MessagingService Release

Had an issue as well with MessagingService throttling yesterday while under the original rate limits, hopefully there may be something like GetRequestBudgetForRequestType() for MessagingService as DataStore does.

2 Likes

The API Documentation seems to exist for me.

This seems to be a larger problem on the Developer Hub, since there are multiple pages not existing for some while they exist for others. As stated in here, it does not just affect that one page but multiple

Edit: It seems like the PublishAsync page does not exist for me.

2 Likes

There are a few strange issues going on with the API documentation website.

PublishAsync does work for me, however MessagingService does not (it worked a few days ago though).

RIP web devs. Looks like they’ve got a regional caching problem with CloudFront or something.

5 Likes

I can’t access any of the pages regarding MessagingService, unfortunately…

For anyone who still wants to access it, here’s a cached version of the page from 3 days ago. Be aware the Limitations portion may have changed.

Main Developer Hub Page for MessagingService

Main functions for MessagingService:

SubscribeAsync
PublishAsync

2 Likes

Could be the way the service is set up or a memory limit or something like that.

There appears to be a problem with limits. In a 1 player server, the limit for how many PublishAsync messages can be sent per minute is (currently):

Which computes to an allotment of 210 messages that can be sent per minute. However, I am currently sending 58 per minute, as can be seen by my PublishAsync usage print, which should leave me with 152 remaining PublishAsync messages that I could’ve sent in that past minute.

So despite the fact that I’m well below the documented limit, I appear to be continually throttled and my messages are not sending.

3 Likes

I can back this issue up, me and my friend were playing with it, and were hitting the limit way to quickly.

We may need to file a bug report.

2 Likes

Do you have subscriptions to the same topic in other servers? This might have something to do with it:

1 Like

This is still a major issue that’s preventing me from doing something that I’ve been trying to do; I was confused as to how I was hitting the rate by sending only 30-50 requests per minute. If this isn’t a bug, documentation on this behaviour would be pretty important.

5 Likes

I’ve seen publishes fail over 20 times consecutively in my game with near 2 minute long delays. This really needs to be acknowledged and fixed.

4 Likes

Can you both possibly provide code examples of what you’re attempting or what warnings/errors you receive?

The error I’m receiving is in my post, which is “The rate of publish requests exceeds the allowed limit”.

I’m using PublishAsync and am publishing to a topic 58 times per minute, and I’m listening to the same topic in the same server using SubscribeAsync. It isn’t problematic until I launch a second server, publishing to the same topic 58 times per minute, and simultaneously listening to the same topic, then I run into issues.

My code worked perfectly fine up until about a month ago, but when I resumed the project a month later, I ran into this error.

The “infinite player server” that @ForeverHD made also doesn’t work anymore. His game is open source, so I took a copy of it and observed that the errors in his game are the same errors I’m experiencing.

If you’d like to review the code that isn’t working, you can open studio for this game: Infinite Player Server (Open Source) - Roblox

There problem is definitely not within our code, and unless the documentation on the devhub is incorrect.

5 Likes

Thank you for the verification. :+1:

Omg yes! i can do great things with this in my models

Can confirm, I’m well within the limitations yet constantly receive error messages claiming the limit has been exceeded. All my ‘live leaderboards’ which worked originally have now failed completely.

@Seranok Do we have any time-frame to when this might be resolved?

9 Likes

How could you create server wide announcements with this? I’ve no idea where to start as there aren’t many tutorials on this.

I posted an example on how to use MessagingService/how it works. The game in un-copylocked so you can view all the code to better help your understanding of this.

2 Likes

announcements no chat but I’ll look into it :slight_smile: