Protecting Creativity by Understanding Intellectual Property

[Update] September 1, 2023

Hi Creators,

Our economy has been driven by your creativity. We care about providing more ways for you to earn from your creativity and empowering you with the information and tools to protect it.

The issues and laws around copies and intellectual property (IP) protections are nuanced and complex which is why we wanted to share basic information here about IP and how you can protect your own IP rights and creations. In addition to this post, we also updated the Intellectual Property article. We will continue to update this article so you can get more of your basic IP-related questions answered.

Note: IP laws and regulations may vary by jurisdiction. This post is not legal advice, if you have specific questions about your IP rights please consult an attorney.

Key takeaways

• When you create an original work, the things that are unique about it – your intellectual property – automatically get legal copyright protection as soon as you create it.
  • The more original and creative your design is, the broader your copyright protection can be.
  • Not all items you create are protectable IP. Publishing a design on Roblox that you found elsewhere does not necessarily give you IP ownership for that design.
  • Only the IP rights holder knows what rights they have and who they have given permission to use their creations. Roblox can’t take down a potentially IP infringing item until the rights holder files a takedown report letting us know what they believe infringes their rights.
  • If you give credit to the copyright owner you don’t automatically have the rights to use their copyrighted work.
  • If you find content on Roblox that you believe infringes your IP rights, please see our DMCA Guidelines for additional information on how to submit an IP takedown report to us.

What is copyright and intellectual property?

Intellectual property (IP) refers to creations of the mind, such as inventions; literary and artistic works; designs; and symbols, names and images used in commerce. Copyright is a legal protection for original works of authorship. Copyright protects many different types of creative works including music, movies, pictures, books and virtual goods among others.

Typically when you create an original work, the things that are unique about it – your intellectual property – automatically get legal copyright protection as soon as you create it. Only the unique, inventive aspects can be protected by copyright so the more original and creative your design is, the more its design elements are protected by copyright.

Publishing a design on Roblox that you found elsewhere does not necessarily give you IP ownership for that design specifically on Roblox, which means that you may not be able to prevent other Roblox users from also making that design. For example, users that create virtual baseball caps on Roblox will not be able to request the removal of other completely different baseball caps, as shown below.

Other examples where you may not have IP ownership:

• If you see an interesting hat in the real world or on another platform and want to create a virtual replica of that hat on Roblox, you may still need the permission of the original creator of the hat.
  • If you give credit to the copyright owner you don’t automatically have the rights to use their copyrighted work.
  • If you want to create a hat on Roblox inspired by a well-known style of hat, such as a top hat, you may not be able to stop other users from uploading similar hats.

How to protect your intellectual property and the rights of others

In order to protect your IP, it’s important that your creations are unique. For example, the creation below takes a well-established concept (a Trojan helmet) and adds intricate details that make the design an original expression of the idea, such as the shape and orientation of the gold adornments and the shape of the facial opening.

Figure (a): Trojan helmet with design detail elements that may be copyright-protected due to their unique nature.

When the creator sees others using those specific original design elements in their designs, such as the examples below, they can request the removal of those items.

Figures (b) to (d): Potentially infringing Trojan Helmets using unique design elements of Figure (a) (original).

But just because the original creator can request the removal of those three Trojan helmets does not mean that they can remove all Trojan helmets from the platform. For example, the helmet below is likely not infringing because it does not include any of the creator’s unique elements:

Figure (e): Substantially differentiated Trojan Helmet sharing none of the unique design elements of Figure (a), reducing the likelihood that it would be removed for IP infringement.

Another way to strengthen your IP protection is incorporating your own unique trademark into your items. This can be a helpful way to build your own brand natively on Roblox and visually differentiate your creations from others.

To protect the creativity of others, the Roblox Terms of Use states that any content you create must respect the intellectual property rights of others – both on and off our platform.

• This means you should not upload content you do not own or did not get the owner’s permission to use.
  • Infringing on someone’s intellectual property is not only a violation of Roblox’s Terms of Use but it’s also a violation of the law.

What Roblox does to protect your intellectual property

Roblox complies with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) and has a designated process for receiving and handling copyright takedown reports from the owner of the original work.

