Mesh creation - odd mesh size corruption

Hello :wave: this is my first post on the dev forum so apologies if I get something wrong!

I would like to know how to fix (if there is a way to fix) an issue that is occurring for me when I import thin meshes into roblox where it resizes itself to either be too big or too small.

In detail, when importing thin meshes (a simple plain for example) roblox seems to resize the mesh to be much bigger than it actually is yet the hitbox of said mesh is the same size as what it should be. (See below)

I attempted to do what was said on this post Exported mesh from Blender doesn't have the same size with original one - #15 by mxdanger but it doesn’t seem to help and I’m pretty sure that’s not even what is going on with my mesh.

If anyone has any tips or suggestions on how I can fix this problem then please let me know.

technical information

• I export using .fbx (yes I’ve tried .obj and it seems to be the same problem)
  • I use blender 2.9
  • At the time of writing this, I’m on roblox studio version 0.461.0.416397

Thank you in advance,
Morgan

I’ve never encountered this error before, but you could try changing the scale of the object in the export menu.

1 Like

This issue has occurred to me also, I found the workaround to create a brand new mesh object and not separate from the other mesh objects.

I saw that in another post, I have tried that but it doesn’t always work :confused:

Could you elaborate please? I’m not quite sure what you mean

Did you separate this corrupt mesh object from another mesh object?

Yes, the whole model is supposed to be an interactive screen that would be used in a fast-food restaurant and the mesh that I tried to import was the screen of it.

So create a square face, not a cube. Remesh and don’t join with other meshes, that was my solution to the same problem I had.

I think I understand what you mean, I’m going to leave the post open for a bit more time so I can see if anyone else has a better alternative but if not then I’ll mark that as the solution, thank you.

I think this is a bug, as I had the same issue. Hope this gets resolved so it won’t happen to others.

1 Like

I see that you referenced my other post. If setting the scale to 0.01 for exporting does not appear to work even if you have your 1 meter to 1 stud ratio correct, then that means you need to apply the object scale changes you’ve made in Blender before exporting. Enter object mode, select the mesh, and use Ctrl + A to bring up a context menu where you can either apply scale or all transformations.
blender apply transformations context menu screenshot

3 Likes

I’ll try that out - thanks :slight_smile:

I too have had issues with importing thin meshes.

I think it’s worth to check the following:

Have you imported a mesh from Roblox to check the scaling compared to your mesh?

If it’s too big, this might cause issues. If this is the case I recommend scaling it down, exporting as a .obj or a .fbx (but make sure it’s at scaling 0.01).

I also assume you’re using the Roblox asset manager. If not, does this bug still replicate there?

1 Like

Hello. This workabout it NOT a valid solution. Sometimes you HAVE to join meshes with other meshes. of cut up a bigger complex model into smaller parts.

I have exactly the same problem. I have uploaded thousands of meshes to roblox, produced in many different ways, separating meshes, cutting the up, joining and unjoining in Blender, all these are things that often have to be done… BUT I NEVER encountered this bug. I have had similar problems with other game engines or platforms, but applying ALL TRANSFORMS in blender has always fixed this. This is a VERY annoying bug and I am really stuck on a project because of it!

I just found one workaround (not ideal) I add a very small face somewhere on the mesh, to that it is not just a plane, a place were it does not bother me, and the mesh imports fine. When I have imported a bulk of meshes, I can replace the ones that are corrupt by changing the mesh ID, and their position and size are correct afterwards.
Still, I insist this IS A BUG and needs to be fixed.

this capture shows the meshes in studio, and also in the asset manager after import. Oddly the ‘corrupt’ (the thin, oversized) mesh does not have a mesh icon, but the intact one does…

1 Like