Roblox Inspire 2024 Challenge

Hey @Game-Jammers!

For the moment you’ve been waiting for :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:. Time to introduce :drum::drum::drum:

Inspire 2024 Challenge

We are so excited to announce the Inspire Challenge :confetti_ball:!

Important Information!

• Start: August 10th at 10 AM PT
  • Deadline: August 13th at 10 AM PT
  • The challenge theme will be announced on August 10th at 10 AM PT in this thread.

Participation Requirements

• All team members must be registered on DevForum
  • Teams can have one to five members.
  • Must maintain good standing with Roblox moderation

Submission Guidelines

• Submit a playable, public Roblox experience link
  • An explanation of your project, and how it connects to the theme.
  • Future plans for your project.
  • You are allowed to use premade assets and previous existing code as long as you list them in the submission survey. But remember, originality is part of the judging criteria!
  • Your team and project must follow all Roblox Terms of Use, Community Standards, and Inspire 2024 Challenge Terms of Participation.
  • Optional: A 30-90 second video trailer showcasing your experience.
    • Upload the video to YouTube and make it unlisted or public.
    • Webcam and microphone are optional, as long as the video is clear and understandable.
    • Not all members of the team need to be in the video.
  • Submission link will be available once the Challenge has begun!

Prizing Distribution

There are 5 categories that submissions will be judged from:

• Best Technical Quality
    • Highest level of technical craftsmanship, including scripting, art, sound design, and overall execution within the experience.
  • Most Creative Game Concept
    • Most innovative, unique, and imaginative ideas, setting it apart in terms of originality and creativity while still representing the theme.
  • Most Engaging Experience
    • Most captivating through its gameplay mechanics, narrative engagement, and overall ability to keep players invested and entertained.
  • Best Video Trailer
    • Based on encapsulating the gameplay/theme of the challenge by effectively showcasing its gameplay, features, and atmosphere to generate interest and excitement. Quality of the video is also considered for this category.
  • Global Citizenship Award
    • Best promotes themes of inclusivity, cultural diversity and global unity while still involving the challenge theme.

Each category will have a top 3 selection. The top 3 teams in each category can win the following:

• 1st place - $600 GoGift card per team member.
  • 2nd place - $400 GoGift card per team member.
  • 3rd place - $200 GoGift card per team member.

Additionally, all valid entries will receive an item from the DevRel Prize Series for your Roblox avatar.

Grand Prize :exploding_head:

What, another prize?! That’s right!!! The winners for the Best Overall Experience will win a fully paid lodging and transportation to RDC 2024 :fire::fire::fire: Check out the Terms of Participation for more details!

Note: Prizes are listed in USD and are subject to availability and location. Must be 18 years or older to be eligible for the RDC prize.

Few Tips and Reminders

• Are you looking for a team for the Inspire 2024 challenge? Come join the Discord Community here to keep up with updates, or network with other developers! Thank you to @Anareloux for creating the discord server :raised_hands:

Good luck everyone!

Developer Engagement Team

112 Likes

Cross Post, but I’m fuming so:
Game Jam’s are already hard enough to produce a good product for even seasoned developers, now with this announcement we only have 5 days to prepare? Organize schedules? Balance work and obligations? What were you guys thinking? Even if you were transparent about it the uncertainty of the start date for a game jam makes no sense at all.

Edit: To everyone getting confused about what I mean, I’m saying that the time they gave us to make time to participate is inadequate and unfair. The actual participation time of 3 days is completely fair. My team and I won the Connect 2023 Game Jam and participated in the last Game Jam, which was only 48 hours. For everyone saying “Oh but we did it at RDC and it was fun.” You’re missing the point, I’m talking about preparing to attend not time of participation. If you went to RDC you knew the jam would happen during RDC, you had nothing to move out of the way to participate, and you were already at the event you PLANNED TO ATTEND.

15 Likes

No offence but it’s a game jam, I’m not sure what you consider a game jam but it’s all about spontaneity. You’re not supposed to prepare for a gamejam (unless you mean mentally :joy: )

From my point of view, five day is more than enough. What do you even need to do besides to gather your team (or not, if you’re solo), manage your schedule in case you have work etc and just patiently wait for the game jam to begin?

