Modesty layer should not be required on bundles that support 2D Clothing

Seriously disappointing to see. I’m going to link my very extensive response to your original post in hopes someone who can do something sees the concerns I have personally voiced.

Relevant link: https://devforum.roblox.com/t/modesty-layer-should-not-be-required-on-bundles-that-support-2d-clothing/2628505/24?u=niyuuesuto

10 Likes

Your concerns are INCREDIBLY valid, it makes the original issue they’re trying to avoid even worst.
Genuinely ridiculous.

9 Likes

Most disappointing thing I’ve ever seen man : (
Just… why? Literally everyone uses 2D clothing, there’s literally no point of this

7 Likes

Not to mention how ugly Layered Clothing looks on most non-rthro packages, and how lame and generic it looks anyway.

7 Likes

Powering Imagination, guys. :slightly_smiling_face:‏‏‎‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎‎

12 Likes

Honestly, in light of what was said at RDC I’m gonna give them the benefit of the doubt, and I will patiently wait until an official DIRECT answer is given.
They’re 100% driving away from their original image, and it’s fine, it encourages devs to create their own image that does not depend on Roblox’.
But I think they should NOT shun their roots away, especially stuff as simple as 2D clothing. I know they’re doing this in light of public UGC, but its still a huge step backwards.
Even if they throw it away, I think we should still be able to use it, we grew up with it, and it is still prominent enough for it to be important.

I really hope any kind of staff sees all of this. We don’t want to lose something so simple yet so versatile when it comes to character customisation. I know all of this is basically entitlement, but it still feels valid I hope.

9 Likes

Well that’s… massively disappointing. So UGC bundles designed to be used with 2D clothing (classic packages but skinned are the best example I think), even ones that exist to put right the issues with the standard packages that would otherwise drive people away from using them (cough cough R15 joints and awful uv mapping), are redundant now.

Truly one of the decisions of all time.

On the topic of the skinned packages example, perhaps if the standard packages were better people wouldn’t feel the need to make new versions of them. Pushing R15, failing to act on the most common criticism, and then actively blocking community attempts to act on it themselves is so counterintuitive. UGC bundles could’ve been so much more if they weren’t limited to layered clothing - not everybody wants to use everything new Roblox release and I genuinely do not understand how this still isn’t acknowledged.

9 Likes

Hey all,

I can’t address everything in this thread in one response, but thanks for all the feedback here.

I’m here to confirm that Roblox isn’t officially supporting 2D clothing on UGC bodies. Only 3D clothing is officially supported for UGC bodies.

Our main reason for not supporting 2D clothing with UGC bodies is concerns about the layering of seemingly innocuous 2D clothing on arbitrarily-UV’d bodies. ev1’s pixel bodies were an amazing example of this used for good, but this same trick could very easily be used for…not-good. So, for now, we are going to keep requiring modesty layers. And because of that, we can’t really say that we support 2D clothing, because as many of you in this thread have pointed out, 2D clothing would be applied under modesty layers, and that’s kind of nonsense.

It’s great to see all the passionate responses here. We know this isn’t ideal and we have a few ideas for how to improve this situation, but nothing we are ready to unveil just yet. Stay tuned

41 Likes

Mine’s look fine, its mostly because people end up making big hands or big feet, those characters seem cuter until u try putting layered clothing on them

4 Likes

Shouldn’t this be a concern for moderation? Wouldn’t these bad examples be caught fairly easily considering how simple the template is? What is the official stance on people splitting the bundles into 2 in order to have a full set? (i.e, one with the layer on the legs, one with it on the torso)

Regardless, I’m glad this is at least being acknowledged, and there’s at least something being cooked up even if I know it’s probably gonna take a back seat while taking 2D Faces offsale is the big priority right now :smiley:

11 Likes

I just don’t like how bulky it wraps around a lot of the classic avatars. It can be nice though, I don’t deny that

4 Likes

On a related note regarding the UGC packages meant to implement a skinned mesh version of the classic Roblox packages -

