Monetization Foundations [Playbook]

Hi Creators,

I’m WizardCow47 from the Developer Excellence team and I work on a lot of the content you see on the Creator Documentation Site.

Our team is excited to share our new Monetization Foundations playbook - a one-stop shop for learning about:

• In-experience items
  • The shop
  • Merchandising
  • Starter packs
  • Season passes
  • And more!

These components can help you create a thriving economy for your experience, maximize its monetary growth potential, and help build strong relationships with your players!

Monetization is essential for developing and maintaining your experiences. Monetization directly affects an experience’s monetary growth potential and is one of the most prominent content interaction spaces.

What’s next

For the uninitiated, the Design section of the Creator Documentation Site provides creators of all levels with essential information on how to design, build, monetize, and support your experiences.

This update is only the beginning, as we will continue to publish various playbooks that tackle topics including Contextual Tutorials, Contextual Purchases, and others, while also sharing existing sections from the Design section.

We hope you find this content useful and are excited to hear your feedback for future content.

Thank you.

122 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 10 minutes.

Im truly frustrated when Roblox does things like these. Firstly, what part of this is an update? It is simply a guide.(I want to make it known that I am aware that this is a free resource and is technically an update however, I simply dislike it for promoting deceitful conduct within the workspace. This is something Roblox has been doing for far too long without addressing whether by negligence or by direct intention). Secondly, the document actively promotes being deceitful and exploitative. With “Chance-based Merchandising” and “Price Calculations”. Chance-based
transactions are not necessarily bad however, the documentation does not nearly enough shed light about it’s demographic, kids. There should actively be enforcement in order to limit the amount of purchases children can do(Although yes, guardians are responsible). I do not wish(albeit it is) to make it an ethical question however this is to do with the Child safety. Another point, “Price calculations” is simply deceitful. These “offers” are permanent and literally lies. Where are Customer protection laws? I wish Roblox had a culture of promoting good games and earnest monetization rather than stuff like this. Also at a further look, you are literally promoting DMCA characters. “Zero Two” from “Darling in The Franxx” is copied in “Tower Defense Simulator”(which is being promoted by Roblox via this document) meaning that Roblox is actively promoting copying IP. How ridiculous truly. Here’s the comparison.

How interesting Roblox…

[If you wish to discuss this with me, please do it in private since it would be OOT from this topic.]

76 Likes

Announcements are Updates; the former is a subcategory of the latter. Announcements is for all things related to developers including new features, guides for creators and developer resources. This is promoting a developer resource available on the Creator Site and summarising what to find there.

I don’t want to delve into the whole rabbit hole of subjectiveness of morals and opinions about microtransactions - while that is an area that can certainly be explored, I feel like that’s a largely separate topic on its own. For what it’s worth, this is good at establishing the foundations of things that are proven to work on Roblox, a competitive space with a highly accessible market. I think it’s worth giving them the benefit of the doubt - most of our experiences are all live services, and it’s up to each creator how they want to monetise within reasonable bounds.

ETA: You’ve already been involved in this thread so you should be relatively aware of Roblox’s stance regarding intellectual properties and safe harbour provisions… if not, I recommend checking out discussion in this thread for information. Roblox handles this the same way any other UGC platform does (and should).

38 Likes

This is truly a stretch…

1. This is an update to the documentation site. A whole new category has been added. But that doesn’t really matter as you are taking the update’s category name wrong. It is “Update” as in they are updating the public about something.

2. This does not promote being deceitful and exploitative. If you open up the article it clearly says that you must adhere to all roblox guidelines regarding chance-based-purchases.

By using the PolicyService API, it limits the content being served to kids.

3. Regarding roblox “promoting” ip infringement… They definitely do not. They have stated multiple times for any sort of IP-based content takedown to take place, that the IP owner must contact them. If the person who created the character you are saying was stolen, was even able to get IP rights over an outfit, and then be able to prove that their IP was violated, they still need to ask roblox to take it down, which clearly hasn’t happened as it is still up.

TLDR: You are wrong, you are nitpicking this good resource which will help new and inexperienced developers start monetizing their games and fund new projects.

45 Likes

So that means that if the creators of “Tower Defense Simulator” didn’t have the legal rights to use this character in their game it wouldn’t be in the game. Since it is in their experience it means they have the rights unless a DMCA gets sent proving otherwise.

I’ve taken a quick look at the guide and its definitely seems like a good resource. It doesn’t contain any obviously manipulative patterns like the Decoy Effect which, while successful and useful is very deceptive. I think the inclusion of “season passes” is a bit manipulative though due to “FOMO” , but what good monetization strategies aren’t?

