Monkey Poop [City] Devlog

MONKEY POOP

In 2021 we released a silly game idea called Monkey Poop. The basic premise being that you are a naughty monkey in the zoo and you go around throwing poop at the visitors and other zoo animals.

The game attracted some ardent fans and has nearly reached 100k plays. It’s a fun game to play which has developed over time with more animals in the zoo.

However, after months of requests, the time has come for the monkeys to be released into the big wide world, building them a city to allow them to roam further and be naughtier than ever before.

Monkey City Preview
The build of the new city is now in progress:

The Monkey King

Although players can roam the city in “free play”, the main aim of the game is to perform missions for the all new Monkey King:

Monkey Missions
The Monkey King will set the monkeys a variety of challenges to accomplish around the game world. The aim is to create challenges which get progressively more silly and chaotic as the player advances.

NPC Enhancements
The game world is currently populated with a number NPCs who roam the zoos attractions, which are selected randomly from the players Friends List. As NPC numbers increase, slower devices have struggled to maintain smooth NPC character animation so we will be looking to improve this, possibly dropping the friends altogether. The main wish here would be to have the NPC characters and/or animation client-side only, but this idea has not been tested yet.

Animals
The are a number of animals in the zoo to interact with that all exhibit very different behaviour

• Penguins - the first animal and are passive, just roaming in their enclosure
  • Elephants - Noisy, wild& unpredictable. will either stomp you into the ground or fling you with their trunk in to space (great fun though)
  • Gorillas - Fairly content to sit and eat. Will attack if you get too close
  • Shark - Has a taste for monkey limbs
  • Lion - Dont get too close or he will grab you and eat you
  • Giraffe - tall and docile, easy victim for poop throwing monkeys
  • Tiger - Some say he is just a man in a tiger suit but he can still be deadly.
  • Crocodile - Sleepy, unless you get too close then he will strike and eat you
  • More animals - If we have time and can think of silly things for them to do

Build Team
Owner - EmilyGaming9081
Scripter - BadDad2004
Builder - ColdNordium

Admins - magnum_pagnum

Testers - None. Reply to this post join the list

Progress
I will try to do a weekly update on the game as we slowly make progress.

Feedback
Do you have any funny ideas for monkey missions that we could incorporate in to our game play. We would really like to hear your ideas. Can’t guarantee we will be able to do them all but we’d still like to hear from you.

9 Likes

May I be a tester?

I think some birds in the animal list would add some more variety, maybe a parrot?

1 Like

Thanks for volunteering. Please join our group, where I have added a Tester role:
https://www.roblox.com/groups/10109525/

I am just getting the Missions sorted first before I release a test version, I will let people know on here when it is available.

1 Like

The group doesnt exist anymore?

1 Like

Sorry, try this link instead:

1 Like

It’s a pretty fun game, but some of the Npc’s had issues. Some didn’t have animations, the keeper kept running at a wall, and the tiger followed me around.

I know the NPCs need a big revamp. I wasn’t aware the keeper was having problems too, so thanks for letting us know. For the tiger I think once he latches on to you he just never stops so I will add that to the list as well, perhaps a magnitude check would help there.

1 Like

Lots more buildings added to the city, some designed to host mission activities so have to be explorable.

Done a full rewrite of the NPC system using Justice and moved all NPC animations client side. Next major challenge is writing all the modules for the Monkey King Missions. Had quite a lot of ideas for silly missions to do, some more complex than mothers. We will try to release these slowly over time.

I will open up the Test place this weekend for comments.

1 Like

Test place opened for comments. Please let us know of any problems or any ideas.

Known Issues
Justice NPCs not pathing all the time
To Do
Missions

Is the test place closed, now?

Sorry it had been set to group members only. Now open publicly

2 Likes

I just checked out your game. It’s gonna be fun when you implement all those new features into the actual game. I interacted with the hydrants in the city and I bought the chimpanzee. The menus for buying things look good.

1 Like

Thank you for the positive comments. Building and scripting work is in progress continually.
Added today

• Marine guard in Military base
  • Updated Keeper to catch and send you back to Monkey cage
  • Monkey Missions UI

Places to Explore
Any building that has an interior is intended to be part of the Missions:
Pharmacy - obby style entry via the rear
Police Station - Smash first floor window
Hardware store - in through front door to find useful items
Gas Station -
Museum - obby style entry via trees to roof door
Bank - through the front door for now. Explore thoroughly :slight_smile:
Mil Base - Underground storage area and vent exit to tunnels
Burger Bar - in progress
Pizza shop - in progress
Bakery - in progress

To Do
Missions scripts - 25 missions to write and test. First one in progress

Lots added recently:
NPCs

• Animal Control - New NPC that roams the city. Faster than the Zoo Keeper and carries a net so can catch from a distance
  • Soldier - Patrols the military base and shoots

City

• Police station detailed, ready for Breakout mission
  • Obby for Museum entry completed
  • River obby & Forest camp for Light the Way mission
  • Fire hydrants now have an impact when opened

Monkey King Missions
Added

• Feed the King - find the bananas
  • Light the Way - find a campfire, light the torch and return to the king to light all torches in his cave

In Progress

• Coronation - Get the king a Monkey King a crown

Once a mission has been completed, it is reflected in the environment, so lighting a torch for example, becomes permanent in game. What you do affects the game world type thing but on a very small scale.

Aiming for ~25 missions to complete in total, each getting more complex and more difficult as you progress

Fixes

• Elephant was missing his front legs
  • Tiger less aggressive and will give up chasing if player is too far

Still enjoying working on this. We had great help from @ Coolsbloxian who did some great reporting when we opened the test place up.

1 Like

UPDATE
Happy New Year all. We have been working on the missions. Frequently they require tools to be created, new buildings for specific functions, NPCs and lots of coding.

IMPACT
Some missions impact on the environment. For example, the before and after of the first 4 missions:
Before

After

The first 5 missions have been completed and hopefully offer some fun gameplay. In play testing, we have been caught put by the Animal Control officer who keeps capturing the monkeys as they try to complete missions which is funny.

NEXT
The next 5 missions are being planned and developed. Hopefully they will follow a pattern of 4 fairly simple missions follows by one larger event.

1 Like

Oh. It always looks bad when we don’t publish regular updates. Anyhoo. An idea that came out of testing from by @Coolsbloxian was to add traffic. So, we now have working NPC vehicles, which try not to crash in to each other whilst following traffic markers around the city.

1 Like

Its looking great! It looks like you’ve accomplished a lot
Im afraid I dont play roblox anymore, so I cannot test, but you seem to be doing well without it. It was a fun ride

Also, do the cars kill you?

Cars don’t kill players, but you do end up in hospital if you get hit so best to avoid them. NPCs can get hit and they just get flung. I’ll do another vid for that cos it’s quite funny.

I have been making a Boss Fight as requested by the most hardcore players. I present to you:

KONG

That’s really neat! The animations for KONG could be a bit better, but the ragdolling and boss fight are great. The music could be a little more… Intimidating. When the gorilla fell off of the skyscraper, I was expecting a shockwave or something. Great work! Can’t wait to see what you come up with next!