Many images posted on the forum are no longer being shown

Reproduction Steps

I have noticed this problem on several pages of this forum. The link provided here is just one of them.
Another example: "My Watches" showing the expand icon when table is empty

Expected Behavior

Images should always appear, as they were uploaded directly to the post and are not external images.

Actual Behavior

Issue Area: Roblox Website
Page URL: "An error occurred while starting Roblox Studio"
Impact: High
Frequency: Often

8 Likes

Can reproduce.
This is probably related:
https://devforum.roblox.com/t/cant-see-images-on-safari/1883163/1

There is currently a open Report for this, I would suggest replying to that thread:
https://devforum.roblox.com/t/images-gif-video-links-and-avatars-appear-broken/1876970

5 Likes

This bug happens on all browsers, the bug you linked is a solved bug that only occurred on Safari.

This bug report seems to be unrelated? That bug report is talking about old posts (before the cdn switch) not having working images, the OP is talking about how newly created posts can also have broken images (it seems), both bugs are likely unrelated.

3 Likes

Hey @Abcreator,
please inform you before posting.

The BugReport with the broken images by @rogeriodec_games was created in March.

The BugReport I linked was created in July, so it covers The BugReport too.

The other BugReport by @rogeriodec_games was created December, 21, so the BugReport I linked covers it too.

Of course, this happens on all Browsers, but it is still related.

5 Likes

Multiple posts have the same issue but were made after the issue, the example provided in the image just happens to be made before the time.

4 Likes

Your right, but this thread is basically a copy of

that thread, because this thread only covers two images (as friendly pointed out by @adotpme21, this thread covers also other images, but the examples are covered by my linked bug report); that were created before march.

Btw, if you have any Pictures, that aren’t visible and are created after July, you can make a new BugReport. But @rogeriodec_games images are old, so the bug report I linked covers them.

3 Likes

What browser are you using to view these pages?

3 Likes

Are you asking this because you managed to have the images visible in some browsers? Or just asked without having tested it before?

3 Likes

I’ve heard of some browsers not supporting some image formats for example edge doesn’t support the avif image format yet while other browsers do.

3 Likes

Ok, I suggest that in the following posts in the area of bugs, you only put something when you are sure to avoid unnecessarily inflating the topic.

3 Likes

Sorry let me rephrase. I’m a web developer and I know for definite that the image format avif is not supported in some browsers. I don’t understand why it’s such a hard question to answer. What web browser(s) are you seeing the issues on?

3 Likes

All images are JPEG or PNG.
If you click on any link posted in the OP you can see it.

3 Likes

Sorry for the bump. Here’s what I noticed:

• Old images with this issue are now defaulting to the transparent.png file in the forums.

• I rarely see this happen to images, but I do often see it for videos. A video is uploaded to the forums, and a few days (sometimes weeks) later it’s deleted. I’m sure that this is region-specific or is done to conserve data storage, but it could be handled differently or at least tell us the timeline of the video’s lasting duration on the Forum.

• Image previews have recently seemed to have this same issue, but clicking on them shows the image and they now have a background.

I hope this provides relevant information and details.

4 Likes

Thanks for the report. WE are investigating!

4 Likes

We did an audit last year to correct as many of these broken image references as we could – but there were still some edge cases where we didnt have the file uploads on our side so the images are now showing up as blank.

For most cases + future cases the issue is fixed, but it just happens the two links you shared are some of those that we weren’t able to resolve completely. If you still happen to have the images and could re-upload them that would be :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.