My Analysis on Effective Project Leadership

INTRODUCTION

Hello developers!

I’m sure most of you have been part of development teams, or are looking to start one, so I’ve made this post to share some insight from my experience with various teams. I hope you’ll find this analysis helpful as you work towards becoming great project leaders.

This post is just meant to go over the research I’ve conducted and the notes I’ve taken from working with these various teams, and I’ll update it as I find more helpful information.

LEADERSHIP TRAITS

To start this off, let me ask the question: what does it mean to lead? To me, it’s setting an example for others to follow, paving a path and shining a light to achieve a goal.

Effective leaders usually rely on these key skills:

• Preparation
  • Organization
  • Communication
  • Motivation
  • Production
  • Direction

I’ll break these down into two roles that leaders often play:

Visionaries

Visionaries are all about sharing their ideas and dreams, they see the big picture and can paint a vivid future. They bring confidence and passion for what they are doing and are very excited to present their ideas to others. Visionaries inspire creativity and encourage team members to share their own thoughts and perspectives.

Comunication: Visionaries are great communicators. They express their ideas with enthusiasm and bring like-minded, passionate developers together. Effective communication also means making sure that team members’ opinions are heard and valued.

Motivation: They’re good at keeping the team inspired. They know how to create a sense of purpose and keep everyone motivated to work towards the goal.

Executors

While visionaries set the stage with big ideas and bring people together, executors are the geniuses working behind the scenes to make sure everything goes according to plan. They take those dreams and turn them into reality. Executors are absolutely essential to reaching a project’s goals by staying focused, organized, and proactive.

Preparation: Executors plan for everything. They anticipate challenges and adapt quickly to ensure the project stays on track, no matter what challenges they face.

Organization: Efficient production relies on organization. Executors create to-do lists, roadmaps, and structure tasks to maximize productivity and make it easier for their team.

Direction: Executors make sure that the project stays on the right path. Sometimes this means making tough decisions, like adjusting features or scope, to keep everything aligned with the main goal.

Production: Leaders set an example by maintaining their own productivity and encouraging others to do the same. They ensure the team stays focused and disciplined to maximize productivity.

“If you are persistent, you will get it. If you are consistent, you will keep it.” - Harvey MacKay

MY ADVICE

1. Look for small, young, and less experienced developers. Seek out people who are passionate, skilled, and eager to learn, but might not fully realize their potential yet. By giving them an opportunity, you can help jumpstart their careers and encourage them to push their limits and give it their best. A lot of them are more naive and have more faith in ideas than experience developers, too, so they’re easier to bring into your team.

2. Use voice chat. Even if you’re not comfortable with it, talking in VC is a great way to build confidence and make stronger connections within your team. It also makes sure that team members are paying attention (I think) and gives you a chance to build a more outgoing personality. You can always provide any missed details in text afterward.

3. Get comfortable with other tram members. Interact with each other, make sure you’re comfortable working with other members, and make sure they’re comfortable working with you. This will include providing harsh and constructive criticism toward other members’ work, and being firm on what you want or don’t want, so you both can compromise on something.

There is one last thing regarding payment, but someone has asked me not to reveal it. It might sound a little greedy once you figure it out, but trust me, it’ll be great to keep in mind.

CONCLUSION

During the Inspire 2024 Challenge, I took my notes from my team’s project leader, and began asking other developers such as @NohahDev. I even found value in Bocchi the Rock analyses videos (can you believe it?!), which helped me better understand leadership traits.

What’s great about these notes is that they apply to any leadership situation, not just development.

If you have any other advice for aspiring developers, feel free to comment!

2 Likes