Minimap Render [RoRenderV3]

But, I really got the 404. Can you send your RoRender that works right now? When’s the last time you tried it just incase your just not updated on how it is?

That is RoRenderV2 plugin. Go to your plugin manager and uninstall any RoRender related plugins. Then install the plugin linked in the main post.

I was able to complete a render using Ro-Render V3 in only 3 minutes for a map size of [4644.75, 1303.85, 5781.5]
I didn’t need to configure any transparent objects or textures. It rendered flawlessly as-is from setup.

Needless to say, I’m impressed with how good this plugin is and how useful it is for providing a map for me to use in Alianor III Anniversary’s radar system. Thank you for publishing this for us.

Proof

The specs - This just so no one thinks I’ve lied or that I’ve hidden anything or used something because this has happened many times already to me. 3 minutes does seem like an outlandish claim otherwise.

Relevant PC Specifications

Gigabyte Z690 UD AC for LGA 1700 Chipset
Power Supply - Seasonic Focus GX 850W PSU

Intel Core i9-10900F (10C/20T) - Hit 4.9/5.2 on All Core Turbo.
Kingston Fury RGB 32GB x 4 (128GB) DDR4 @ 3,200MHz
Zotac Gaming RTX 3060ti OC - 8GB

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow

Cooling Solution:
Be Quiet! Shadow Rock 3 - Fan Mount: Corsair SP120 RGB Elite
Corsair SP120 RGB Elite (3 Intake @ Front, 2 Exhaust @ Top)
Corsair Included Fan for 4000D Airflow @ Rear Exhaust

Dual Fans (Zotac Included @ GPU)

Files and ROBLOX Studio Installation stored on an Western Digital SN-550 SSD.
External Weather was at 78F/28C

3 Likes

I did try this with my radar system.

In the end, I’d love to include it but ROBLOX’s image compression limits and the floating point inaccuracies incurred by UDIM/UDIM2 mean I cannot accurately display the player position when scaling the map accordingly. Even with a 9291x9291 cropped variation of the image - it’s too inaccurate as UDIM2 is cutting off 4-5 decimal places that the player needs to understand where they are.

Sometimes it’s 4 studs off, sometimes it’s 8 studs off, sometimes it’s correct and it depends on how far away from map centre (or any whole number away on the X/Y) you are. It sucks but this is just how it is.

You could try splitting the image into 4 parts, insert each into its image label of the correct size, put all image labels inside a frame, and edit the position of that instead.

You could use offset to position the minimap (for more accuracy) and also manually detect for viewport size changes and manually change position according to that.

Viewport frames are also an idea by using parts and camera right above them, with a small FOV. This will also allow rotation of the map (which cannot be done with Frames as clip descendants does not work with rotated frames).

I’ve done this already, sadly.

Because of the size of the map, the size of the images. There are noticeable splits or overlaps or it’s misaligning badly due to floating point imprecision.

ROBLOX’s implementation of float handling just isn’t where it needs to be for the precision I need to handle the map sizes I’m working with for a game.

Additionally to this, I wanted to get room interiors done as overlays to the map but with those techniques, it’s unfeasible.

I’m unfortunately better off using viewport frames for the precision I’d need, even though I don’t want to do that due to the overall map layout for the basic design would take well over 5,000 parts. A bad alternative to an equally annoying problem that show’s ROBLOX’s shortcomings as a game engine.

The main map for reference takes well over 25,000 parts spread over a large diameter (4644.75, 1303.85, 5781.5).

1 Like

The map rotation value can have a effect on positioning. Your map could need another rotation.

my mac is saying that it does not support RoRender (

So I packaged the app on the new M1 chips and I don’t have an old intel Mac to package the app into an executable, your best bet would be to download the source code and run it from the terminal.

getting this error @reteach

You down the resolution in order to get a smaller image
Follow the formula in the render settings to set an image of a reasonable size
the largest image supported is (16383, 16383)

I followed the instructions, started the server, started the game in “Run” mode, and pressed the “Start Server” button on the RoRender application. Nothing happens when I click this, however, while checking Task Manager, there were apparently 4 instances of the program (and yes, I did set the server to 4 players, which is how many cores I have). Any help? It would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Re-read the post and make sure to do it correctly, you are mixing things of V2 with V3. Forget about how V2 used to work when reading the updated post. V3 is completely different.

Now that I read a little more, it says I don’t need to open any more Studio windows because Parallel Lua does it for you. However, the instructions tell me to press the “Start Server” button, which opens another window. What do I do now?

1 Like

Start server button of the Ro-Render V3 application, not Studio. In Studio you just press the Run button (click the arrow under Play button and click Run, you should do this after pressing the start server button in the Ro-Render V3 application).

I would also suggest to keep the output window open in case there are any errors.

Honestly to me Start Server button seems a bit pointless, the server should start on its own when the application is opened. I will probably remove that in future updates.

I don’t know why but while attempting to render, I keep getting this error Workspace.RoRenderSettings.Render:161: Did you enable Http requests and start the RoRenderV3 server? Error: HTTP 404 (Not Found)
Do you know why this happens?
P.S: Do I need to edit these parameters in the settings? also, anything HTTP related is enabled in my studio.

1 Like

Found the issue, I was using an outdated version of the .exe.

Returning to this, the whole render took relatively a fast time and the map came out high-quality.

2 Likes

Those are just Luau types, you should not edit them, and editing them will have no effect on the settings. You can edit what is below that, those are the actual settings.

Also is there any way to save the currently made settings along with corners to be used in future?

PS: Also is there any way to make a render without ruining the place and without needing to make a copy of it?

To save the settings you can save the source code of the module script. For saving the draggers, right click the draggers folder and save to file.

When you want to reload them, create default settings (make sure not to load it). Replace code of the module script with the one you saved. Delete the draggers folder and replace it with the one you saved (drag and drop into Studio, then put it inside the module script).

There is no way other than “ruining” a place in order for the render to appear properly without any artifacts. This is why you should do the render in a copy of the game. I don’t see what is difficult in making a copy of the game. Remember, you do not have to publish the game to a new place, you should just save it into a local place file. I assume many people who do not read the post correctly publish the game to a new place when they can simply just save it into a local file, I don’t see what is difficult of saving it into a local file, it doesn’t pollute your Roblox games list.