Modesty Layers are broken. Avatar Bundles >NEED< to have default 2D Clothing rendered on them

It’s hard to put into words how immensely frustrated I am, especially since 90% of my income on Roblox (which by the way is my only source of income and the only way i’ve been able to keep myself afloat, being unable to find any jobs) is threatened by roblox’s potential actions going forward.

I was actually starting to accept non-blocky bodies for once with the advent of custom bundles, but these decisions from roblox are beginning to change my stance on the matter. Why even bother if all they want is in the totally inclusive range of Off-Model Robloxian to Realitic Human?

7 Likes

Modesty Layers is one of Roblox’s worst changes and it only harms creativity.

7 Likes

So far, this has been the biggest Ls Roblox has done for classic lovers. If they managed to ban their own clothing, you’ll know what’s gonna happen.

2 Likes

Well, I’m sure it’s probably just that because moderation tweakin, or something.

1 Like

Is it not possible for Roblox to just… add 3D modesty clothing? Surely that would solve the issue, and help their goals of encouraging users to use 3D clothing.

However, I do admit that automatic 3D modesty clothing can be bypassed by bad actors, but lets make the moderation focus on stopping that, and not the bundles that are actually made in good faith for the community and the artist.

9 Likes

You never miss man. You never miss at all. This is one of the worst moderation decisions on roblox ever.

4 Likes

I agree! Roblox REALLY needs to fix. Roblox rather ban innocent bundles and users than literal PREDATORS. Do better Roblox.

1 Like

Nonsense like this is the exact reason I stopped playing and developing on this nightmare of a platform. It really shows you where corporate Roblox’s priorities lie.

There are far more pressing issues with the platform like the rampant child endangerment, copyright infringement, and inevitable unsustainability of Roblox’s current practices as a company, yet they are more concerned with taking down cosmetic bundles that are conceived as “inappropriate” because they lack an pointless, inconvenient censor-bar that does nothing but hinder creators and serves to help absolutely nobody.

I guarantee you if you showed any sane parent a bundle that lacked a modesty layer, they wouldn’t have nearly the same thought process Roblox’s corporate decision-makers seem to have regarding whether or not it’s appropriate.

This was never even much of an issue before the introduction of the modesty layer because there is literally nothing down there. The mental gymnastics required to try and claim these bundles are inappropriate is nothing short of astronomical.

If you ask me, I think this is probably a calculated decision by Roblox to try and cover-up their disregard for more pressing matters, like actual child endangerment issues. Roblox refuses to take any form of genuine action on that front, so this is their way of pretending they’re committed to child safety.

My thought process is this. Roblox starts heavily cracking down on bundles lacking “modesty layers” which implies that unclothed avatars are an issue to begin with, which, to any unsuspecting parent or news outlet that does no research on the matter, will assume is Roblox acting to enforce child safety. Though this is just a distraction from the much more pressing matters like the TROVES of inappropriate accounts, groups, and 2D clothing that doesn’t get properly moderated because everything moderation-wise that doesn’t involve money is either automated by a robot or outsourced.

Enforcing a policy like this so suddenly is incredibly suspicious as well, considering there are much more drastic issues right now like the fact that the UGC market is, and I cannot emphasize this enough, absolutely RAMPANT with copyright-infringing accessories, including many of these bundles. That market is bound to crash within the next three years, similarly to the audio catalog before it. It could be a distraction from the actual issues with UGC.

All this does is show complete incompetence from the higher powers at the company. It’s yet another addition to an embarrassingly long line of terrible decision-making and management from said higher-ups. These kinds of poor decisions happen so often now you’d think they were actively trying to be terrible, and for all we know, they very well could be.

I honestly think the only company I’ve ever seen that rivals Roblox’s incompetency is 343 Industries, and that’s saying something, since 343 at least managed to get reformed by Microsoft.

