Material Generator Is Now Available for Everyone

Hopefully in 3 years or so itll be able to use this

3 Likes

in 3 years you could learn to make textures yourself instead of making the same ugly ai generated clicker game that 10000 other people already made (or just use ai if you make games for money and not passion)

3 Likes

I can’t wait for the material ‘glass’ to ‘generate’ transparent objects behind it, that would be so nice and so AI, sugoi wholesome, please roblocks.

4 Likes

Ignore all of the tired clowns posting here about how “we don’t want AI”.

Yes we do. There’s a grand total of six decent CC0 PBR material websites out there and they are woefully insufficient. This is amazing tech and I’m so glad to see it released, this makes it possible for anyone to get started making impressive worlds without needing a bunch of knowledge related to shopping for, creating, finding, or modifying PBR maps to be suitable on Roblox, and makes it possible to iterate rapidly on environment look and feel.

This is the future and I’m excited to see Roblox making it easier than ever for creators to bring their imagination to life. This was how I got started with my creative pursuits as a kid, and how I ended up in my career now. Ease of access is huge for young and new creators. It’s all about getting the snowball rolling.

WRT this tool, were any improvements made in the direction of preventing users from accidentally uploading things they could get moderated for without realizing it? The language on the apply button previously did not make it clear that this involved an upload to your account.

8 Likes

no it doesnt. if you arent a good artist who knows how to make things that look good, your builds with ai generated materials will look as bad as the ones you built with roblox’s already existing materials. also, games dont need realistic textures to look good. there are a lot of games on roblox that look good with smooth textures or even ms paint textures.
i cant see the material generator doing anything besides discouraging people from trying to improve their art

12 Likes

I want ai, this just ain’t it
the textures don’t look good, the feature seems to be the exact same from the beta release (unless i’m missing something), it’s just not a good product. Maybe in 3-4 years when AI texture generation is actually at a sufficient level people won’t be so negative about this, but until then expect to see people rightfully complaining

3 Likes

Don’t really want more AI stuff anymore because it quite literally is just bloat if nobody uses it which seems like most don’t judging by this post except for some.

7 Likes

Hmmmmm it tastes like AI.

1 Like

Heart this person, a good take.

2 Likes

Someone tell David Baszucki that we don’t like AI.

The only people who like AI are those who don’t have the talent to make a simple game.

3 Likes

It’s fascinating what’s going on in the brain of an AI-Supporter…

2 Likes

I put this together using free meshparts and the material generator. All but the grass material are generated. It’s not perfect, but it absolutely gets the point across and is more than sufficient for someone trying to bootstrap their vision and get something good enough off the ground. It’s being disingenuous to insist that there is no use for this technology. You are not using your imagination enough as an established creator. There are people much less skilled and much less confident trying to get started.

Whoops now it’s an alien planet, and it took barely any time at all compared to what I would have spent trying to find/create/commission replacement textures.

8 Likes

Having used this tool again there’s a few issues to mention:

• It’s possible to click through the control panel layer and change the selected texture.
  • Choosing a base material is tedious, I feel like it should be inferred from keywords in the prompt, or searchable by typing in the dropdown.
  • When the widget is not focused or not visible, it’s confusing that the selected parts get the material preview.
  • The initial view of the tool kind of sucks, it’s empty with nothing to inspire.
  • The temp materials generated by the tool flood the material picker with hundreds of materials unless you use the Applied filter.
  • I still need to be able to flip/rotate the materials, I kept ending up with bamboo oriented incorrectly, etc.
  • I need to be able to toggle greyscale for a whole texture, or desaturate it partially to preserve minor color variation, it’s not possible to get good results by specifying “greyscale” or “black and white”.
8 Likes

I agree. I think there are genuine reasons to criticize and debate about AI and its impact on the world and specific industries like game dev but it seems like there is a large group of people who have fallen into AI = bad camp and aren’t willing to come to a more nuanced opinion and recognize the good it brings as well. I personally think this is a great feature and will help out smaller creators who may not have the time or skills to manually create materials.

2 Likes

You guys need to realize that most of the artists in Roblox are already using AI.

Have you ever heard of substance painter 3D? procedural textures? edge wear? If you’re a 3D modeler and you suck at texturing then substance painter 3D is where you go for comfort. You can get edge wear with one click (not so different than the material generator huh?).

in 3D modeling there are many procedural tools that can generate amazing creations, which are used daily on games that you might love or hate.

There is no escape to procedural generation, because the world is full of dishonesty, so get used to it.

1 Like

I don’t mean to be that guy, but my forum post on how the beta feature is broken for me has went and still is unanswered for over a week.

4 Likes

Great feature, will be used by people as a way to quickly visualize their game or even use it in the finished game. İm looking extremely forward for the avatar auto setup tool to be fully released just like this

1 Like

rule no 1 when dealing with big soulless corpo entities, every single word they say is to appease you, barely anything noticeable has changed between the beta and this release.

2 Likes

Just an image generator, but it has a check to make the texture continuous. Just that.

1 Like

Can everyone actually stop complaining about this? its literally a material generator its not that big of a deal.

4 Likes