People with really strict schedules might suffer from this but hey… if your schedule is that tight then … sadly… you really don’t have time for a game jam

13 Likes

We need more details on this, will Roblox pay for international travel if a developer from outside the US wins the challenge? And if an uninvited developer wins the challenge, will they receive an invitation to the RDC?

5 Likes

I don’t think there’s really anything to prepare for. When we did the RDC gamejams we went in with 0 preparation. As soon as the theme was announced we’d hop in a call and start throwing ideas at a wall until one stuck.

4 Likes

Give me 5 days for the challenge, and i’ll spend the first 4 going mentally insane inside the studio, hopefully the theme is not that hard tho

2 Likes

The problem is doing it spontaneously doesn’t help anybody. All it does is restrict the jam to people who have more leniency in their schedules.

It would have been better to announce all the dates in the original post, rather than announce that you will announce the schedule later.
It’s not the end of the world, but it is inconsiderate and inconvenient and seemingly has no positive angle. Therefore it’s pretty easy to be upset about.

1 Like

That is the purpose of a game jam, yes. If they announced a month in advance, people would do a month’s worth of work and say they did it in a few days.

I think game jams are a great opportunity for people who don’t have a lot of time commitments/responsibilities to dedicate some of their own time to a project. Not everything will appeal to the same audience. A 72 hour timeframe to make an entire game isn’t designed for those who have busy schedules.

Yes, actually, I’m sure other platforms do have issues. Developers can make plenty of generic, highly applicable assets without knowing the theme.

The fairest kind of game jam would be one where all the developers work at a single venue using no downloaded assets, so when it’s online like this you will inevitably encounter these kinds of limitations. I think it’s fair to announce it without much notice.

3 Likes

ngl I did not realise how difficult it would be to find a teammate lol
(maybe I’m just too early)

3 Likes

They were talking about preparing time for the event. they mentioned work and obligations. not making assets.
You do realize that most work places require 3 weeks notice to take off work?
And no game jams arent “spontaneous” events. Itch.io lists every game jam with accurate dates up to months in advanced. how do they do that?? because the people who host the game jams don’t just say hey, there’s gonna be an announcement this date, and then “surprise” you with the real date thats gonna be a few days later.

3 Likes

Yes, definitely, even if you are a new developer or have not been formally invited to RDC yet, if you win, you will definitely receive an invitation.

I read the Terms of Participation and there are no eligibility requirements based on your country of residence. This usually means that as long as you are legally allowed to travel internationally then you can participate.

Keep in mind, even if you win and you are in a country that requires a US VISA, you will most likely have to procure that on your own.

3 Likes

He’s talking about work and schedules. Not making assets.

1 Like

I agree if they could give us the dates in advance so we could make time. Also, you can’t spend a month preparing assets, do you know how a game jam works? They announced the theme and you have to build a game around that, do you think other platforms have an issue with that? Of course not. They announced that there would be a game jam for Inspired 24 days ago, on July 12th. They said details were revealed then but not when we had to commit our time.

1 Like

what exactly does “good standing” mean here?

1 Like

Offense is taken, finding time to take 4 days off versus 18 days off to figure out the timeline and then have the time to commit to a project is quite unreasonable for most people. Game Jam’s are entire multi-day affairs. I envy you if your schedule is so loose you can get time 5 days in advance for a 3-4 day major time commitment. Have you ever planned anything?

1 Like

They should make it so chats like these are disabled, thats the kind of things they should be doing.

1 Like

You were already at RDC, you already planned to go to RDC. You had the timeline locked in and lots of time to prepare to go to RDC. You were already at RDC, you could do the game jam at RDC without having to compromise anything.

1 Like

You can solve that problem by changing the rules, they allow for prepared assets in the rules of the Jam. As I said before they announced there would be a game jam on July 12th so people could have been making generic stuff even far before that date. Preparing for something you don’t know what you’re going to make is how developers operate in general why would that affect the game jam anymore than it already has?

1 Like

What happens to the winners who already got an invite and have purchased flights/lodging already? Will they be reimbursed or how will that work?

1 Like

Good luck to everyone who will participate in this challenge! I can’t wait to see what you all create. :slight_smile:

2 Likes