Mirror Property

There should be a mirror property in Parts and Meshes. Reflectance should be changed to “Skybox Mirror” or something similar. This would help a lot to many people as we would, actually be able to make mirror images rather then using transparency and copying and pasting the whole build. Characters don’t show using that method so it would be great to have a working mirror in ROBLOX. I don’t know why this wasn’t added before. Please comment below if you agree or if you have some kind of disagreement with this.
-superstephon

4 Likes

This has been discussed before and it was made known that for performance reasons this would not be possible.

#####P.S. This is a client feature rather than one for Studio as it would affect the in-game client – Studio features are strictly related to Studio and aren’t present in-game (e.g. the Transform tool)

2 Likes

Ok, Thanks.

While it seems that a proper mirror isn’t possible due to performance reasons, it would be cool if we could pick the image that was mirrored for reflective parts, that way we could use different images for different areas of our maps to make their reflections match better.

1 Like

I think something like reflection mapping as @EndorsedModel is hinting at is more feasible:

It’s not perfect reflection whatsoever, just a custom image through which reflection is determined, but perfect reflection is really difficult to achieve in games for arbitrary surfaces and geometry.

1 Like

From what I understand, the way Unity does this is with reflection nodes which are pre-rendered (into 6 images I assume) that you can specify nearby objects to use as their reflectance.

1 Like