19 Likes

Expanding upon the documentation and adding more resources for upcoming and current developers only makes Roblox a more welcoming platform. Thanks for the addition, look forward to seeing the future playbooks!

19 Likes

What I said actively shows that they do not have the rights for such… Let me elaborate. By Aniplex saying that unless explicitly stated, all work is protected by copyright laws and cannot be distributed means that “Tower Defense Simulator” did not get the rights, as it was not publicly stated anywhere that the characters in their productions could be used. Privately, studios and the like have a 99% rejection rate when it comes to asking for permissions in regards to IP content since it could lead to the defamation of a character which affects the studio’s reputation. It is also within reasonable doubt that a simulator game was given private confirmation that they could use their character for a cosmetic. Rather than having the rights holder prove it, it should be the other way around, with the person using IP having to prove that they have permission. Monetization strategies can be non manipulative and examples of this include making actually good games and getting donations, promoting your game and starting a fundraiser, adding paid content or having good and original cosmetics.

21 Likes

Lets go back in more detail, to start,

You are being far too harsh to say they they are :

I guarantee you that the writers of this article did not know that the character was allegedly stolen, and I also guarantee you that if they did suspect that the character was stolen, they would have chosen a different example.

The fact is is that roblox does not have the ability to check every single UGC (games, shirts, decals, audio, or a combination of multiple items) so unless the IP owner contacts roblox theirselves, there is nothing that they can do. This is the same for every other website which has UGC.

In conclusion, roblox is not promoting IP Infringement.

Next, you state that

Did you miss the entire part about the PolicyService API?

No, you didnt. The service limits what children are able to see and interact with in game. In short, children can not interact with random item and change based purchases.

Lets talk about price calculations…

How is this deceptive and how does this violate consumer protection laws?

Roblox is telling users how to accurately calculate packaged items savings. This is the opposite of deceptive, it helps users know exactly the savings of purchasing the items in a bundle.

Have you even read the article? Each and every tip in the article explains ways to not deceive players, or take advantage of them.

These include:

• Using the PolicyService to limit users who may have trouble reading chance-based probabilities.
  • Using clear or easy to understand language when describing discounts, advantages, probabilities, or anything else that might influence a player’s purchasing decision.
  • Educating developers on how to count discounts properly.
19 Likes

Very comprehensive and well-written article.
I love the great use of examples.
This will help many people.

14 Likes

POV: Roblox user discovers common marketing practices and price optimization techniques. These aren’t new ideas or illegal.

PS, Great article/information.

16 Likes

I want to preface this by saying I have no beef / things against the person who wrote this. They’re simply doing their job and they seem nice. This is what I got from reading the articles mentioned in this post. Obviously opinionated but, from the perspective of someone who shares very similar experiences as the author.

The problem isn’t “how” to monetize. Most people (at-least those who take this platform seriously), know how to do it well. The problem is mainly, cut or percentage and the tools that we have to advertise with. The article is essentially a set-by-step guide on how to make creators and Roblox money along with helpful times on engagement and game design. On the surface, it seems reasonable. However, if you dive deeper into what percentage Roblox takes (~70.6%), it starts to paint a very different picture and the tone of the article may give off undertones of exploitation. This claim is used a lot so, I will attempt to iterate on it to make it less baseless.

The developer makes (~29.4%) of earnings. This is before taxes and whatnot. The share is not a guarantee because, on Roblox you’re paid fake virtual money that can be wiped non-existent at any second. For Roblox, the sale that they make (if valid & not refunded) is already in their pockets. It’s legal recognized tender and goes through intense global regulations to make it real. On Roblox, nothing is in your pocket until you use DevEx (which is governed by platform rules; is opaque and discretionary). Source

You’re at the mercy of conversion rate ($0.0035 per earned Robux; 285 R = $1 USD), cashing out once-per-month limit and 30,000 Robux on your account to even be eligible. Robux is virtual, corporate-control, corporate-facilitated, currency. What is earned is not immediately liquid. We have no real way of finding a basis of where these numbers came from (where percentages are derived from) and we’re solely relying on the fact that what we’ve been told is, in-fact, truth. This level of market control (where Roblox has the final say in how much you can cash out and when) increases the asymmetry of power between the platform and developers.

If you satisfy all the DevEx Eligibility Requirements, Roblox will decide in its sole discretion whether to offer you a Cash Out and how much you are eligible to receive in a Cash Out. Source

So if you never reached that threshold (regardless of how much time, money and effort you put in), you earn $0. You could bring as much traffic into the site as possible. Have X amount of users. But, if you don’t make the specific value of 30,000 Robux, you’re doing it for free while the platform is profiting.