• Roblox must adopt and reasonably implement a policy providing for the termination in appropriate circumstances of users who are repeat copyright infringers.
  • Roblox investigates each report and takes appropriate action, which may include removing or disabling the infringing content, and permanently terminating the accounts of users who have repeatedly infringed on the IP of others.
  • If the filing is compliant with legal requirements, and the infringing item is taken down, the infringing creator will lose any upfront payment(s) from publishing Limiteds and Robux earned from item sale(s).

Only the IP rights holder knows what rights they have and who they have given permission to use their creations. Roblox can’t take down a potentially IP infringing item until the rights holder files a takedown report letting us know what they believe infringes their rights.

If you find content on Roblox that you believe infringes your IP rights, please see our DMCA Guidelines for additional information on how to submit an intellectual property takedown notice to us.

• Submitting a IP takedown notice to us is a legal process.
  • If Roblox receives a takedown notice about content from someone other than the IP owner or the owner’s representative, Roblox cannot legally take action against the infringer unless contacted by the actual owner.
  • Only the rights holder or their authorized representative can report content that infringes on their intellectual property rights.

Roblox-created items and intellectual property

What we shared above equally applies to items that we created as well. We’ve found that the majority of complaints we see about copies of Roblox-created items do not in fact infringe on our IP. We do enforce our own rights when items infringe on our IP, but IP protections do not necessarily extend to every idea presented in a work, but rather the original and unique elements of a work.

For example, Roblox may publish a virtual item that’s a replica of an ordinary, common item in the real world where countless versions (both physical and digital) already exist from many different makers. This might be an unbranded baseball cap or an orange traffic cone. With so few distinguishing elements of the Roblox-created item, even items that appear similar to our creations may not infringe on our IP rights.

|198x197.95273901578378

(a) Roblox-created traffic cone. Just because other creators make traffic cones, Roblox will not request the removal of other completely different traffic cones made by other creators.

What’s next: Better Creator tools to report, manage, and track IP claims

Our reporting and tooling around IP infringement is an area we are constantly investing in. Over the next few quarters, we want to make it easier for creators to manage their IP on Roblox and we will be building tools that will make reporting, managing and tracking your IP takedown requests easier.

In addition to providing more education and resources, we will continue to share more regular updates with you on tools and ways we are continuing to build a healthy and fair Marketplace.

Thank you.

Resources

FAQs

Click here to view the FAQ!

How do I protect my creativity?

• Continue to create unique work. The more original and creative your design is, the more its design elements are protected by copyright.

If you find content on Roblox that you believe infringes your IP rights, please see our DMCA Guidelines for additional information on how to submit an IP takedown report to us.

IP laws and regulations may vary by jurisdiction. If you have specific questions about your IP rights, it’s still always best to consult an attorney.

How does Roblox protect my IP?

• IP owners are the ones best positioned to tell us what is infringing. And only the rights holder can report content that infringes on their intellectual property rights. If you find content on Roblox that you believe infringes your IP rights, please see our DMCA Guidelines for additional information on how to submit an IP takedown report to us.

Roblox investigates each report and takes appropriate action, which may include removing or disabling the infringing content, and permanently terminating the accounts of users who have repeatedly infringed on the IP of others.

Who can be an authorized representative?

• The IP owner can authorize someone else to report on their behalf. The reporter must be able to show proof such as a written agreement stating that they are authorized to report on behalf of the IP owner.

What happens when the claim I filed is valid?

• If the filing is valid, and the infringing item is taken down, the infringing creator will lose any manufacturing payment and Robux earned from the item’s sales.
Additional FAQs (Sept 1, 2023)

Is my experience covered by intellectual property rights?

• The parts of your experience that are unique or original – your intellectual property – are indeed protected by copyright law. This is true of any original creative content format you publish on the platform, whether it’s an image, a Marketplace item, an experience, or any other innovative format we enable in the future.

Will Roblox introduce a feature for users to report instances where someone else’s work is being used?

• As we mention in the post, we only allow rights holders to report suspected IP infringements because only the rights holder knows the extent of their rights. For example, the original creator may have granted a license so others could use their creations lawfully.
    We are exploring asset similarity detection tools so you can check if items you are creating already exist on the platform or whether someone has potentially copied your IP.

Why can’t Roblox make a feature where the individual can go delete items in their inventory they uploaded a long time ago, instead of waiting for moderation / strikes?

