RoRender is project designed to create a topdown orthographic projection of your maps. The primary use case for this tool is to create minimaps in game. This is the third iteration of this tool and it may be useful to look through old posts to understand how it works.
This project has evolved to the point where a lot of the information, tutorials, and questions and answers are irrelevant to modern day usage of the tool, thus the new forum post. In this iteration a new plugin and GUI application was built for this tool.
Quick Start Tutorial
- Make sure that you have the Plugin installed to studio and an appropriate OSX or Windows copy of the application downloaded.
- Open the place you want a minimap of, launch the RoRender plugin and press the auto configure button. The purple box should be floating above the entire map now. Click Inject Scripts to load rendering scripts into the game. While in studio go to Home>GameSettings>Security and make sure allow HTTP Requests is on. (It is off by default)
- Launch the application and press Start Server (You must press Start Server on the application before beginning the rendering process)
- Go back into studio>test>clients and players and set the number of players == the number of cores your cpu has. Then press the start button to the left of the players menu. If you do not know how many cores your cpu has, you can find out by googling it
- Reopen the RoRender application and watch the image being rendered in the live preview box. Once it is done you can press the download image button and save your image like any other file.
This plugin cannot render texture. Meaning that meshparts will most likely appear as grey blobs if they are not solidly colored.
Streaming Enabled must be turned off else all the chunks that your clients have not loaded in will not be rendered.
You can attempt to render too large of a map. Http request, as well as Lua, can only handle so much data so it is best to split your map into chunks if you are working with an obscenely large map
You will have to delete invisible parts you do not want apart of the render or they will show up in your final image.
It must be on a published game because roblox does not support turning on HTTP service on non-published places
You MUST press
inject scriptsto apply settings from the plugin before running render program otherwise old settings will be used. (Or none at all if
inject scriptswas never pressed)
Post your cool renders on this thread to get included on featured.
This is an unsigned program with no certificates meaning that your computer will likely think that this application is a virus. You can check the source code and verify that nothing fishy is going on. To launch the application from the source code, you will need