Make terrain water's height transition smoother

As a Roblox developer, it is currently impossible to create smooth slopes of terrain water.

I’m currently trying to create a waterfall + lake with multiple elevation changes, and I’m running into horrible “stair-stepping” problems with terrain water.

I’ve tried very hard to smooth this out but it doesn’t seem possible. Any occupancy change in a water voxel above 0 creates this jagged, abrupt increase in height.

If I change the water to grass, this is not a problem and the terrain looks acceptably smooth.

image image

If Roblox were to fix this I’d be able to create more elaborate and immersive environments around bodies of water, and I wouldn’t have to resort to using unnatural sharp changes in elevation, using waterfall beams to transition between heights (which don’t play nice on lower graphics quality).

35 Likes

I think it’d make more sense for them to just make water an advanced part material rather than a voxel

10 Likes

This will probably be the case with the upcoming custom materials. There was a portion of the video where they showed barrels with wavy toxic waste.