Motion Blur Effect

My appologies, I thought motion blur was referring to the motion blur of turning your head really fast or moving at high velocity. I’ve already made a feature request on how to implement that feature.

It would in fact be useful for racing games, because of the sense of speed and all, in general it would be great!

2 Likes

Too bad people hate it because they’re kissing up to the engineers at roblox for being too difficult to add, as if they don’t work for a billion dollar company.

2 Likes

Nobody here in opposition to motion blur is kissing up to Roblox engineers because it’s difficult to add. In fact, nobody in this thread is opposing motion blur for a technical reason, it’s all been stylistic opinions.

What I’m pretty sure you’re referencing is your dumpster fire of a thread where you got absolutely destroyed by people who actually know what they’re talking about. It’s not about being too difficult to add, it’s just not worth Roblox’s resources right now.

Assuming you didn’t tap out by this third paragraph, stop attacking people who disagree with you. It’s not a good look.

6 Likes

It would certainly add onto games. I see a lot of people complain that it somehow would look terrible, but they’re forgetting it can be toggleable.

I am for this.

Clearly there are many people in opposition in this discussion, even hating the idea or smashing the person who came up with this

Of course there are people who oppose motion blur and hate the very idea of it; that’s their own opinion, one I share myself. However, nobody here said anything about OP or is bashing them personally. If there was, it must’ve been deleted.

The person I responded to had their feelings hurt in another thread on this same topic and felt the need to go to a different one and snarkily brush it all off as people sucking up to Roblox engineers, which is just incredibly childish. Let’s stop making things up to be upset over.

1 Like

Clearly you haven’t read the thread, majority of the people rejected the idea because they don’t want it for any given reason other than they won’t use it, completely ignoring other developers who want it.

There is no reason to insult the thread when all I did was propose a solution to a requested feature that even 2005 games have with zero drawbacks.

And referring to the people that “actually” know what they’re doing, they do not know, otherwise they would do better at proposing their own solutions. I’m not attacking them for disagreeing with me, I’m attacking them for being blatantly wrong and misinterpreting the thread.

I’ve read the thread plenty. I actually kept coming back to it because I enjoyed learning about motion blur itself.

Eltobb’s posts didn’t argue that he didn’t want it or that he wouldn’t use it. Instead, he visibly demonstrated what you were proposing and then deconstructed it to prove why it wasn’t a very good idea. You then proceeded to dismiss him by saying he “was not okay” and doubled down that nobody understands what you want.

You said frame-stacking, but as Eltobb said, that is not what Forza does, nor what any game really does, in fact. Any time someone directly said that your understanding of motion blur is incorrect you ignored them.

I do apologize for being a bit aggressive in calling you out, but I will stand by my points that you are arrogant and condescending and should conduct yourself better if you want people to take you seriously. This is getting off-topic and I don’t have much interest in continuing to argue when you have no intentions on changing your mind, as demonstrated in how you’ve talked to others.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, because this image does not look like it’s using Frame Blending.
ace5aa1277ef014b614b882c99be4fc7d9c1b0ef_2_282x500
And why are we shunning my solution to motion blur when I provided the simplest method of motion blur that Roblox can give us at any time.

That’s what Forza does when the game is paused in cinematography/photo mode. It can take up to 2 minutes to render the effect for one frame, so applying that specific effect in real-time like @InsanityFE4R mentioned is definitely not viable.

4 Likes

I think you’re confusing blender motion blur for real time motion blur, frame stacking is real time. You could go about and suggest a better motion blur system but seeing that this is Roblox we’re both talking about, they’re not gonna invest that much into us and choose the frame stacking option which takes very few lines of code to write.

Having ~2 minute long frame times is not “real time”, the specific example you’re using doesn’t really work for your argument. If you turned down the amount of samples, sure it would take less time but if you’re using Forza Horizon’s cinematography mode as the basis for your argument that doesn’t really work out.

I’m sure there’s other reasons why Roblox isn’t implementing Motion Blur yet, such as engineering time, engineering debt, etc. A good example of this is volumetric clouds, they’re paused atm so that the team can focus on rewriting and refactoring older code and addressing pain points with the engine.

If they provided Motion Blur developers would also expect cross-platform support, support in general, support across different devices and architectures such as OpenGL, Vulkan, Metal, and all of that takes up quality assurance and engineering time.
Roblox doesn’t have unlimited resources so they have to focus them into highest priority areas. Motion Blur is not a game critical feature; I’m pretty sure there’s no game mechanics which rely on Motion Blur, but inform me if there is.

3 Likes

I don’t think you know what Frame-stacking is, so because of this I will disregard any statements you’ve made. There’s no reason to read something that has a high likely hood of being wrong. Frame stacking is real time, there’s a reason we can run games on an input latency of 8ms or less, stacking previously rendered frames doesn’t consume 2 minutes of my time. Where did you get that?

I’m referring to the specific and only example you gave of Frame Stacking, which was Forza Horizon. In that game, frame times take about 2 minutes in the exact mode that specific example photo was taken in.

4 Likes