MouseButton1Down not being detected on Mobile in Studio

Issue Type: Other
Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2021-05-01 00:05:00 (-05:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2021-05-01 00:05:00 (-05:00)

Reproduction Steps:

1. Create a ScreenGui

2. Create a TextButton in the ScreenGui

3. Create a LocalScript in the TextButton

4. In the script, write:

script.Parent.MouseButton1Down:Connect(function()
       print("PRESS")
     end)

5. Enable the mobile device test mode (with any phone)

6. Play the game

7. Click on the TextButton

Expected Behavior:
The work “PRESS” should appear in the console.

Actual Behavior:
The click is not detected on mobile. This still works in an actual game though.

Workaround:
Use InputBegan instead.

4 Likes

It is because its a phone, and phones don’t have a mouse. Use this instead:

script.Parent.TouchTap:Connect(function()

end)

MouseButton1Down works in-game, but not in Studio.

1 Like

if its then how would you make a button work exactly like mousebutton1down on mobile as i also am figuring out how

This is why the specific event is not working. MouseButton1Down receives input through a player’s Mouse (devhub) object in order to fire, and when you’re on a mobile device or emulating one, you will not be sending input via this object but rather through your touch-screen. When you’re emulating mobile, think of your mouse pointer as a simulated fingertip that allows you to send physical touch input to the client - because your code won’t know the difference

If your goal is cross-platform input handling, see GuiObject.InputBegan (devhub) and related members

To add: if MouseButton1Down is fired via touch input on the non-emulated mobile client, then that’s more likely a client bug for mobile and not a studio bug for emulation of mobile.

This has been the functionality since Roblox first debuted on touch devices. The removal of this functionality in the last few days breaks a lot of scripts developed over the last few years in Studio.

2 Likes

Experiencing the same issue, probably a bug unfortunately.

This bug started happening for me as well, found it while doing some last-minute update testing. Everything other than MouseButton1Down seems to work fine, and everything still works fine outside studio. It was also just working a few days ago in studio.

I can confirm I am seeing the Same, I know it used to work in Studio, this is how I tested my game for mobile. (example: a drag-able gui button) Now it only works in game.

Thanks for the report! We’ve filed a ticket to our internal database and we’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

1 Like