Max Player Count Increased (in Beta)

700? You’d better have SO MANY state-of-the-art performance updates. Adopt me had 600K players and it lagged EVERYTHING. But imagine Adopt me and Roblox BOTH having to handle 700 players per server? That’d be crazy.

5 Likes

Seems like it can’t even handle 200 players; the moment Flamingo joined, the server became unplayable.

Though maybe crossroads isn’t optimized well enough for 700 players with the number of projectiles flying around.

6 Likes

This is, however, going to be amazing for MMORPG games.

4 Likes

I’m gonna be honest 700 players is alot of players. Hopefully, they can expand even further.

1 Like

Wow 700 players that is a huge achievement but how can there be a game with so many players

4 Likes

The Roblox platform will need way more optimization to make triple digit player capabilities per server feasible.
Servers already struggle dealing with many humanoids (player characters and NPCs) in them and clients have a difficult time maintaining 60 FPS in the in-game roblox client, especially with the more resource expensive features enabled (FIB3 and Surface Appearances come to mind) - even on high-end computers.

I hope Roblox will prioritize performance more in the near future across the board.

There are many great features in development that excite me, but it’s a shame that the performance is intolerable when using these features. It forces developers to simplify their creations to account for these limits.

3 Likes

700 players

Bottom text

Seriously though, when Adopt me will increase their player limit to 700, be sure to get an invite to Roblox’s servers’ funeral.

11 Likes

I agree, although I feel a big limitation with performance right now is the cpu, and hopefully this year we will get multithreading (According to the roadmap) which may or may not help immensely.

1 Like

another epic update !

despite the fact that not all games will need 700 players in one server. this gives potential to open world games to be possible. which is amazing !

4 Likes

that’s really great, but i am more interested in what practical use this serves, like, who in their right mind will ever try to manage 700 player servers? not even “hub worlds” realistically need that many players

2 Likes

Incredible update. Now, realistically speaking, I do not think people will be using the feature at its fullest capacity, but it is a nice feature. I have seen scenarios where people ran out of the 200 player cap, especially when it comes to roleplaying groups that host meetings or other special events, so this feature will come in very handy to them. Right now, I do not believe any decent games in general are really optimized for that amount of players, and I do believe that this will cause a lot of lag on the bigger games of the platform, but it is just something that the developers will have to figure out by optimizing their game in a way for it to work. If such optimization is available in the future, then I can already think of many games who would take advantage of it, especially roleplaying games that have the purpose to have everyone in one game at one time. Other than that, hopefully it won’t crash the Roblox servers. Very nice addition, and I hope to see it in use in the future. Good job and I cannot wait for what is next in the list.

1 Like

It is stated bigger servers are achieved here through engine performance improvements. Will this be described in greater detail? Will there be options to disable default replication, to resource our custom replicators better?

If the engine improvements here mean stronger network replication ability, than custom replicators like my own will benefit from this as well. I know this optimization raises the scale of the inbuilt case, but will it help my Lua replicator also? The character faces their look direction, just like in Jailbreak. That’s hundreds of additional custom replicants at these scales.

4 Likes

So, that was pretty chaotic!

(Credit to @ColdCrazyGoku)

13 Likes

Damn this is pretty cool, I really like that they added a bigger maximum player count, this is perfect for very big open world games, I am waiting for it to be out in the public. :smiley:

3 Likes

(im not saying it wont lag because it will) but im pretty sure that also may be because way too many people are spamming in chat (since they know its flamingo) im not sure though.

2 Likes

700 players? I can only imagine a match game that needs to find players and teleport to other games when found. I don’t think it would be great for Open-world type games, but overall, queuing become much faster for match game instead of 200.

2 Likes

But if Roblox is saying servers can handle 700 people, how good are they talking about? are they saying thats the point where it will break or where you can actually play something.

3 Likes

Wow this is some crazy stuff honestly. The ideas of having a unique 700 player count game can be endless. It just goes show how much Roblox has changed over the past few years. I know it will not be perfect but to be honest you kinda have to expect that considering you can have 700 players in one sever.

2 Likes

I don’t really know. I have actually never seen more than 500 players in one entire server lol. I’m just saying that the lag may also be because so many people is spamming in chat.

2 Likes

I mean with 700 players talking just normally in a chat it would seem like spam…

6 Likes