Mesh Importing

I want to create a 3D model in an external program, then upload it as a Roblox asset and use it in my game.
It’s been wanted since the dawn of Roblox and the closest thing to it that we have is CSG.

CSG is all good because it lets you have physics, but all I want is the mesh. I don’t even want it to have physics, that would be so laggy and unnecessary. It’s only meant to be aesthetic. For any serious game, aesthetics are important.

1 Like

What if you could import meshes to RbxDev, That would be awesome! Then it makes it easier for the admins to moderate. I’d love to see this because I use blender a lot. What CAD software do you use?

1 Like

Blender is not CAD, blender is a Modelling program, and my guess is most stuff that would be imported would be made from modelling programs, not in CAD, there’s not much use for parametric parts being imported into roblox

1 Like

We don’t have meshes but the physics issue might be solved soon.

1 Like

Hang on, how is Blender not a CAD software? CAD stands for computer aided design, meaning that you use a computer program to aid you design for making a product in real life, which is exactly what it does. I can back this up because I used it to help me make a speaker in real life.

1 Like
1 Like

CAD is in 99.9% of cases referring to a program specifically designed to aid in designing objects meant for real life with real dimensions. Think AutoCAD or SolidWorks. Blender is a modeling program, it is designed to make 3D models for the computer. If you want to use the argument that you used then paint is just as much a CAD program as blender.
EDIT: Dang like 20 seconds to slow.

1 Like

Ok, but Blender can be a CAD software then? Because it helped me to create a speaker in real life.

1 Like

It can be used as CAD software but whether the software is considered 'CAD" or not is what purposes the program is mainly built for. You can use any 3D modeling software to aid in real life design, but programs like AutoCAD are specifically geared for this purpose and may include a much better layout and featureset geared towards this purpose.

1 Like

RBXDev is a forum for connection and discussion between the Dev community and the ROBLOX Staff.
It doesn’t support assets. =p
Main-site upload/moderation would be fine. It’d function just the same as any other asset upload.

1 Like

w-ww-why? Uploading it to RBXDev is like saying the moderation for assets should pay special attention to us because we are RBXDev (and I know that’s probably not how you intended it, but that’s is basically how it sounds)

RBXDev is for discussion, I’m not sure how adding a asset service helps any of us really, or even more so, I’m not sure it helps ROBLOX in general.

@ROBLOX, Having mesh support again would be FANTASTIC, and I don’t think it requires moderation, if people want to make inappropriate images with Unions they would (and i’m sure they do), so meshes seem like they are the same case but we should handle them like we handle inappropriate unions (through user-based reporting)

There really is not a reason ROBLOX shouldn’t have mesh support

1 Like

w-ww-why? Uploading it to RBXDev is like saying the moderation for assets should pay special attention to us because we are RBXDev (and I know that’s probably not how you intended it, but that’s is basically how it sounds)

RBXDev is for discussion, I’m not sure how adding a asset service helps any of us really, or even more so, I’m not sure it helps ROBLOX in general.

@ROBLOX, Having mesh support again would be FANTASTIC, and I don’t think it requires moderation, if people want to make inappropriate images with Unions they would (and i’m sure they do), so meshes seem like they are the same case but we should handle them like we handle inappropriate unions (through user-based reporting)

There really is not a reason ROBLOX shouldn’t have mesh support[/quote]

Meshes would need moderation. You could rip meshes from a game or another source and upload it straight to Roblox. The gist of how it seems that ROBLOX works is that any outside content gets moderated when imported to ROBLOX. Any content made inside of the platform isn’t moderated until notice is brought to it or they see it.

1 Like

I still think it would be best getting the meshes moderated in Rbxdev, or just having people in RvxDev being able to upload them to the catalog. And then if all goes well, then everyone on roblox can upload meshes. The only problem I can see though is that, how will they moderate them?

1 Like

No. No. No. No. The staff should not give us special privileges when it comes to features on the platform.

1 Like

I’m just saying because most of the great builders on roblox are in RbxDev, and it’s more likely that they will have more experience with modelling/CAD software. I’m not saying that everyone else on roblox is a bad builder, but it just seems like it should be a feature for people on RbxDev at first, and if there are no problems, then it can be released to the rest of roblox.

1 Like

It isn’t necessary to give us special privileges over other users. This isn’t for that. The only bit of that which we do get is the moderation review requests board, and that’s only for clearing up mistakes more quickly, since it’s far less likely for a game developer to break the rules than it is for a kid.

1 Like

I thought of a way that the meshes could be published, which should really be the OPs job, but anyway.
Maybe the meshes could be imported into a roblox game, and then from there if you right click on the mesh, there is an option which says “Publish Mesh”. So kind of like roblox animations, where you can only see them once they’ve been uploaded to the roblox library.
Because if the Mesh is uploaded straight to the roblox catalog from the CAD program, it might not be the right size, or parts might be missing, stuff like that. And it will be moderated the same way roblox models get moderated, probably, I don’t know how or if roblox models get moderated.

1 Like

This here is a wonderful idea, the admins would love this simply because they would only have to moderate a few dozen meshes a day instead of thousands of meshes a day if this was made available to all.,

1 Like

This here is a wonderful idea, the admins would love this simply because they would only have to moderate a few dozen meshes a day instead of thousands of meshes a day if this was made available to all.,[/quote]

Watch out for elitism, there’s no reason that people who make it here on this forum should be able to make a game that’s impossible for a newly starting dev to make, because they have access to meshes, when I was first learning how to script, the elitism was intense, as some people knew some really neat tricks (putting parts in Camera), but since I wasn’t famous, nobody would tell me, and the information was nowhere on the wiki for it, it wasn’t until after I became more known that people would actually tell me tricks like that, as a game dev, it feels terrible to have elitists keep you from making games.

1 Like

[quote]

Meshes would need moderation. You could rip meshes from a game or another source and upload it straight to Roblox. The gist of how it seems that ROBLOX works is that any outside content gets moderated when imported to ROBLOX. Any content made inside of the platform isn’t moderated until notice is brought to it or they see it. [/quote]

Images and sounds are IP and they are created outside the platform.

1 Like