Many's Ray Tracer! [GLOBAL ILLUMINATION and MORE]

New script that is better and is more optimized
Welcome to a brand new RAY TRACER!

The main reason why I abandoned the old one was because it was extremely lagging on medium to large scale games.

DISCLAIMERS!

• If you want to use this expect a lot of lag on lower-end devices. So add a option to toggle this on or off if you are using this(also use the “Enabled” option in the configuration or else it may break)
  • Insert this in StarterPlayerScripts for it to fully work
  • This does NOT create real-time reflections.(I don’t believe that is currently possible with the current roblox client)
  • This is recommended to use with shadow map
  • If you are wondering what the configuration values do read the script called “README” in the configuration

FEATURES

• Global Illumination (of course!)
  • Water Caustics
  • Neon Parts and Cracked Lava now emit light!
  • Light that travels through transparent parts that don’t emit shadows will now change color
  • Works with terrain!
Before/After

Global Illumination

Before:

After:

Light traveling through glass
Before:

After:

Cracked Lava Emitting Light

Before:

After:

Neon Part Emitting Light

Before:

After:

Water Caustics

Before:

After:

Want to see an example? TRY IT OUT HERE!

DOWNLOAD HERE: Many’s Ray Tracer

Would you use this for your game?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Last Update:

29 Likes

That’s super cool! If I use this should I provide credit?

1 Like

You don’t have to if you don’t want to. But I would appreciate it. ( Sorry for late reply)

Can I use the previous script instead, because I want it to work with PointLights, does the previous script still work?

1 Like

The previous script still works from what I know, the problem is is that it is really laggy and I won’t be updating that one anymore. BUT I might make this script work with point lights soon.

This is amazing, only 2 questions though:
– Is there a problem if I use it with future lighting?
– The map I’m going to use it on is massive will it be laggy?

1 Like

Future lighting is just more resource demanding and I was designing this with shadow map because it looks a lot more smoother, I’m not stopping you from using it but it can get more laggy when you use it and it can look out of place a little(In my opinion). And your game will probably lag in a massive map because no matter what you do, the more parts there are, the more lag will be created by raycasts. (Also I’m going to make it work with point lights which may make more lag once released)

2 Likes

NEW UPDATE! As requested, the script now works with PointLights but if the game is lagging to much for you you can disable it with the new option AllowPointLights.

1 Like

NEW UPDATE AGAIN! I have added a feature to help smaller details like neon parts get noticed. Just insert a “Number Value” into a small part and call it “ForceCheckLight” and set the value to 0-3.

1 Like

thats pretty cool! will use!!

1 Like

NEW UPDATE AGAIN! SPOT LIGHTS ARE NOW SUPPORTED. (to disable them just disable “AllowPointLights”)

Why neons only emit light when they are on screen? It happens in the showcase place.

Because there is no reason to waste resources(aka RAM) to run extra rays to create lights that you can’t even see. It is a way of optimizing.

1 Like

I can’t join your showcase game BC is private I want to look how the ray tracing looks

what just edit it

1 Like

This implementation of ray tracing looks pretty crude. From what I see you are only tracing 1 (or maybe 0.25 or 0.5?) rays per pixel, and then using a crude denoiser (Maybe A-Trous, or just blank filling algorithm)? This seems to have horrible temporal results, making it change the colors on the screen every frame, making some funky results even when not moving. If you are implementing A-Trous for denoising right now, it would be pretty simple to implement SVGF for adding some temporal denoising:

https://teamwisp.github.io/research/svfg.html

There is a video of you showing it BC I am on mobile not on pc.

And what if I use bakery plugin and many’s ray tracer
If the global illumination will move and light will move then I will use it

Yeah, I have to agree that this ray tracers looks ugly. Which is why I kinda abandoned it.

1 Like

Sorry but I don’t plan on releasing a video, but there are images of you want to see what it looks like.

1 Like

But if you add baked global illumination plugin and your will it look even better or more bad