Material Generator Is Now Available for Everyone

Hey Creators,

We’re excited to announce that Material Generator is now available to everyone in Studio! It’s now incredibly easy to create new, inventive material variants with PBR maps using just a text prompt. Material Generator is available in our new Material Picker. To access it:

1. Navigate to the Model tab and select “Material”
  2. Click “Generate New Material” within the Material Picker to launch Material Generator
  3. Enter a text prompt and generate your Material Variant

Once you generate a material, you can select a base material to apply physical properties to your material variant. You can also configure the material variant to your liking, including changing studs per tile, the tiling pattern, and the material name.

All materials are 512x512, and are generated with normal, roughness, and basic metalness maps.

What’s new Material Generator?

We’ve loved watching all of you supercharge your creativity using the Material Generator beta. Since Material Generator went into beta last year, we’ve seen over 45,000 people use the tool, creating over 230,000 new MaterialVariants!

During the beta, we’ve listened to your concerns and made improvements. Firstly, we’ve added UX Improvements to make managing your generations easier. Generations will now include the ability to separate generations by prompt, and easily inspect/copy the prompts corresponding to each generation.

Click the icon on the right side of the separator to copy your prompt

You can also right-click on any generation to remove it, or toggle between plane and sphere previews.

We’ve also made some smaller quality improvements to make working with Material Generator quicker and more effective. These include:

• Bug fixes to improve seams and tiling
  • Model quality improvements
  • Speed improvements
  • Integration of Material Generator into Assistant

Show us your new materials in the comments! We’re super excited to see all the new materials that you create.

112 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 9 minutes.

Oh, It’s AI slop…

170 Likes

While I don’t have too much of a bad opinion on ai, I don’t think I’ll be using this for a very long time.
At least until its over 512x512.

13 Likes

Emissive Maps are still being gatekept btw, I just very much wonder what is Roblox’s Priorities regarding Developers demands for the platform

30 Likes

Yeah, it’s a bit irritating having to use workarounds just to make something glow. I’m not too sure what they’re focusing on, but it’s probably not something worth using for now.

13 Likes

and JUST when I was getting back into making something. :frowning_face:

7 Likes

Can there be like a way to preview it on any meshobject before hand?

5 Likes

As cool as it sounds, I feel like the textures themselves being generated look like a giant red flag that’s screaming ‘I’M AI GENERATED!!!’.

Then again, I don’t think I’d even use anything AI related any time soon, so I can’t really complain.

5 Likes

Asking Roblox for any feature that any industry standard engine has is like asking the Chum Bucket to make a Krabby Patty

43 Likes

We don’t want more AI stuff, Roblox :roll_eyes:

17 Likes

I know right?! Roblox ignores their community and just adds AI stuff!

8 Likes

I just think that the things that it generates look terrible in the previews and most likely on parts too.

8 Likes

I’m not against AI stuff if it doesn’t look like it was generated by AI, in other words AI generated content looks awful.

7 Likes

No stop, we don’t need AI stuff right now Roblox. It just looks bad and soulless.

19 Likes

AI is the most soulless thing ever, especially when roblox makes it.

5 Likes

I swear, some of you see “AI” and your brains just shut off. Did any of you actually stop and think about how this could be useful? Like for prototyping or greyboxing? Probably not, 'cause that would mean thinking for yourself.

It’s wild how quick people are to hate on new stuff without even giving it a chance, because its a trend to do so.

42 Likes

Im not a fan of soulless AI generated content taking over a platform that i have interacted with and played for years, right now the generator doesn’t look very good as you can easily tell its AI generated and it just doesn’t look good at all in most cases.

With all due respect, i don’t care.

6 Likes

why is everyone complaining about this its really good
it will allow us to get textures much faster while keeping them look good a W feature

i donot want to spend alot of my time searching for a texture on the web for it to look bad or spend alot of time making one not all people are good at art

8 Likes

AI-generated content is here to stay, whether you like it or not. The platform isn’t just for you - it’s evolving for all users.

Your opinion on how it looks is subjective. Many find AI-generated content impressive and valuable. Just because you can tell it’s AI doesn’t mean it’s bad.

The “soulless” argument is tired. Plenty of human-made content lacks soul too. AI is a tool, like any other. It’s about how it’s used.

If you’ve been here for years, you’ve seen the platform change before. This is just another evolution. Adapt or find somewhere else that caters to your preferences.

Your personal tastes don’t dictate the direction of technology or this platform. The rest of us are excited to explore new possibilities with AI. You’re free to stick to purely human-made content if you want, but don’t expect the whole community to limit itself because you’re uncomfortable with change.

17 Likes