I think my issue was mostly related to one of my scripts breaking and spamming the service, but I fixed it by creating a single object/script that handled all the sending of the messages. It could be that one of your scripts has passed one of the limits given by the API and therefore has to calm down. I would personally try to keep messages down to once every 10-30 seconds. Just make sure you stay within 1 kb I guess.
I was having the issue about a month ago and had never experienced the issue before then. A day after the issue occurred it resolved on its own and ive never seen it again, so I do believe this was an API failure rather than me exhausting the rate limit.
Although its always important to be mindful of the limits while creating your systems.
About a week ago, the MessagingService completely broke, showing the same error in the image below. This issue was then fixed a few days ago, until users started reporting that the game was completely broken yet again.
This is the second time it has broken in 2 weeks with this same issue, and it makes the game completely unusable. This is a massive flaw that needs fixing asap, as it completely breaks several games, and breaks some functions in other games.
This bug has just started affecting my game and has severely impacted it as one of the core features in my game makes use of messaging service to send what servers are active to the game’s hub, it would be nice if this was fixed asap as I now have to hurry to create a temporary solution for this issue.
Ok this seriously needs to be fixed already, I applied @iiNemo’s quick fix and it worked… for a few hours until it broke again while I was at school and could not do anything to fix it again. This bug seems pretty important to fix and I don’t think it could simply be ignored for so long.
Yes some form of acknowledgement of this bug would be nice, My game only just started out a month or two ago and it was hard enough getting a lot of players to notice the game, this bug completely kills my game as I rely on MessagingService to notify the hub that worlds are active, without it players have to rely on sharing world codes with other players (which isn’t exactly ideal) and I am tired of having to make a temporary fix every few hours just so that the game can be playable.
This issue has been happening quite randomly for me. At first I thought i surpassed the 1KB data limit, so each request I made was less than ~600 bytes and the problem seemed to go away. Still started to randomly happen soon after though.
Changing topics eliminates this issue but using the same topic causes this weird issue.
Messaging service has always been a bit of a buggy mess, which is a shame since theres so many useful applications for it. But having the service be basically unsuable for over a month now without at least an aknowledgement of its status, doesn’t exactly inspire much confidence in having the service be a core part of your game.
It’s especially bad though because there isn’t really an alternative or workaround, unlike a lot of other bugs. The coder for my game had the idea of opening multiple Messaging Service topics at once and cycling through them when one is detected to have bugged out.
This is a major issue for us as we rely on MessageService to list our game servers which users get a selection from whilst being in our lobby game. Changing Topics isn’t a feasible fix as it happens so often it require a server shutdown and change every 10 minutes.