Move upper constraint of topbar transparency to 1

I’d imagine 100% of this would be skipped over if I posted a 10-paragraph word wall, so I’ll shorten it to simple sentences and a few paragraphs.

The topbar is a good update, it should not be reverted, and nobody is asking for it to be reverted. It looks good in most games and ensures that ROBLOX can freely modify the CoreGui without messing with user-created GUI – this is really good. However, the topbar is not the best UI choice for all games. The topbar is a container, and when it is empty, it’s just a functionless black bar. There is nothing to “think about”. Hiding an empty black bar, leaving only the menu does not make the game look bad. It looks exactly as it did before the topbar update, which is not ugly at all. If you need to prevent the topbar from being hidden when there are items in it, that’s fine, but if it’s empty, we should be able to hide the functionless black bar.

If you’re worried about “well does the GUI drawing plane move up once the topbar is hidden?”, the answer is no. It should continue to to be shifted down or else the menu button will potentially conflict with the user-created GUIs. If game developers want to make use of the newly opened space, they can manually have their GUIs compensate for that. Now all concerns are addressed and nothing needs to be discussed. If there are any other concerns, please list them here, because keeping them to yourself after you haven’t been able to come to a conclusion after half a year certainly won’t help anyone.

Do you know how silly this is that we’re still “considering” whether or not we should be able to hide an empty black bar after half a year? Generally your whole community has requested something for half a year and nothing has happened. When it comes to UI changes it takes an act of god for anything to happen :X It’s an empty black bar – we should be able to hide it, and discussion time is over. It’s been 6 months. Please give your developers what they have been asking for.

Notable mentions:
Interns: Tomarty, Gusmanak, and Rukiryo all posted that the topbar should be able to be hidden. Davidii thanked Gus’s post that the topbar should be able to be made fully transparent.
Quenty, easily the most respected UI designer on ROBLOX posted that the topbar should be able to be hidden
Successful front-page game developers loleris (Mad Games), AxisAngle (Phantom Forces), Owen (HEX), TheAmazeman (Hiking/Titantic), PlaceRebuilder (Reason2Die), and radiogamer (ROBLOX quest) all posted in favor of not being forced to use the topbar. Wsly, berezaa, anon80475429, Gl0in2, Widgeon, and CloneTrooper1019 all thanked posts in favor of not being forced to use the topbar.

I didn’t point them out because they’re more important than other people, but to emphasize the point that ROBLOX’s interns, most renown UI designer, and top successful game developers all requested to be able to hide the topbar or something along the lines of that around half a year ago and still those requests have not been acted upon. Here is a list of images demonstrating how much of the community has been asking for this:

100 Thank Yous inbound

Something I want is no constraints. We can do 0 and 0.5. What if I want to tween it between 0 and 0.75?

I’m all for a fully transparent top-bar, but it probably won’t be very effective as new users could have issues using it. I think a high transparency (think about 0.98) where the bar is visible if you look at it (so new players don’t end up asking where it went and get confused) and when you hover over it with the mouse it would fade in to about 0.6 transparency.

Last I recall the world wasn’t engulfed in fire before we had the topbar. Hiding it won’t confuse a soul. I already said this in the OP, but I’m going to re-iterate. The hamburger will never be hidden, and if I disable all core UI elements I’m left with an empty, functionless black bar. “oh noes! people will be confused because an empty black bar is gone!!” really :confused:

Top bar isn’t a bad concept, but not being able to set the transparency (of the bar only) from 0 to 1 instead of just 0 to 0.5 hinders both creativity and design choice.

But we NEED consistency across games that have little relation! /sarcasm

2 Likes

My full support. Fight the system Echo! :swag:

It doesn’t bother me that much, but instead I would love to be able to change the color of it.

You can to some extent. http://www.roblox.com/Forum/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=168708857

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again

Can not agree more, especially for mobile. I tried having a header on a GUI with some white text as the title, but the top bar ruined the feel of it.
See here:

I’m just impressed by the top bar’s ability to butcher the amount of screen space I have to work with on mobile.

I assume you don’t really care about it’s location on the screen, and just being able to hide everything but the hamburger.

Every time I look at it… I just think… Who thought this was a good idea?

I’m some games it’s fine, but the majority of games it looks bad. Really bad.

So yes, 1 transparency please

Just for reference, the OP of this thread has more thank yous than the new color update post. You’d generally assume that something requested more than an official feature that is as simple as exchanging 0.5 for 1 would have been done by now, but I guess not.

yes pls.

Rebel, Rebel!

It’s not really rebelling. It’s asking ROBLOX to do what they should have 6 months ago instead of sitting on their thumbs and repeatedly putting this off hoping we forget about it (we won’t in case that hasn’t been made apparent yet).

It’s not really rebelling. It’s asking ROBLOX to do what they should have 6 months ago instead of sitting on their thumbs and repeatedly putting this off hoping we forget about it (we won’t in case that hasn’t been made apparent yet).[/quote]

Uhh… I was supporting?
Ey whatever.