Max Player Count Increased (in Beta)

Right? We should all also be reminded of the fact that Roblox’s in-game client engine is still 32-bit, which can limit the server performance and player capacity, too!

7 Likes

Yes, Humanoids do need more stuff rachjumper. I feel like there isn’t enough features for the humanoid parts of each ROBLOX character. I totally agree with your statement and we should need more stuff with the humanoid figures for the normal startercharacters and players.

3 Likes

I think he was more getting at the fact that humanoids are really performance heavy, not that they need more features

4 Likes

I don’t know about having 700 players in one game, wouldn’t things lag? I mean like things already start lagging at around 100-150 Players. Unless you guys solved the issue.

2 Likes

Roblox’s lighting and mesh deformation updates shouldn’t affect server performance, but they certainly could cause performance problem for client devices especially when paired with 1000 players playing the game.

2 Likes

Awesome to hear that Roblox is trying to get stable servers with 700 max players. I hope the people in beta could help get roblox closer to this goal.

1 Like

Yes, they do not affect server performance, but keep in mind that every single player is rendered in the world at the same time. Imagine if all of them were moving around using R15 with skinned meshes, which can already have a heavy impact due to constantly updating faces while the game uses phase 3 lighting. It’d be terrible in terms of both latency AND actual performance.
Even if nobody was moving in a 1,000 player server with default lighting, no skinned meshes, and absolutely no inputs were being sent back and forth that would mean 1,000 player models would have to be rendered on every frame. You are still right, though. Latency issues are the main problem of performance impacts.

3 Likes

I am curious — will this inevitably lead to playable 200-player servers? I’d love to have 200 players in a single server, but my concern is that ROBLOX is reaching a point where they can’t improve performance much more. It seems difficult to believe that we’ve gone from 50 player servers to 200 in such a short amount of time.

My game will be a role playing game so it won’t be particularly performance heavy, but I’m concerned that ROBLOX is over-stretching themselves here. Don’t run before you can walk.

What I’m trying to say is that I don’t see the point in increasing the player capacity when almost no-one is making use of the current player capacity, either due to a lack of demand or a lack of performance optimisations. It isn’t filling me with confidence.

3 Likes

Do you have any data backing up the performance issues? Other comments suggest they’ve greatly optimized since first whispers.

1 Like

Can we get text field instead of a dropdown for the maximum player count selection? Kind of annoying scrolling through it.

4 Likes

This is amazing! but for the Roblox Beta Testers group it has been CONTENT DELETED & it is locked so is there a new group beside the original Roblox Beta Testers that got locked?

4 Likes

At what point does it make sense to just let us punch in a number instead of a dropdown list with 700 options? :sweat_smile:

32 Likes

I don’t even have a use case for servers above 50-80 players honestly, but good to know that this level of testing is in the pipeline. This will hopefully pave the way for stress testing the platform and seeing what needs to be improved before games this large can be made a reality on the platform. Probably most applicable for roleplay groups, I still see games that never surpass 30 counts.

The most important crux here is Humanoids, because of all the processes they are applying while they are in an active running server. Roblox needs to heavily optimise or prioritise the Humanoid’s deprecation for an option with a much less significant footprint, while ensuring that said option is peak and worthy of waiting for componentisation. I develop a roleplay game which also has a large amount of NPC figures, so without players it already feels like a super large server.

The expense can be significantly lowered by having the client do most of the heavy lifting, such as handling the rendering of NPCs while the server treats characters as one part (their root). The expense can be lowered by making NPCs pure data on the server as well, but of course still sort of need Humanoids because of what it offers (mostly all of its baked-in rendering processes).

9 Likes

50 player servers - That’s a lot of players

100 player servers - Laaaaaggggg

200 player servers - R.I.P people’s devices

700 player servers - Universe:FindFirstChild(“Earth”) could not be found

48 Likes

You can actually already punch in a number. Simply click the drop down and start typing the number.

That said, I agree that it may be more intuitive to be presented with a text input field rather than the current drop down.

5 Likes

700 players yet most games still struggle for stability over 100 players…

6 Likes

This should be interesting!.. :smiley:

I have a question, I’ve always dreamed of having of having large minimal lag servers of around 1K+ users in a server. For things like war games, award ceremonies, etc. Will you guys test 1K+ for the Bloxy Awards? I think that’d be cool.

4 Likes

Wow, Roblox is really swinging for the fences!

I’m struggling to think of a use-case where I’d ever want that many people in a game though. My first thought was like an MMORPG, but it would suffer from issues where a lot of players want to go to the same spot. Like imagine 700 players in that starter spawn town in Runescape.

But whatever. If Roblox is optimizing for 700 players, that’s really good news, because that means games with like 50 players should be that much better.

17 Likes

Sounds good, but this will make games blow up lol.

2 Likes

Would be cool, cool but 3 fps lol.

4 Likes