Remember, just because they don’t spend money in your game doesn’t mean they don’t spend money in others on the same platform. In other games on other platforms, this principle wouldn’t matter at all because the level of being “locked-in” varies between publisher, game and sometimes, the engine (indirectly through royalty). On Roblox, the entity that determines how much you get paid and from what, is determined by Roblox and not developers. By definition if you don’t pay people enough (or at all) to those that bring audience or $$$ to your platform, it could be construed as exploitation. Which share very similar undertones as what you wrote unintentionally.

Additionally, the volume of games vs. the discoverability of them makes it extremely hard (regardless of what this guide conveys) to get your game out there and ultimately for people to play. There’s a lot of buy-in on the platform before you can reach the stage of self-sustainability and even if you’re somehow sustainable, it doesn’t last long. Which is not Roblox’s fault. All games are like this. They live and die with continued interest of the player-base. What’s different here is that Roblox maintains control over both the demand (player base) and the supply (developer base) which means that it has an outsized influence on who succeeds and who doesn’t on the platform. This level of monopolistic power to an entity that is also determining rates is rightfully objectionable to the masses (and new developers).

An issue that Roblox is plagued by is that developers are essentially having a bidding war for advertisement slots. You can do everything right and not have enough to outbid someone else and now, your advertisement may have less of an impact. However, regardless of whether or not you succeed, Roblox is already cashing in. It’s essentially, a pay-to-play scenario where regardless of your struggles and outcome, Roblox wins either way.

For a lot of new people (especially those making games), because developers are in a bid war less resource-rich developers are often times locked out despite the quality or potential of their games.

None of which is mentioned in the articles posted.

I don’t agree with the stance that Roblox is exploiting children but, I do agree (to some extent) that practices Roblox employ on the platform could be construed as exploitation and that’s what hurts the majority of developers. Ultimately, it’s due to Roblox not just being a marketplace but, an adjudicator of value and success. It’s a dual-role in that Roblox “lock-in” developers to their ecosystem but, it also reinforces Roblox’s power to determine who succeeds and who doesn’t. Disproportionate influence over the market is a huge turn off for most people that want to take this platform seriously. In order to break this barrier, thick-cloud, transparency is critical for an equitable ecosystem. When Roblox fails to inform new developers about realities of the platform and promotes “get rich fast”, “anyone can do it” tactics, new developers can burn / waste a lot of time, resources and potential.

That being said it’s common for platforms to have an edge in value-exchange. Roblox has a “chicken and egg” advantage where they offer access to a vast audience but, they maintain a great deal of control over what the audience sees and how much developers can earn from them. This level of centralized power can lead to exploitative situations, or at the very least, conditions that are not beneficial or off-putting to new and current developers.

Whether or not this constitutes exploitation is up in the air but, the scale of imbalance on this platform is hard to ignore and in my opinion, should be transparently conveyed in coherent dictation to new developers, current developers and the articles as a whole.

18 Likes

Most of the replies here are completely off-topic unfortunately, so I’ll hop in on-topic.
The guide looks good! It’s comprehensive, and uses very good examples. I’m a bit concerned that it might be too daunting for new creators, just starting out. They can feel that they need to hit the mark on all of these, while they cannot really design UIs themselves. I think it’s fair to say that this is a guide to ‘step up your game’, more than a checklist you have to complete before launching your game.
All in all, I’m glad this exists, more high quality documentation/guidelines/tutorials is very important.

16 Likes

We need more tutorial/guilds like this ill have to take a look more in depth on the guide but it seems like it would be very helpful. Having more resources like this as someone who really just builds on the platform is greatly appreciated as eventually I hope to have a better understanding of Roblox LUA.

I also have a game idea id like to pursue when that time comes and I’ve gotten enough practice and experience. Not only that but its a good learning tool

12 Likes

ah yes, monetization guidelines:
step1: predatory game design
step2: season passes, which have started to finally become hated by everyone
step3: profit.

11 Likes

GG Thanks for the info mate. Will be very helpful for my current and future games

10 Likes

I’m curious how exactly you find that the monetization guide is promoting predatory game design in any way.

I would think that bundles and starter packs are pretty run-of-the-mill as far as monetization strategies are concerned, and I don’t necessarily see any advice here that can truly be considered manipulative.

As far as loot boxes go, I can understand how there might be moral concerns that exist, however Roblox policies on “chance-based merchandising” are relatively strict compared to the rest of the industry. (I’m not aware of any other games clearly discloses lootbox odds)

This resource is very well-written and I hope more official guides like these (retention etc. ) can be made in the future.

9 Likes

You write that the

which is wrong, the actual conversion rate is $0.0035 per robux (285 R = $1 USD)

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.