• There is a difficult balance between being fair to creators and fair to their customers who may have paid for access to those items. We want to ensure that any solution we implement respects the community and is not abused. We are continuing to investigate this issue and will provide an update when we have more to share.

How does this also affect TOU and recent changes that state Roblox can use your UGC in any media for any business purpose?

• Our Terms of Use specify that Creators retain the copyrights that they may have to the original creations that they upload to the platform. Creators do grant Roblox permission to use their UGC for specific purposes, such as operating the Roblox service.

If you have any questions about what our Terms of Use say, we recommend that you first read the Terms carefully and then consult with an attorney if you still have questions regarding your legal rights to your creations.

What happens with IP infringement of Roblox items off-platform?

• Roblox cannot detect or take action when items that you create on Roblox are used elsewhere without your permission. Similar to the notice and takedown process for Roblox, you are responsible for finding infringement off-platform and requesting a takedown by the publishers.

Will users who are NOT the IP holder be able to make anonymous copyright infringement reports?

• No. Only the IP rights holder knows what rights they have and who they have given permission to use their creations. Roblox can’t take down an item for potentially infringing someone’s IP until the rights holder files a takedown report letting us know what they believe infringes their rights.

What are the rules and regulations around IP when AI is used in creating avatar items?

• This is a complex topic which the courts are still debating at the highest level. We’ll be compliant with regulations as they’re created. We care deeply about protecting developers’ creativity on the platform and we’re always exploring new ways to do so.

Are there also regulations for users using images of real life people or images off Google Images as items sold in the Marketplace?

• The Roblox Community Standards prohibit sharing certain personal information, regardless of where that information was found. This includes publishing images of yourself or of non-public figures.

This is separate from any rights a famous person may have for use of their likeness on a platform. Using Google Image results in your Roblox content does not necessarily ensure that you are complying with intellectual property laws. If you are unsure about whether your content violates laws or regulations, please consult your own legal counsel.

253 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 10 minutes.

Let’s hope this actually stops with what’s happening with UGC, so many copies.

57 Likes

Does this translate over to games as well? So if someone creates a copy of your game, you can request it to be taken down? I’m guessing it gets a bit more complicated with games though, about what counts as a copy and what doesn’t.

40 Likes

This was a really well written and insightful article on Ip rights and DMCA. I think this will be found to be EXTREMLEY helpful to those looking to understand IP rights in general, as well as those who feel some of their IP is being infringed on and are thinking about making a claim.

Thank you for sharing this information!

30 Likes

Will Roblox introduce a feature for users to report instances where someone else’s work is being used?

For example, if I stumble upon an experience or post on another platform that employs assets clearly created by someone I collaborate with or know (or know of), and I’m certain the rights belong to them, even though I can’t directly contact the affected individual.

25 Likes

How does this also affect TOS? As the new changes in July had stated Roblox can copy your UGC in any media for any business purpose. Also, what is the current future for Roblox’s moderation? I have heard about the deep learning model you guys are training, is that what you will be using in order to moderate effectively? In the post, it states only the rights holder or their authorized representative can report content that infringes on their IP rights, does this mean if a report is not submitted, the work will remain up? I assume such, which means that moderation will be non-existent for this. This is especially concerning considering that Roblox is turning very UGC-centric in it’s economy. Additionally, what if the rights holder changes their terms of use for their IP without communication? Does this mean that any public UGC can be suddenly turned private, then report to Roblox that they have several games infringing their IP? Additionally, if local law differs between the owner and the person who violated their IP, which leglislation would be used in order to enforce change? Thanks for this clarification.

22 Likes

it states in the post that only authorized people or the owner of the IP can report violations.

@index_nil
Games are still UGC however, I think it will be complicated in regards to frameworks and or programming. I do believe that models, sfx and vfx are still legible though.

19 Likes

This should be on the uploader getting for uploading a bad item. A little while ago one of my friends uploaded a shoulder pal of my avatar to my group, completely unknown to me, and I got 3 DMCA threats and one actual request. Why was I the one to get the strike? I hold the group, but I had nothing to do with the item. I had never edited it, touched it, uploaded it, etc. I had just bought it. This really needs a rework and the uploader should always be responsible.

19 Likes

Or you could take the initiative and take down obvious copyright violations ahead of time, before another lawsuit happens. Items like the following are clearly violations, yet you’re content to wait around and not do anything.

