My account was disabled, Lego Copyright

I suggest completely removing the model for now and making it more like a classic roblox brick. Than, if your block gets removed AGAINNNNNN, than be like “but… Roblox, this is your brick!”

(pretty ironic how roblox copyrighted you for lego when the man package is nearly identical to the lego model :rofl:)

16 Likes

Oh, and maybe if you want something similar to lego, just make it loggo, or something similar as a ripoff. I can help make a logo! :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

That would be really awesome! Maybe the lego name could be a mixture of roblox and lego like: Rogo? (If you know a better name that would be great :sweat_smile:)

2 Likes

You realize that copyright is more than just names of things, right? Lego holds a patent to their specific building blocks and you can’t recreate them virtually without permission. If you make this game it will most certainly result in a strike or a deleted game entirely.

Again, it’s worth repeating for everyone: Don’t copy, re-create, or use assets that aren’t yours or you don’t have permission to use.

24 Likes

If someone leaks/steals your assets, make them uncopylocked, will everyone that actually use the assets get a strike?

1 Like

I did some searching about law suits and if I could create a lego piece. It looks like I should be able to create my own bricks.

At least two of the largest clone manufacturers have been challenged in court by Lego. The lawsuits have been mostly unsuccessful, for courts have generally found the functional design of the basic brick to be a matter of patent rather than trademark law, and all relevant Lego patents have expired.

The Canadian company Mega Bloks was sued on the grounds that its use of the “studs and tubes” interlocking brick system was a violation of trademarks held by Lego. On November 17, 2005, the Supreme Court of Canada upheld Mega Bloks’ right to continue selling the product in Canada.[8] A similar decision was reached by the European Union’s Court of First Instance on November 12, 2008, upholding an EU regulatory agency’s reversal of opinion following an objection by Mega Bloks against a trademark awarded to Lego in 1999.[9] On September 14, 2010, the European Court of Justice ruled that the 8-peg design of the original Lego brick “merely performs a technical function [and] cannot be registered as a trademark.”[10]

The English company Best-Lock Construction Toys sued Lego in German courts in 2004[11] and 2009.[12] The German Federal Court denied Lego trademark protection for the shape of its bricks in the latter case.

The patent for Lego bricks expired years ago apparently. I have read it on multiple sites, so it looks like it is valid. If people would like to dig deeper into this just in case, that would be great

23 Likes

More people in my opinion need to hear this. I will never understand what the obsession is to illegally recreate things just for profit. The simple idea of it just lacks integrity in so many ways. It’s as if some of these people lack the passion for game development so much so they are willing to steal people’s ideas just for profit…

@thomkok13 This is not intended as a personal attack or anything, but you should really consider doing some unique and creative. In my opinion, we have enough games on this platform that are copied from something and it just all doesn’t reflect well on our reputation in the world.

5 Likes

Even though it seems you removed anything ‘lego’ related, the block itself and its design is still patented under their company.

Regards to online copyright, to prevent this from happening here - do your own research before continuing. refer to this link: Fair Play - Notices & Policies - Legal - LEGO.com US

Have a great day, and make sure to be safe and do your research!

5 Likes

Surely using a classic Roblox-style stud is acceptable? If that was an issue, studs wouldn’t be available anymore. I’d recommend removing the word “LEGO” from anything and try and find your own take on it.

2 Likes

Probably still you can get a warning for that Lego symbol too, Roblox arent smart enough smh.

1 Like

Not only for profit. Mostly just, because I would like to build with people online and buildup a community based on creating the world they play in. My plan is to also add cool creations they have into my game, so it is there forever (with credits to the people that made the structure).

I also have 17 different games in my creations tab. It is just I am a type of guy that jumps from one idea to the other. that does not mean I love to have profit, but I have never got any robux from any game I have created, so it is possible of course, but not likely to happen very soon.

1 Like

I think you got your account disabled because of not any copyright issues it is because that you didn’t got any permission to recreate this. You need to have a permission in order to place and use this in your game. Without permission, the owner can delete or terminate your account because of copyright issues. Roblox just gave you warning because they’re trying to say that to don’t repeat this mistakes ever again.

2 Likes

I have read the notices and policies of lego when I started my research, but I have found out that lego lost their patent on lego bricks.

Also like you said about the notices and policies. Short summary.

“All we ask is that there should be fair play and the possibility for consumers to make buying decisions on an informed basis.”

I am not going to sell any bricks for real life money in my game.

“Unfortunately, some of these sites use the LEGO logo and LEGO trademarks in a manner which may lead to confusion about whether these sites are sponsored or authorized by the LEGO Group. Therefore, we have developed these guidelines to assist Internet users who wish to refer to LEGO products for non-commercial purposes as to the appropriate way to refer to our LEGO trademarks. However, you should be aware that it is impossible to set hard and fast rules about the proper use of our trademarks.”

Because I can create my game for non-commercial purposes, because I am not selling bricks for real life money and I do not have lego logo’s on the bricks in the model it’s name. It should be fine.

I am going to send an email to the lego customer service, just in case. I hope I understood the text correct and is it possible to create a game like this.

3 Likes

They own the word Lego. The U.S. patent for the block shape is expired, but there are global patents to consider. This is a complicated issue and the easiest thing to do is look at generic blocks and go from there. No use of the word Lego for sure.

9 Likes

I presume this moderation notice is supposed to warn you that using lego is not allowed on the Roblox website. Not meant to punish you in any way otherwise it would have been a ban. Although this does seem unreasonable from one perspective as this was a thing at one point.

https://blog.roblox.com/2014/08/announcing-the-lego-ideas-building-contest-finalists/

and there were official sets released

But we also can’t be sure with what happens behind the scenes of Roblox there may be another reason behind it.

9 Likes

Just because you don’t have a lego logo on it doesn’t mean you are not subject to copyright infringements.

iirc, Roblox years ago got in trouble with Lego for having circular studs rather than square ones.

1 Like

To be honest, that’s just Roblox’s filters for you.

You can’t even tell which asset was moderated as it doesn’t show you the actual thumbnail of it.

I’ve been copyright striked loads of times. I used to have Starbucks groups etc which lasted years.

Also yet again they still allow other groups to operate such as Stagecoach (a UK bus company), but I am terrible on copyright law so yeah.

3 Likes

Lego definitely doesn’t own the interlocking block design. There’s several brands with very similar bricks, the main one I can think of being Mega Bloks.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t say you deserve to be disabled for the model but from the name you probably shouldn’t have used a trademarked name

1 Like

Hey there,
I know copyright can be tricky, as companies always have evolving trademark rules and IP right changes.

My advice is to stay away from using company assets and even mentioning company names unless you have express permission and/or is not in a way which will cause a copyright holder to request a takedown.

I wish you luck through the midst of this!

5 Likes