MessagingService Release

that is indeed true but it’d be great if you could do this without having to drain your max http requests per minute and instantaneously

1 Like

You should file a separate feature request thread using the post approval procedure (see rules for info) with detailed description and use cases so they can understand why you want that.

7 Likes

Doesn’t Roblox’s shutdown all servers button do this?

2 Likes

Yes, but I do not recommend clicking that button for a popular game unless absolutely necessary.

3 Likes

Can you please explain why?

2 Likes

He’s already explained it? Massive amount of people rejoining would kill the datastores if the game uses it. Also presuming it’ll put stress on the server to have to deal with the massive rejoin.

3 Likes

From personal experience using the shutdown button on Adopt Me, it appears to shutdown servers gradually over time instead of all at once. So I’m also curious why it’s recommended not to use that button besides it being disruptive for players

12 Likes

This is amazing, I can’t wait to see all the implementations of this.

1 Like

Amazing! I can’t wait to use this!

2 Likes

awesome cant wait for the feature!

This is really great news! This has so many uses and I can see the community utilising this fully.

This will allow Roblox servers to effectively act as one massive server if done correctly.

1 Like

Very cool, can’t wait!

This is super useful

2 Likes

Wow that’s awesome! Especially that “chat with friends in other servers” possibility!

1 Like

the value passed to PublishAsync(topic, value) could be a string or a table, same with DataStore.SetAsync.
the value passed to PublishAsync must be able to be serialized as UTF8 characters.
If it’s a Lua function or a table contains a Lua function will throw an error.
for example, PublishAsync(topic, {a = function() print('a') end}) will throw an error.

6 Likes

Yeah I don’t understand. What’s the alternative? If it’s a popular game we should shut down the servers one by one manually?

1 Like

This is absolutly fantastic. Although I do hope for universal scripts soon, I can see a few good implementations with this, like cross-server announcments, locating players and like someone already stated above, live events :eyes:
I’m currently creating a game and I’m already thinking of a few cool ideas on how to utilize this!

4 Likes

Can I make a global announcement in my game with this?

1 Like

yes , you could make a global announcement :smile:

3 Likes

Have you read “Site Reliability Engineering?” I think just adding some jitter to retries and other techniques from the book could help.

4 Likes