Memory Usage Export

As a Roblox developer, it is currently not possible to save memory usage stats for review later.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because it’d allow me to better investigate memory issues in a live game.

Right now memory information can’t be dumped, it can only be logged to the dev console (which as far as I can tell, doesn’t go to Roblox logs or anything, so it isn’t great for reviewing or sharing the data)

The ability to dump or export memory usage statistics from the dev console to save and be able to compare memory usage for different categories would be great. It would also make investigating memory issues in live games easier since it’d be possible to join a bigger selection of servers and quickly dump all of the data for them without needing to rely on lots of screenshots or inspecting the data one server at a time.

Possibly allowing non-developers to export CSV data of their memory usage would also be pretty cool in specific circumstances but I don’t think this is too huge.

7 Likes

This is the case with datastores too (without external programs that connect to the API). There’s no API call you can make to prompt a file save in Studio. This would be useful for downloading memory data and then measuring the size of it. The output also has a limit.

While I agree that we should have the ability to create files in order to see our game’s performance, I just want to point out:

Now I know what you mean by file saving (create → set → save) but this could work with StringValues, if the function would’ve worked in the Player app.

It doesn’t appear to save it as a text file though.