Multi-Cursor Script Editing: Now in Beta!

Letssss goo!
thank you roblox :+1::+1:

1 Like

I LOVE this feature, this Will Help such of developers!

2 Likes

this is one of the best features roblox has made, now i dont have to manually add semicolons or punctuations while editing code or paste my code into another text editor like vs code

1 Like

psychopath take :sob: /j

In all seriousness though, I’m curious what this would look like?

3 Likes

bro u serious ? it can help you to make color changing scripts or a similar script

1 Like

What? Those scripts don’t need you to write 10 time part, only a few times

2 Likes

If this is going to be helpful for a color changing script then your script is pretty messy.

2 Likes

[FIXED]
Found a bug:

Highlighted code in a script is unable to be drag/dropped to a different line when Multi-Cursor is enabled.

7 Likes

Very nice update! Just one thing I noticed is that it’s taking up a lot of CPU in my laptop, not sure if that has anything to do with this new update? I will keep an eye on it to see if it happens all the time or just this one time. Also if you can add a short cut to easily duplicate a line of code to the next line, that would be wonderful. For example in the Eclipse Editor, I believe you can place a cursor on a line and do alt-shift-down arrow to duplicate a line to the next line. Currently in Roblox, I would need to select a line, ctrl-c to copy, move my cursor to the next line and do ctrl-v to paste.

2 Likes

The funny part is that krnl had this feature before roblox add it

1 Like

Cant i just use local part = workspace.part

1 Like

Exactly, that’s why it’s useless for that, as @FloofyNezzled said:

Ok i understood from
@PeZsmistic video

Currently we have an action called “Duplicate Selection”. If you put a cursor on a line and use the shortcut (default is Ctrl+Shift+D), it’ll duplicate the line. We will be making this work with MultiCursor too in the future.

1 Like

A Better Implementation for Multi-Cursor Script Editing in Roblox

After reviewing the article on multi-cursor script editing in Roblox, I believe there are a few ways to improve the implementation of this feature to make it more user-friendly and efficient:

1. Allow custom keyboard shortcuts: One of the key features of multi-cursor script editing is the ability to edit multiple lines of code simultaneously. However, users have to use a combination of keyboard shortcuts and mouse clicks to achieve this, which can be cumbersome. Allowing users to set their own keyboard shortcuts for multi-cursor editing would make the process faster and more intuitive.
  2. Visual indication of active cursors: While the article mentions that users can add multiple cursors by holding down the “Alt” key and clicking, there is no visual indication of where these cursors are located. Adding a visual marker, such as a colored dot or highlight, to show the position of each cursor would make it easier for users to keep track of where they are editing.
  3. Improved cursor movement: Currently, moving the cursors to a specific location requires users to use the mouse, which can be imprecise and slow. Providing more keyboard shortcuts for cursor movement, such as jumping to the beginning or end of a line or moving up or down a specific number of lines, would make the process faster and more efficient.
  4. Ability to disable multi-cursor editing: While multi-cursor editing can be a useful feature, not all users may want to use it all the time. Providing an option to disable multi-cursor editing or a keyboard shortcut to toggle it on and off would allow users to choose when to use the feature.

Overall, implementing these changes would make multi-cursor script editing in Roblox more user-friendly and efficient, allowing developers to edit their code more quickly and accurately.

8 Likes

Very good update. Now everything works better

1 Like

This seems like a cool feature.

1 Like

Finally! :smiley: This was one of the top features on my wish list! I first came across multi cursor (a.k.a multi caret) editing in VS Code, and instantly fell in love with it. Multicaret editing is absolute amazing and increases productivity when refactoring code and editing similar lines of code. Thanks a lot for implementing this!

1 Like

This is honestly THE BEST THING

1 Like

Although this is a good feature for experienced developers, beginners might learn bad practices by doing this and it might cause confusion for them.

2 Likes