"An error occurred while starting Roblox Studio"

Edit

The possible cause is related further down in "An error occurred while starting Roblox Studio" - #23 by rogeriodec_games.

Reproduction Steps
I’m using Windows 10, Chrome 96.0.4664.45

I don’t know if it will be possible to reproduce, because it’s an intermittent problem and it probably only happens to me, but basically, the problem is to open Chrome for the first time and then try to open a place for editing in Studio.

Here is the last log:

0.505.0.5050420_20211201T234039Z_Studio_B1FC2_last.log (580.8 KB)

Expected Behavior
Studio should open without error using the method described below.

Actual Behavior
As Studio doesn’t have a quick option to open a secondary place directly through it (as described in this Studio Feature Request: Allow to open a secondary place directly, without opening the main place), I’ve been using Chrome to open this place through the link “My Creations → Places” (Create - Roblox).
In this case, I just open this link and click “Edit” for the desired place.
This has been working fine, but for about a month now, pretty much EVERY TIME I open Chrome for the first time after the computer is turned on and then click “Edit” in this desired place, I get this error:

Basically, it says: “The system could not find the specified file”.

Workaround
By closing Chrome and opening it a second time and clicking “Edit” again, Studio will open normally.

Issue Area: Studio
Issue Type: Crashing
Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Sometimes
Date First Experienced: 2021-11-15 00:11:00 (-03:00)

10 Likes

The problem continues to happen, even though I have made a complete ROBLOX uninstalling, cleaned the Windows 10 records, to not leave any ROBLOX trace on the computer.

However, after many simulations, I found a pattern to not get the error:

1. Open Chrome for the first time
  2. Close Chrome
  3. Open Chrome a second time
  4. Only open the ROBLOX STUDIO using the Edit button on the above page.

In short, the error only occurs if I try to open the Studio via Chrome for the first time that Chrome is opened.

2 Likes

Thats happening to me too it seems like roblox studio.exe is gone on the folder

2 Likes

I’m having the same issue? I cant even open my roblox studio at all without it just crashing instantly. Very annoying

1 Like

I think this error is caused by a typo, in the error message, before “RobloxStudioBeta.exe” are TWO backslashes instead of one.

5 Likes

Can’t confirm at all. I’m able to open Studio without error in anyway I can.

1 Like

Hello, I Can Confirm this bug, I’ve had the same problems as you have a few days ago.

The Solution it was uninstall roblox studio from my pc and then re-install it.

Thank You for reporting it.

1 Like

Thanks but if you read my second post you’ll see that I already did it but nothing changed.

2 Likes

Kind of the same issue happening here too. But something is with the drivers here.

I think roblox won’t give you support here, at this point I recommend you open a ticket [ Here ] And Select “Technical support”

1 Like

No, this is the official site for Studio bug reports.

1 Like

Try to open studio as an admin, it worked for me.

2 Likes

Again, Yours is not a bug at this point but Some issue probably related to your pc, if not even uninstalling and installing it helped and probably a problem related to you, and the roblox staff on this post will never answer you, it’s not a bug that other people have experienced at this point as well.
I had a similar problem of yours as mentioned above but uninstalling and installing it worked So I repeat that to fix your problem, as soon as possible contact the roblox staff [ Here ]

2 Likes

I believe it’s from my PC, too. Actually, someone said to “Open File Location” where Roblox Studio is and then you open the RobloxStudioLauncherBeta.exe. I finally got to have it installed properly after and decided to open a certain published place. The issue I am facing now is that I can’t open that certain place.
My/your network and the computer itself might be the cause of these two Roblox Studio issues.

For the real thing. Are there anything that they can implement to track this problem? I happened to reinstall Roblox thrice.

2 Likes

The problem changed after installing Studio 515.
Now, when I want to open my place via Chrome, I get ‘Access denied’:

But if I open my Chrome with Administrative privileges, Studio will open.
Why?

2 Likes

Hello i had the same problem i literally spent a week doing different tests the only thing that worked was somehow to “format” roblox studio follow the steps below

Try to change RobloxStudioLauncherBeta.exe to be opened as Admin.

If you are using a windows type the key “windows” + R that will open the run tab where you must type “regedit” that will open the registry editor inside it open the folder HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Softwares and delete everything that is named by roblox (just do this with roblox as this will clear the app cache) and thus format it

I hope it helped you :sunglasses:

The Key elevation bug is when Studio tries to read registry keys as the wrong user.

Whats happening is Studio is trying to read another user’s registry keys, which Windows does not allow, at all.

Elevating the app will obviously bypass this since it’s allowed to access any registry.

Working on something so you dont have to do this :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This certainly explains my case, as my Windows 10 has 3 different users and eventually a second user accesses Studio.
And as we know, when there is a new version available, Studio automatically updates without asking.
So I think this must be the explanation: Studio is getting lost in creating registry keys, switching to other users who update Studio, and preventing the previous user from accessing.

Well Roblox, here are the clues.
Who will take action?