Minimap (MiniMap Includes procedurally generated terrain, meshes and parts )

Hello, I am new to scripting and have been modelling for a year so far. I want to know how to make a minimap which would include procedural terrain generation. I was thinking that having a Viewport frame would make it so that the terrain would show up when the player minimap camera is above the player (this won’t display players but will display billboard GUIs). Is there a way to make the camera follow the player from above the player head without showing the players? :thinking:

• Thanks for reading this :smile:
1 Like

Hello @Danielmasterlions,

I have watched that video and have tested it and it seems like it would not work for the terrain. You would have to insert meshes and parts into a folder to display it and the terrain can’t be placed inside a folder.

If there is no way to add terrain

You can use a thumbnail for a game map

@Danielmasterlions Hello, Is there a way of using an Image as a minimap which would move the image across while the player is moving in the direction?

• Sorry for the late response; I was sleeping.

It seems possible as the game called Unit: Classified by Rolve has a minimap UI of terrain, parts and meshes.

Hi

Not sure about that

Is this terrain?

It might be an image painted in very high resolution and at a size as large as the map size

If there was a way to add terrain, you would find out over time

Sorry for being late I had a computer problem

If you want to use an image

Part must be the same size as the Baseplate and have the same orientation

Decal

This code when placed inside a LocalScript in ViewportFrame

local player = game.Players.LocalPlayer
local character = player.Character
local hmndrootpart = character:FindFirstChild("HumanoidRootPart")

script.Parent.Size = UDim2.new(0.3, 0, 0.4, 0)
 script.Parent.Position = UDim2.new(0, 15, 0, 15)
 script.Parent.BackgroundColor3 = Color3.new(0, 0, 0)
 script.Parent.BorderColor3 = Color3.new(0.6, 0.5, 0.4)
 script.Parent.BorderSizePixel = 2

local viewportCamera = Instance.new("Camera")
script.Parent.CurrentCamera = viewportCamera
viewportCamera.Parent = script.Parent

while true do
wait()

viewportCamera.CFrame = CFrame.new(game.Players.LocalPlayer.Character.HumanoidRootPart.Position + Vector3.new(0,20,0),game.Players.LocalPlayer.Character.HumanoidRootPart.Position)
game:GetService("RunService").RenderStepped:Wait()

end

Mini Map Image The image moves as the player moves in the same direction

I’m pretty sure that’s just a pre-rendered image though. You could use something like this to generate a minimap image.

1 Like

Thanks, I’m going to try to use this later when I get home. :+1:

1 Like

@KeyboardCombination Ok, I will with this. The procedurally generated world is just a small part of it the game the rest is just a big map. But thanks for the suggestion :slight_smile:

Sorry, I have not tested it yet; I just don’t have time at the moment. Thanks for your help and patients. I will try it sometime soon. :+1: