty sure there is a PlayerScript localscript that lets you change both the enabled and disabled icon.

1 Like

That too - part of the camera submodules IIRC.

1 Like

Very neat, I was unaware of this.

You can already do all of this. Before you post you should do some digging yourself to see if something already exists.

1 Like

I obviously did some digging, I didn’t find anything on it though, so I was oblivious when I made this. Based on the responses many other people were too, so I think at the end of the day it’s still a helpful post.

An easy CameraMode value to enable it would also be nice to prevent having to go out of your way for third person cameras.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.