Model specific priority levels for higher physics replication frequency along with InterpolationThrottling

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to create games with several server-owned moving assemblies while retaining some sort of “smoothness” to specific ones I wish to be smooth/having their physics replicated to the clients at higher frequency.

If this issue is addressed, it would improve my development experience because I would be able to incorporate more “life” into my game worlds to feel much more vibrant, but I would certainly see other use cases for other games that require a more customizable server-client communication overall!

This issue was already partially addressed through the InterpolationThrottling and StreamingEnabled by prioritizing the ones that are closer to the player’s character or not replicated the ones of streamed out models at all.

Yet I still feel that especially the InterpolationThrottling feature is not worked out enough yet.

I think this could be made reality by incorporating some sort of Priority Levels for the physics replication of models to specify whose physics update more often and less often, or maybe by increasing the update frequency overall…

An example of where such a feature would be useful; note how the NPC’s physics don’t replicate fast enough to align their Humanoid movement and the rotation through the AlignOrientation on the clients?
This happens since it somehow puts whole priority into quickly replicating the physics of the ambient vehicles (only driving in proximity to the only player)

16 Likes