Worst part about your statement? You went after copyright violations in the past without waiting for the IP holders to notify you. We all saw it happen, and within minutes or hours after the upload.

26 Likes

If you read the post, you’d know that they can’t do it

Is this something that you can back up? If that is the case, Roblox broke the law.

15 Likes

What if you were to used marketplace hats and accessories for your game? Specifically what if you were to use them in places such as a “Character Creator”?

14 Likes

Ah I see now, my mistake! Thanks for clearing that up for me!

15 Likes

It’s really helpful for Roblox to provide this information for all creators on the platform in an easy-to-understand manner. I have seen a lot of posts of confusion about how Roblox deals with IP and why Roblox doesn’t just “eradicate all copyright infringing content” (because they can’t assume it is infringing, and neither can you, because you don’t know if the uploader has permission).

I do have to point out though - with increased interests in respecting and protecting the IP of both third parties and Roblox creators, I think we would all also appreciate support from Roblox for us to deal with our own assets as we cannot delete them and archival is not enough. Roblox originally had a support line so we could have support delete assets uploaded by us that we’ve deemed or been alerted are not used on permissive grounds, but it has been non-responsive for over 2 years.

My post about that, as well as a feature request about leniency on account moderation action when dealing with copyright violations, is here. I have a second post there as well when I attempted to file it through support instead and they were unwilling to help me delete content that I can’t delete myself, leaving me liable to potential moderation against assets uploaded years ago due to their failure to handle my ticket in an appropriate manner.

ETA: For the post above mentioning near-instant violation deletions, they likely already had a notice submitted prior from a rights holder to issue those deletions. New violations that aren’t being “deleted” do not have that notice, and it is not obvious. The post already explains they can’t assume anything. Roblox can’t assume an uploader doesn’t have permission and you can’t assume that either nor if Roblox has already received a takedown notice about a certain asset.

25 Likes

Yep. Back in 2021, a Roblox YouTuber by the name of PliqueYT uploaded an accessory called Anime Alter Sword. It was literally just Excalibur Alter, from the Fate/stay night franchise, and was swiftly deleted for copyright violation, something the user mentioned on his twitter and group, before deleting the posts.

There was no time for Type-Moon, the company that holds the IP, to have contacted Roblox during that time, as it was deleted very quickly.

18 Likes

As someone who specializes in IP and helping small creators get setup with managing their own IP, this post is extremely helpful to those who are new to the platform and IP in general. I’m excited to see the new tools in the next few quarters to better manage and track the DMCA takedown requests.

15 Likes

Well you claim that but this could’ve easily still happened. A lot of major companies employ dedicated copyright agents who are paid to scour the internet in search of anything that can be related to their IP and fine notices if needed. They either came about this on accident or were in the middle of filling claims against someone else and they got hit with it.

Assuming that Roblox follows the law for one thing when they can go after some random IP instead of the big ones like Minecraft and Zelda pokes a lot of holes in your logic.

Unless you’re the copyright agent for that IP, I recommend not speculating.

20 Likes

ok, now clean the Marketplace…

16 Likes

Great post, provides plenty of information.
Hopefully this will also reduce the amount of stolen/copied assets on the marketplace because if you’ve seen or read this then ignorance is no excuse for infringement or stolen work.

Let’s hope this proves useful, thanks for this post.

15 Likes

In answer to your question

In the post, it states only the rights holder or their authorized representative can report content that infringes on their IP rights, does this mean if a report is not submitted, the work will remain up?

ROBLOX themselves or whatever service you are using do not have the legal standing to determine who is infringing of a copyright unless the original owner or rights holder contacts them. Until the service that the infringing item is posted on is notified, it is generally classified as any other asset. Only when a report is made and reviewed by the copyright agent of said service then does it become a possibility for it to be removed, including (possibly) future similar items depending on the service.

Generally speaking, almost all websites that offer user-posted media follow this guideline. As far as I am aware it isn’t outlined within the DMCA act that the service is responsible for infringing content until it is reported as an illegal/infringing copy by the original rights holder or a representative.

This is just based off of my knowledge on the subject, if you are more interested in it I would definitely check out some articles on DMCA and what it protects, and how the services are held responsible after a claim is created.

15 Likes