Multiple Camera Rendering and "Surface Camera" class

Multiple Camera Rendering:

As of right now, creating new camera Instances (not sure if that is even possible, but I believe you can Instance.new the class) Is useless as only a single camera can render the scene, multiple cameras should be able to render the scene at once, the camera class should have a “ViewPortSize” property that determines how much space its projection will take on the screen.

This allows split-screen games, complex HUD displays such as a real time top-down mini map and much more.

Surface Camera:

There are some cool things you can see done in other game engines that you can’t achieve in ROBLOX, if you ever played a realistic first person shooter game such as Insurgency you would have noticed that there is a camera rendering as a texture on the scope of the firearm you are using, or in many games even a simple mirror that you can look into and see your reflection.

A class that inherits most properties from the camera class and also has similar properties to that of a SurfaceGui - a “SurfaceCamera” class would allow results similar to what was said in the previous statement.

Some SurfaceCamera Properties:

(Inherited camera properties that behave the same as regular cameras not mentioned here e.g FieldOfView)

vector2 : ViewPortSize : size of the viewport relative to the face surface
BasePart : Adornee : the part the surfacecamera is attached to
normalId : Face : the face that the Camera is rendered on
CFrame : CFrame : the CFrame of the Camera

Conclusion:

This is probably resource and time extensive to implement, however allows many aesthetic possibilities if implemented, I believe a good example of an engine that integrates many of the features I have suggested in this thread is Unity 3D.

21 Likes

That’s a quite nice idea.

Btw, change your section to “Client Features”.

1 Like

Done, thanks for telling me!

yes please!
Finally, a good portal game could be created!

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure Roblox has this feature internally, but it’s not fast enough to be done at 60 fps.
There’s an internal class called ThumbnailGenerator, which is responsible for rendering a game thumbnail for the website to use. In theory it might be possible for Roblox to add an API that lets Decals display a thumbnail render that was generated at runtime.

3 Likes

I’d bet my money on this not happening in at least 2 years.

10 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.