Method to create large scale terrain in Blender?

Is there a way to create a large scale terrain in Blender and export it in a way that will grant it accurate collisions in Roblox?

1 Like

Roblox does not handle concave collisions on meshes very well. If your terrain mesh has a valley, your character would likely experience poor collisions within that valley, or may not even be able to enter the valley at all. You would need to use multiple meshes to mitigate this.

I think it’s possible, but it would definitely be tedious and you’d have to carefully check the collision geometry on each mesh.

3 Likes

Ugh, I guess I’ll have to stick with triangle terrain plugins.

I know “Towers” by @UndoneBuilder (https://www.roblox.com/games/1772924782/UPD-Towers) has terrain using meshes. You could ask him.

There are always minor collision issues when using meshes, but I did it by splitting everything up into parts. Each hill, mountain, bump, ect, is a separate mesh, so that the collisions are as accurate as possible.

4 Likes

Importing any sort of terrain from blender above 50 tris will result in atrocious collision from my past experience.

That sounds disgustingly tedious but I’ll give it a try.

I don’t know which one I should use >.< Modeling terrain in Blender is so ridiculously easy compared to triangle terrain, but this MeshPart issue is such a pain. I’m not sure if the modeling ease is worth the exporting/importing hassle.

You could try using a plugin to convert from OBJ to parts.
A quick google search found this. Not sure if anyone’s written anything better.

Edit: This plugin has some issues. :frowning:

2 Likes

This one that I’ve used doesn’t create those ugly gaps:

3 Likes

You could try using some of the plugins used above, but it does have its limitations, theres a limit, lets say you want to scale your terrain up to 600, then it would take some time (Depending on your CPU) to calculate it all before importing the terrain to studio, and then if it is way too large roblox itself might start to lag at some point with really bad FPS.

But to be honest its all i have been using recently, basically smooth terrain with triangle parts, and in blender just sculpt it, use heightmaps etc, the results are a lot better than doing stuff triangle by triangle.

If your using this for a sandbox world you might aswell want a fast way to put fast models or environmental stuff like rocks or trees so try XAXA Brush tool plugin.

@zKevin used meshes for terrain in Robot 64. To get around collision issues, I’m pretty sure he disabled collisions for the meshes and added invisible triangles in their place. So essentially meshes are for visuals only, and invisible parts are used to control collisions.

I think those are techniques used in other engines too, like Unreal or Unity, faking the visuals with small collisions, Oh you might also want to take in count that invisible parts arent good for perfomance in a large scale project.

Uh, what…?

1 Like

Basically invisible parts are rendered in a way that its bad for CPU, or GPU… i forgot but that is a problem that is supposed to be solved with Part Instancing.

No… Invisible parts aren’t rendered at all. There is an impact if you are changing them from transparent to not transparent or vice versa, but not if they are invisible the whole time.

3 Likes

To reiterate what EchoReaper said above, I used a mesh overlay with a collision underlay for the new Summoner Tycoon map. It’s tedious but the outcome was a smooth terrain transition from level ground to the hill, and pin-point accurate collisions since there are NPCs running around that necessitated it.

Though I know the render costs, I set the transparency to .95 so that players can’t see through the hill since fully transparent (ie: anything over .95 transpareny) and CanCollide false parts can both be seen through; a Studio setting that has been a thorn in my side for years haha.

1 Like

Popper cam is implemented in the Lua camera scripts by the way, so the programmer of your game can adjust it to pop for those invisible parts or the mesh instead of taking a performance hit

1 Like

@Aotrou @EchoReaper I’m actually going for a low poly terrain look so using a mesh visual is pointless for me since the invisible triangles for collisions will basically be the same as the mesh.

@Disgustedorito @SuperiorArchitect I’ll try those plugins in a bit.

How do you extract the .obj code from a .obj file?