MessagingService limit doesn't apply to within a universe

In the MessagingService page it says limits are based of number of servers. However, this is place specific.

Limit Maximum
### Size of message 1kB
### Messages sent per game server 150 + 60 * (number of players in this game server) per minute
### Messages received per topic (10 + 20 * number of servers) per minute
### Messages received for entire game (100 + 50 * number of servers) per minute

Let’s say I have a universe with 10 subplaces, each with 10 servers. There’s 100 servers, yet each subplace only has a limit based of 10.
I found out when my game had exhausted limits because I have 5 subplaces. MessagingService PublishAsync limit at an all time low

Limits should reflect the whole game.

5 Likes

Hey @iiau,

As far as limits go, we don’t consider placeId at all when we calculate message limits. It is indeed based on just universe, servers, and players. Could you describe your situation a bit more so I have a better understanding of your issue? e.g. how many topics are you subscribing and what’s the rate of which you send msgs, etc.

Also if you have a code example of how you’re publishing messages, we can look into that as well.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Hi! Yes, I have this exact problem!

Indeed it does seem as if only the starting place servers are counted in the quota calculations. It’s not easy to find, because, how to start that many servers to test? So we only ran into it on our production servers, now that we have around 300-800 players on.

Sorry, I wasn’t able to find this post before, and still don’t have enough rank to make a thread here, so I made this discussion thread last week (it includes my code, link to game, and all considerations I thought could be relevant):

We are very stuck with this, I can’t understand it! Help or explanation of any mistake I made would be very very welcome!

Thank you!!

2 Likes

thanks for the post - I’ll try to look into this further this week.

@iiau - we’ve added additional logging around rate limits so hopefully that will give a better understanding of what exactly is happening

3 Likes