Material Service Beta Updated with Per Part Custom Materials + More

2 Likes

i think they should ad AO map lso, it would be very nice and would improve realism

1 Like

I agree, I can partially get an AO result by baking it into the diffuse map in paint. net via layer properties then setting it to multiply.

2 Likes

Is there a way to mark out parts of a colormap to not change? Trying to make a custom brick textue keep its grout stay white while being able to recolor the bricks themselves.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, no. Other creators and I have requested it, with those requests seemingly being ignored.

1 Like

Is there a reason why Surface Appearance textures are exhibiting behaviors of material service? It appears Roblox is now auto-blending edges (similar to organic) for everything. I use fully seamless textures and this looks horrible!

Compare while the game is playing to what gets loaded into studio:

The UV mess is very specific to the edge of the SurfaceAppearance:

2 Likes

Is it prob because of this?

I do not suspect auto-skinning for the graphical bugs I am seeing. I deleted the WrapLayers and got the same results. Also, I have not made auto-skinning work yet. Not for lack of trying.

I will say that it is definitely related to animation or skinned meshes. The same mesh unanimated does not have this problem.

1 Like

I was originally planning to replace all the textures on walls with a custom material for (presumably) a huge performance boost, however if custom materials are never to appear on mobile then this would be unviable.

:rofl::rofl:
In all seriousness though, we really need an update on the terrain decorations. Whether it’s an announcement saying it’s cancelled or not, developers seem to have been left behind on this feature. I’m aware the video was a tech demo and recently a wind fflag appeared but what happened to the brushes, rocks, flowers etcetera? It was on the roadmap in 2019 and now there isn’t any trace of it anymore.

I expected the custom material update to come with custom terrain decoration but no, we once again didn’t get informed about the terrain decoration whatsoever.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.