Anyway, I stand with all the developers trying to get the modesty layer requirements either lightened or outright removed. It’s incomprehensibly stupid it’s gotten to this point and every figure responsible for this decision-making should be ashamed of themselves for focusing so many moderation-related resources into such a non-issue, especially considering there are drastically more important moderation issues that are in desperate need of attention.

With that, I will be returning to my inactivity.

EDIT: Just to further prove Roblox’s blatant incompetency on the matter of actually moderating their UGC catalog, a shirt I uploaded nearly a decade ago was removed for “copyright infringement”, being an old 2D shirt of Mario. I was warned for this. However, one search for “plumber” in the UGC catalog shows tons of UGC Mario hats, some of which are literally just ripped out of real Mario games. Baffling.

23 Likes

the modesty layer on ugc is baffling to me because it just makes it look more inappropriate than if it didnt have any modesty layer

11 Likes

FWIW I’m pretty sure the issue with the penguin bundle mentioned earlier is that body parts can be swapped between all kinds of avatars. This problem is likely the issue with a lot of inexplicable takedowns.

The texture of the penguin is quite smooth and difficult to see. In the right context with the right body parts, someone could use the legs or body of the bundle to pretend that their avatar is naked if they dress up the rest of it to match skin tone. CC @Noble_Draconian, with this reasoning I expect your avatar to be fine because the skin texture is very prominent.

There was a problem earlier where some users were putting the modesty layer on the legs only or the torso only, and then uploading two bundles that when combined could be used to appear naked.

The issue with these surprising takedowns is almost always going to be related to concerns with combining body parts in unintended ways.

That said though, UV mapped bundles really don’t need a modesty layer baked in, Roblox can add that themselves automatically. It just requires some workflow to identify these assets and confirm the UV mapping is accurate at the moderation stage.

5 Likes

The issue is, You cant really put modesty layers on BLOCKY avatars, since they dont have any realism or node in something that is not even representing a human. Thats like saying we sould add modesty layers to stickman

5 Likes

The force has since expanded to multiple big names on Twitter and YouTube, however, we see no progression. I’m not even sure they’ll listen to callouts and verbal protests.
Back then, during some blurry time in which builder’s club was segregated. Roblox was lagging behind on their roadmap, there were a handful of notable incidents, including toolbox flooding. To this day I still find remnants of these more active protests-- I don’t know what came of it or how soon it came, but many of the features players were causing a stir about are here today and have been for a while.

and frankly, I'm fed up with the current state of the engine and platform as a whole.

5 Likes

Roblox definitely need to take this as consideration because there is NO REASON to enforce every bundles to have modesty layers.

5 Likes

Totally agreed from me. This might be fixed issues for too long hopefully.

2 Likes

UGC bodies should not be allowed to have support for 2D Clothing on them in the first place. The 2D clothing layers are extremely low texture resolution and do not hold up to current standards. Developers shouldn’t be allowed to add support for them until we have a proper replacement for “classic clothing” that has support for 1k or even 2k textures.

2 Likes

Replacement? What do you mean by this?

2 Likes

This is an incredibly good point. Roblox is meant for people of all ages, kids included. Do they expect everyone to learn 3D modeling just to create some clothes?

6 Likes

They need to replace the 2D clothing with something higher resolution. The current 2d clothes use something thats 400x400 and only uses half of the uv map

1 Like

I mean, this would only work if they forcefully upscaled every clothing texture on the platform like GFX Artists do with thumbnails to keep the quality from being downgraded.

Getting rid of the 400x400 textures would basically delete every 2D clothing piece on the platform, which definingly isn’t an option tbh.

6 Likes

What kind of logic even is that? so what, it should just be disabled all-together? I don’t think so, that sounds pretty flawed to me, you can disable it on your games all you want, it shouldn’t ever be something forced on every developer, that’s just unfair in general, and rather restrictive, it’d make more sense to have it remain until a updated system is put in place for 2D clothing to be a higher resolution then have the system migrate, Not just outright doing essentially a “ban” on it just because it’s not meeting someone’s high standards.

9 Likes