Material Physics, UI Improvements, and Marketplace Materials

i crave custom shaders like other engines

5 Likes

This is a massive massive improvement, especially on accessibility. Great update!

4 Likes

When will you remove the Material manager and add back material selector? This is messing up my work flow.

4 Likes

A material graph editor like in Unreal would work wonders!

5 Likes

Could the roblox devs add lighting filters like cell shading?

5 Likes

You don’t, in MaterialService, scroll down all the way to the bottom & under the tab, “Material Pack”, uncheck “Use2022Materials”

Then you have yourself the old Roblox textures!

2 Likes

That’s a great idea, I can think of so many ideas of games that could take advantage of cell shading!

1 Like

Not bad but it could have been better

Technically cel shading is possible in roblox but it requires a really hack-y solution to do so.

3 Likes

Hello everyone, we’ve decided to release this out of beta! Our documentation has also been updated to match the new workflows.

3 Likes

does this include adding a SurfaceAppearance.Color property that behaves identically to VertexColor? It is vital functionality, many agree.

On an unrelated note, introducing a ‘Grass’ shader object ( similar to Highlight ) which treats whatever BasePart instance it’s parented to the same way as it treats grass terrain would be really useful as there is no way to efficiently do the effect for custom materials, but that’s just my opinion.

4 Likes

Great, I am happy to use this feature! Are there any estimates on more terrain variants? for example, a map may have dark grass but a plains-like landscape in that same game may need some brighter, orange-ish grass with the decoration feature.

1 Like

Will there be an ability to set a secondary colormap?
(Also, a cool thing would be 2 types of rotation tiling. One for standard tiling, and one for organic tiling.)
Other than that, this is great to see! Can’t wait to see how games evolve with these new features!

2 Likes

I agree with this. We need to get some sort of way to be able to reproduce materials such as the corroded metal. Right now if we want to create some black part with corroded metal on it, we need to use one of the built in materials, or use a texture instance. or simply make a meshpart with a surfaceappearance. I’d really like to see some sort of secondary texture option that will not change its color based on our parts, so we can make our own corroded metal, grass, bricks and many other textures!

2 Likes

You only require a Highlight. You can apply it to anything, just have to search for it.

You’re confusing cel shading with toon shading. Toon shading is just an outline to objects with standard shading. Cel shading is much more simplistic and stylized with sharp shadows, flat colors and a style that reselmbles old cartoons drawn on ‘cels’, hence the name cel shading.

1 Like

I just tested it and it works perfectly. There is only one problem, which is I now have to use custom materials. Is there a way to keep the old materials but with different physical properties? I tried to import the roblox default terrain textures from its folder but the colors were weird.

Glad it works. Are you trying to override terrain materials?

I actually just wanted to customize each terrain material with its own physical properties, but without needing to change the actual textures, because I didn’t yet find ones that are good enough to replace.
Edit: I have found a workaround:

• Set your materialvariants and its physical properties on the game;
  • Next, make a localscript to change the materialvariants back to its default variant, with this function: game.MaterialService:SetBaseMaterialOverride(Enum.Material.Glacier,“Glacier”);
  • The server will now keep the physical properties from the material variant you made but keep using the original roblox textures. Unfortunately, it won’t work only on local parts and probably on your character.
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.