My Blender Chair Model

This is my (fifth?) time using blender to make a chair, tree, or anything! May I get some feedback on this body of a chair I made?
The images and links are provided below!

Youtube Video I used: Make Chair In Blender 2.81 | Modeling Chair | Creating Soft Chair - YouTube
(I didn’t fully copy the chair, just made it more simplistic and achievable for me.)

Photos of the Chair I Made

Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 8.03.10 PM Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 8.03.56 PM Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 8.04.56 PM

Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 8.05.58 PM Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 8.06.21 PM

I made this in about 10-30 minutes on my first try, and progressed to about 5-10 minutes currently! I also want to know how to make chair legs for this type of chair, so if you left suggestions or videos down below, I’d be super grateful! Any feedback really helps.

2 Likes

Hmm. I am going to be honest with you, this chair doesn’t look that great. However, I would assume that you are a beginner, so I will cut you some slack since when I was a beginner I made terrible models.
I think that it could use some beveling and more detail, along with making it not look like a chair that will painfully point things into your back.
I hope you do well on your journey through 3D modeling! :slight_smile:
Also to make chair legs all you have to do is make a square shaped face, extrude it, then scale it down to make a kind of funnel shape.

3 Likes

I dont know if you are going for a “Low-Poly” style, but maybe try marking the main edges sharp and using smooth faces & auto smooth? Might give you a smoother outcome. For legs you could just use the knife tool to cut out verticies, and then extrude, or you could also use ctrl + r for maybe better topo.

1 Like

It has quite a nice low poly aesthetic appearance to it.

Well done considering you are still as said in your post quite new to Blender, when I first started blender I could barely make a mesh right without having some issues like Z-Indexing or some random corner poking out.

Can’t wait to see how it is applied. :+1:

1 Like

Hi, not bad for a beginner. Following tutorials and examples online is a magnificent way to learn and progress in your skills. Over-all I like it. Add some legs to it, or perhaps some type of lower stand would be cool. Maybe even make it a wheel chair!

You would not expect someone who has made a mere five models in blender to be able to make a good looking creative model, no matter the theme, and you did a great job for your skill-level.

A word of advice however, models tend to look bulky in appearance (especially in low poly) you can make your model look pro-level with a simple trick called “Beveling”. Beveling the edges of the chair would give it a sense of depth and detail, and on-top all of that - you can change the model to appear in shade smooth, which will make it look realistic! (Though I do recommend if you do choose to use the shade smooth feature in blender, add the “Edge split” modifier to the model!)

Keep up the good work friend.

Cheers

2 Likes

Select the chair, right-click, click on shade smooth. It’s going to look way better. Also, this post was a while ago so I’m hoping that you made a lot of progress with modeling!