Motor6D not listening to CurrentAngle since latest Roblox update

We have a ticket tracking the issue and are investigating. We haven’t pinpointed the cause yet.

If you can send us a place file with instructions we can use to reproduce this consistently, that would be extremely helpful.

7 Likes

@ContextLost I sent you a message with place file and instructions.

1 Like

From my experience, not only Motor6D is affected, but also the regular Motor object. When the DesiredAngle property is changed by a server script, the change is only visible on its network owner’s side, and on the server side the angle never changes.

4 Likes

motor6d bug repro.rbxl (22.7 KB)
Launch 2 players and use the buttons on player 2.

The client → server replication used to work perfectly for motor6d’s, since this update, the propellers stopped rotating in my game.

Doors are also completely broken now aswell because of this issue and every single day, i am receiving messages about people being annoyed that these things are broken.

Client to server replication / setting the DesiredAngle manually on the server:

^ player2

Script setting the desired angle on the server:

2 Likes

@ContextLost, any word on a fix for this issue? I still find it occurring in my game.

1 Like

if i re-call correctly, i think it’s something to do with FE

It’s breaks almost everything using motors including planes, cars, etc… I hope this will be fixed soon. This bug have been happening a while ago, but people tought this were a non-announced Update about motors.

Not yet, no. We have a link to this post on the ticket, and we’ll try to reply when this gets fixed.

2 Likes

This bug seems to be network ownership specific. For example, this script in a model with 2 parts connected via Motor6D:

game.Players.ChildAdded:Wait()
local Player = game.Players:FindFirstChildOfClass("Player")
script.Parent.Part:SetNetworkOwner(Player)
print("ownership given to", Player)
script.Parent.Motor.DesiredAngle = 1

The player with network ownership will see everything work as normal. Any other players will see the two parts rapidly flicker between the motor being at angle 0 and angle 1 every time the two parts move. If the two parts are left untouched they will appear in their correct positions.

However its worth noting that in the example place I quickly put together the motor goes to the correct position on the server, whereas in the game I encountered this bug (a pop-up headlight on a car) the motor will never change from a current angle of 0 on the server unless the current angle property is changed directly by the server, even though the motor has both a non-zero max velocity and the correct desired angle. Motor6dbug.rbxl (19.4 KB)

2 Likes

Yeh i mentioned in my post when i first noticed it that it had to be network ownership linked. A very simple reason is that if you drop same model in the players character those functions will replicate on the server too without issue. There seems to be a mismatch with motor6d and Networkownership due to a recent change. Of which CurrentAngle only changes on the player with network ownership but never the server or other players which means if you had a server side script reading currentangle to check if its past a limit to play a sound for example it will never do that on even the player with network ownership unless that script is a local script.

We should have a fix for this enabled by the end of the week :slight_smile:

7 Likes

The fix should be live, let me know if you still encounter this issue!

1 Like

We are encountering issue with welds/motor6d/weldConstraints not updating Part1’s position locally when the Part0’s don’t move on the server but do move on the clients.

Yea I think it’s related unfortunately, reverting this fix as the decal bug is more prevalent.

Edit: reverted. sorry!

1 Like

I tried my test place out, just the truck and another car.
The fix you tried for the Motor6D seems to work, but it has become more ‘twitchy’ feeling.
I have the steer Script in my VehicleSeat (not a LocalScript as I want everyone in the game to see the movements properly) and the movement of the wheels while steering used to be really smooth but now seems a bit glitchy.
Occasionally when you try to steer the wheels lag behind and suddenly jump to their updated angle.
I also tried making the variables local but there was no difference in the movement.

The replication is still not working from client → server

1 Like

kleptonaut mentioned they reverted the fix since it was messing with decals…

2 Likes

@kleptonaut @ContextLost Are there any updates with this issue? Would be nice to know.

1 Like

Still working on it. Hope to have it fixed either next week or the week after, but I will post here when it is.

3 Likes

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed a ticket for this issue and we’ll follow up here when we have an update for you.

2 Likes