"Modern Studio" (new docking behavior) has various issues

Reproduction Steps

Currently, as of 10/7/22, studio’s “modern studio” overhaul (the one with the new docking behavior) has various issues, from minor to major and workflow-breaking.

Expected Behavior
It is expected that the new docking behavior would have the same stability that the previous docking behavior did.

Actual Behavior
The new docking behavior has a wide range of bugs that occur with it, leading to an overall clunky workflow when working in studio.

Workaround
None

Issue Area: Studio
Issue Type: Display
Impact: High
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2022-10-07 00:10:00 (-04:00)

154 Likes

On top of this, I often have all of my widgets being unpinned and reset to their original location beforehand. As far as I know, this happens uncommonly after getting out of play test mode. I find the pinning feature very useful to quickly access a widget without needing to go back to the window I was at before, so it’s frustrating to have to constantly pin them again, unless if I’m misunderstanding how pinned widgets work.

I don’t have any detailed steps to reproduce yet, as it seems to just happen occasionally, but frequently.

24 Likes

cant forget switching to the server during a playtest making a huge gray box that only goes away if you move a panel on the screen or switch back to client

edit:
yea this is false, mine was caused by a plugin, though i do think roblox should work on making it compatable with all plugins to avoid confusion, the plugin was Advanced Camera, if anyone wants the fixed code DM me

5 Likes

That can be fixed by disabling a faulty plugin that makes docking UI (?), so for anyone having this issue, disable random plugins and check if the issue still happens.

3 Likes

It’s not an issue with any specific plugins, I never had this issue before the new docking behavior. It’s a bug with the new behavior.

3 Likes

Can be fixed (most probably) using that workaround. I agree it’s a bug and shouldn’t be happening in any way. It’s probably creating another blank dock UI for some reason.

1 Like

Thanks for the report. I filed a ticket to our internal database.

8 Likes

On top of the issues mentioned above, when trying to use Discord screenshare, it will select a single studio widget instead of sharing your studio window now.

16 Likes

As a workaround for now you can share the entire screen / monitor.

3 Likes

that exact thing just happens to me every time i exit out of playtesting mode, and it is infuriating considering how much i need to playtest and open the plugin that keeps resetting

5 Likes

Mine personally keep resizing back to huge sizes when testing and I have to keep putting them back.

2 Likes

The drafts widget also seems to loose it’s spot every time Studio restarts.

9 Likes

I do this too, but if possible it would be nice if Discord screen sharing could be supported by Roblox, as even before this update it would detect only the viewport window, but I’d like for the entire window to be captured without needing to include everything on that screen. Not even sure how practical it would be with just one monitor.

4 Likes

This has become a rampant issue that has been quite annoying frankly. Every time I open up the toolbox, it opens s non-movable window on my second screen that refuses to disappear until I close the toolbox.

2 Likes

It is an issue from specific plugins, in my case it was Advanced Camera, and it could be something completely different for anyone else.
If it makes a UI dock then it is plausible that it’s the cause.
I hope Roblox adds a backwards compatibility system so old plugins still work fine and don’t cause confusion

2 Likes

I am also currently experiencing unintended behavior as a result of the new docking system. Whenever I “undock” my game’s viewport or do something similar, I end up with a situation where I cannot do anything to manipulate the undocked widget, and I also cannot return the widget to it’s previous place.

Here is a video displaying aforementioned behavior.

https://gyazo.com/4a3e87828ba7673aa95b48958b191bbe

4 Likes

These are still happening as of 10/29/22.

5 Likes

Here’s another example of widget docking breaking. When I attempt to dock this plugin’s widget, it appears on a different monitor & the plugin widget has a rendering issue.

6 Likes

This makes studio nearly unusable at times, this should be escalated.

11 Likes

Currently having issues with the new modern studio where every once in a while a flickering of empty widgets will appear and disappear on the top left whenever I run my game.

It also seems that widget placement has been a lot more inconsistent. Sometimes it will just reorder them after I stop an existing game from running in studio.