Max brightness system

As a Roblox developer, it is currently impossible to make max brightness for light Instances

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because my game wouldn’t be as blindingly bright.

Now if you don’t understand what this is, let me explain: It’ll be a system like the game Minecraft has implemented. When you place light source blocks near each other, the light doesn’t keep getting brighter and brighter, it actually stays at a max brightness.

I have this exploding orb thing in my game, and it shoots these orbs that emit light. Well, when you throw the orb at a wall, most of the orbs will cluster together and create a super bright blob of brightness.

I also saw this in a Minecraft-like Roblox game where if people spammed torches everywhere, it’d do the same exact thing.

23 Likes

The engine simulates lighting realistically as far as I understand it. Lights in real life don’t just reach some capacity, so I’m not sure how this can be reconciled. I feel like lights blow up on Roblox much faster than they should though.

This is a problem in my game as well, players will stack light sources until the entire area becomes unplayable. I can do some hacky nonsense to try and mitigate this, but it would not be good UX and it feels needless.

2 Likes

Something like:

1. Try to place a light source
  2. Check nearby light sources within the radius of the light source
  3. Compare their radius to the new light source radius
  4. If overlapping, change their values so the sum of all their lights is the maximum brightness
    For example, if you have two lights at 0.8 brightness but you want a max of 1, set both their brightness to 0.5 and their sum will be 1.
2 Likes