Material Generator Is Now Available for Everyone

but it’s a material generator that sucks
the results are inconsistent, look like they’re taken straight from an early 2000’s video game, and better textures can be found from a few google searches. That’s the real qualm we should be focusing on

I like the idea. Although I haven’t used it much, it will lessen time of making your own textures. Nice feature :+1:

1 Like

agree lol

This text will be blurred

if your excuse for defending ai slop is by insulting others, you have no grounds to stand on in the first place.

11 Likes

Where are the normal engine updates like emission maps for surface appearance! This AI nobody needs it

Idk what most of you are getting upset about. This is honestly one of the more useful AI tools Roblox has implemented. I’ll definitely be using this.

Also 512 x 512 is isn’t too bad a resolution. If you have too many 2K / 4K textures, it can really slow down an experience for some devices, without even having that big a difference.

2 Likes

The main problem that people don’t understand is why ai is unethical.

download

I completely agree with this.

Maybe because how the AI is trained is unethical and directly steals off of artists to train.

Yes I have, and that is not ai, it is procedural.

2 Likes

Cool stuff. Hopefully this very shortly, the prompt you put in is what you expected. I used it a little bit, and when I say “Cartoon”, “Cartoony” it still gives Realistic output and that’s not what I’m expecting

Here’s an example:

• I’m expecting

Is Roblox can only make realistic textures? hopefully, it can also make the cute style :slight_smile:

3 Likes

IIRC, it just takes random stored images and combines them to make the texture for you, like other “image generators”. It’ll probably always give you results like this sadly.

1 Like

Complain at the companies training these AIs, or promote companies that offer effective and ethical AI models, there are surely organized groups making concentrated efforts to steer this technology in the right direction. This technology is here and it is everywhere; it is not going to go away. Flocking to every application of the technology going “booooo ai bad” is counterproductive to steering it into an ethical direction and makes people stop listening to you. You are not having any impact whatsoever by complaining here, redirect your effort.

3 Likes

Look, you’re entitled to your opinion, but you’re making some pretty broad assumptions here.

First off, greyboxing isn’t as rigid as you’re making it out to be. The term has evolved, and many devs use basic textures in their greyboxing phase. It’s about rapid prototyping, not strictly adhering to a texture-less approach. Your arguments is grasping at straws and arbitrary rules you set to further move your argument along

Secondly, you can’t speak for everybody. Saying “nobody is using this for greyboxing or prototyping” is just false. Plenty of devs are experimenting with AI tools in various stages of development, including early prototyping.

Sure, the tech is still developing, but that’s exactly why people are exploring its potential now. Not every project needs AAA-quality assets from the get-go. For indie devs or small teams, even “half-baked” assets can be a huge time-saver for getting ideas off the ground.

You’re free to dislike the current output quality, but dismissing the entire technology and its potential uses based on your personal taste is short-sighted. The quality will improve, and people will find valuable ways to incorporate it into their workflows, whether you approve or not.

What was the point of this reply? You provided no arguments.

Sorry I didn’t mean to reply, I just did the quote and I must have not noticed that I was replying to you.

I am not saying that it is bad, I believe that ai art is unethical, BUT I do think it is fine when used to help you learn something, rather than be used to completely replace someone’s work.

There is no “we” in this situation, and if it is it’s probably a minority compared to the people who don’t want it. If Roblox were to run a public poll asking if people liked AI or wanted more features with it the results would more than likely show the majority of people don’t want more AI additions rather than something useful which would benefit everybody.

5 Likes

Also, I would like to mention how this “material generator” could’ve been better by instead of being ai, being a tool like adobe substance painter.

1 Like

this is what I want, it could still use ai, but right now its basically the same as asking stable diffusion to generate “an image of bricks” (outside of the PBR stuff which I will admit is pretty impressive), it literally just looks like a poorly prompted AI image. If this was not only of a higher quality, but also simply a better tool, there would be a lot less complaints.

I think this is what annoys me so much when I see stuff like this. Why are we completely removing the need for human input in these processes beyond just typing a prompt and pressing a button? We’re making the AI do all of the work in entire artistic fields, from start to finish - couldn’t it just be a helping hand instead? Like instead of generating whole images why can’t I still be the one moving the pen while it works through inconsistencies in my shading, or smooths out my lines, or something… everything is going to look so samey otherwise. It’s depressing.

2 Likes

Yeah. But it doesn’t look good. That’s the problem, if it looked good, nobody would complain.

I think this is poor choice of words on your part, the term “greyboxing” implies little to no textures, when you search up examples of greyboxing, it has little to no textures outside of a few highlights here and there.

greybox examples I found off google

given these examples, when you mention greyboxing, the mental picture most people (outside of you, apparently) have in their head is a textureless layout of a map, something where this feature would not come into use.

that was clear and obvious hyperbole

I don’t dismiss the entire technology, in fact, I’d say im pretty pro ai overall; I just HEAVILY dislike this implementation, as it doesn’t give good enough results to warrant even being implemented in the first place.
Screenshot 2024-09-04 164232
I ask for a white brick wall, 2 of the 4 results are basically unusable for what i wanted
I ask for molten lava, and it gives me these
these look like lava, but they’re all at an odd angle, so actually using it on a texture makes it look like a piece of art and not actually a texture.
Overall, the quality of the actual feature is laughable, at best, and genuinely bad at worst, since the technology isn’t exactly there yet, its obvious this was just put out to appease the current AI trend happening on the platform/in the development world.

Might I add, that this isnt even getting into the morality side of things, and where the training data is sourced upon; To my knowledge roblox hasn’t given any of that information out.

3 Likes