One major pet peeve I and I’m sure many others have with R15 is that while using a classic package the seams at the joints are super visible and the UV mapping is quite poor (especially on the legs of the 1.0 body). If UGC packages meant to solve this issue are going to have a modesty layer, at least for now, are the ones using common workarounds (uploading 2 packages with the modesty layer in different positions as @MackenzieFontana mentioned) also going to be moderated and removed? If so, are there any plans to officially address the common criticisms people have regarding R15? I ask mainly because Roblox has been pushing it super hard lately in a bid to eventually sunset R6 however many people, including me, are still reluctant to switch to it and it’s often because of this.

Regardless it’s nice to hear improvements are in the works so maybe we’ll get to have smooth limbs eventually even if unofficial.

13 Likes

Hey, thank you so much for the response!

While I completely understand the concerns, and to be honest, I already knew perfectly that this was the main and most valid issue, I genuinely feel like it shouldn’t be something that creators on the platform should deal with (except for engineers/general developers within their own experience, ofc).
Moderation is meant to be dealing with all of this, it should be efficient enough for us to report an avatar and for that avatar to be dealt with properly. I know it’s easier said than done, and I think I stated that before, I still am of the opinion that we shouldn’t be the ones dealing with it.

Roblox not supporting 2D clothing on user generated packages is a shame. It’d be nice to see that change, as they’re still THE way to customise your character when you start off. Would genuinely be nice for it to be considered.

I will keep an eye out for any changes if they happen, and once again, thank you so much for the response. Really glad this is being acknowledged :blue_heart:

7 Likes

CC @ev1
It’s not possible for moderation to view every piece of 2D clothing on every body mesh available on the platform - which is what would be required to validate that there are no sneaky UV tricks happening.

For example, consider a simple meshpart with 2 quads: [][], the left and the right quads can be two separate UV islands that are not attached together at all in the UV map, one could be rotated 45 degrees, and the other could be smaller, or partially overlapping the first one. What this means is if just the right texture is provided, these two quads can take two pieces of this texture, and combine them side by side into an inappropriate image. In practice, this means that 2D clothing paired with arbitrary meshpart bodies can be trivially abused to create inappropriate images on characters.

4 Likes

That’s exactly why I said

The moderators can’t, but users that do see the avatar can report it & get moderators to see it used properly :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Completely understand why something like the pixel bodies wouldn’t be allowed, I was immediately able to piece together how malicious users could abuse it to bypass moderation… But what about the bundles which don’t have over two thousand separate UV islands mapped to 2D clothing?

Why not have checks during the upload process which look for excess islands, body parts mapped to the wrong portion of the texture, tears in the UV map inside the islands, etc.? Many UGC bodies compatible with 2D clothing are going for clean maps which apply the 2D clothing as originally designed. I don’t see how that’s any different from Roblox’s pre-existing catalog of classic bodies.

8 Likes

The problem is that they’re aiming for UGC to become public soon, so this may become a real issue, but wouldn’t this be easily fished out by just applying the checkboard texture to the model?

6 Likes

You should realize that the scale of this platform is so large that this is infeasible. Roblox already does a lot to prevent you from accidentally discovering things that have been bypassed. Moderation currently does not get everything that’s uploaded and automatically sent through moderation queues. Asset moderation is even getting augmented with automatic detection tools, and it’s still not thorough enough. Relying entirely on users to report bad avatars is simply not going to work at the scale necessary for this platform. One server of 30 people exposed to one bad avatar - you’d be disappointed in how many people don’t report it.

7 Likes

You’re right to be honest and it is Kind Of A Shame,
Moderation at its current state is really good for what it does at this scale, and we do tend to discredit it easily.

It’s kind of upsetting to see it have to come down to limit what we, as people part of the UGC program, can upload, even if user generated creation for avatars is probably going to be public very soon.

3 Likes

can you add modesty layer 2d clothing options of ugc bundle?
IMG_4914

4 Likes