Making a "Wall Climbing" System

If you use BodyVelocity, make sure that it has a high enough MaxForce property. At a high enough MaxForce, the object that the BodyVelocity is parented to will instantaneously accelerate to match the BodyVelocity’s Velocity property. (If BodyVelocity’s Velocity property is the zero vector, the object will be stationary.)

3 Likes

Yes, I realized that now. However, again, how are you keeping the player against the wall while they move?

2 Likes

In my case, after initially positioning the character, I make sure the BodyVelocity’s Velocity property is applied parallel to the wall so they maintain their distance from it.

2 Likes

That’s one of my issues right now. I actually don’t keep the player against the wall. The way I’ve been doing it is to rotate the player accordingly to the surface normal of the current part of the wall, which would make the player go parallel with the wall, however this is not optimal. Since the rotation takes some time, this will overtime make the player get further and further away from the wall, as you can see here:

https://gyazo.com/2c46bf9b2e8a998f403fac3403e1b594.gif

Notice how the player is up against the wall in the beginning, but by the end, is like 1-2 studs away from the wall.

As @JimmyChance has confirmed, positioning/CFraming the player first and then applying the velocity afterwards is a way to go about this issue, which is something I’ll try to apply to my system today. I’ll probably tween the CFrame so it seems smooth :smiley:

4 Likes

Hey how were you able to do that wall climbing thing because I really wanted to learn how, thanks!

1 Like

I made something like this a while ago, and also shared it on an identical post.

Feel free to copy.

12 Likes

can you help me about RayCasting? when pressing WASD mine is buggy.

1 Like

Ill try this out thanks alot this will def help!

1 Like

It’s still really hard to understand the code and everything thats going on could you explain it?

2 Likes

It’s Been 7 months but I need help for the BodyGyro Position to go to different surfaces.

2 Likes

Can you give us the script or uncopylock a game? Just a question.

2 Likes

If Possible to give the Uncopylocked version of the game would be helpful. Its okay if not possible.

1 Like

@austingamer12345
@GenesisofJoel

5 Likes

This is usable but when it comes to more parts its hard

1 Like

Define “usable”. Aren’t you gonna take this, inspect it’s code, learn how it works, then make your own?
Just to clarify, we here at the dev forum are not here to write scripts for you.
We’re here to provide support, and to share our knowledge and projects we’ve made.

3 Likes

To be fair my system was kind of thrown together in a short time. In order for it to use multiple surfaces you would have to hard-code the parts into a table mapping where each section would be relative to the sections adjacent to it. It could definitely be made better.

2 Likes

Sorry i Sounded Werid its just i’m new and the game im going to be doing it like everywhere its a huge map so sorry.

4 Likes

Sorry if I sounded aggressive, is there anything that I can help you with?

2 Likes

No its alright man nothing else

2 Likes

Blokav, your way of doing Wall Climbing is frankly unusable for a game where the map changes numerous times and unrelated to the Rogue Lineage Climbing System

Since Blokav’s System was unusable for my situation I followed Jimmy’s Steps as seen above to the best of my abilities this is the result:

I have a few bugs to fix after that I’ll be releasing the system to the public.

31 Likes