My new fps game looks nothing like Roblox it looks like Battlefield or Call Of Duty

Why would I recreate the same assets when I can just use the one already made, what’s the point?

You don’t have to create your own assets when there’s already assets to use

What’s the point? Well, if every game on roblox used the same assets, you would agree they all would look the same. Realism isn’t a look every player of roblox likes, I am going to stereotype here and say that the main demographic of children enjoy bright, cartoony looking games. And referring to your point on ‘Why make my own assets’, yes, using pre-made assets is time efficient but is it unique? As I said before there is no future in development if you A) as a solo dev cannot execute all key points of development B) Don’t have a team that helps you by taking up specific roles to help make a co-ordinated and well put together game.

1 Like

The theme is realism witch is not a unique theme

If I was going for a specific art style like a cartoon theme I would then create unique assets for my game

The new Roblox asset pack is not meant to be unique it’s suppose to be realistic, Roblox wants people to use those assets for vegetation for a more realistic environment.

1 Like

You’re missing my point, your game looks good yes, but you relied on free assets. Say we’re in a parallel world where these assets do not exist, will you be able to make a game to the standard it is now with the models given to you simply not there. Say this does happen, would you be able to continue visual improvements? Would you be able to make new maps and experiences for your player base? The answer is no unless you are skilled to that level or you made the assets in your game, if not your game visuals will drop and simply not look as good as it did before and the people who play for an immersive, realistic experience will leave.

Been following this post for a while, but havent gotten around to commenting. My thoughts:

Yes, using pre-made assets run risk of every game looking the same. These assets were released a month ago(?), and I agree with the original claim, this game does NOT look the same as everything else. Nice work!

As far as balancing your skills, you should probably move on to the scripting/optimization side. As far as taking assets and building a realistic world, you got that down. Hold off on modeling. Don’t go making your own assets until you can balance your current building skills with roblox constraints.

1 Like

Thankyou for the amazing post.

Look at the different of these photo they are both using the same assets but still look completely different.

1 Like

You’re still missing my point but yes they do look different partially due to the top one looking more like an industrial, open map with sunlight and the bottom is set in a darkish forest surrounded by fog. Two different atmospheres with the same assets. I meant this on a much larger scale not between two games, when hundreds of different game studios use it it will become whitewashed and expected.

Keep up the hard work I wanna be able to play the full version

I get what you mean but it’s up to the developer of a game to make it different by organizing the assets in a different way to match the theme of the game or just finding other similar assets on other places like Quixel or Sketchfab.

This look’s amazing the only thing that’s roblox about this is the left side and the bottom right overall the forest looks amazing.

In my view, it’s up to the developer to actually make the models to provide a unique experience that they themselves made, a model that takes time to make in blender, maya whatever is way more sought after than something someone downloaded off of turbosquid. Searching the web for models does not make you a modeller just like using a printer doesn’t make you an artist, it’s the progression of making the model/art yourself that makes you those. Now I’m not calling you a fake developer because your game looks great, it really does and it’s something I’d love to see mainstream but it is just a mix and match of ready to use assets and the sheer quantity of it makes the game impossible to run even on my hefty workflow pc.

-----------Thanks of the feedback.

Yeah but I really don’t see any reason to waste time recreating a already existing asset, that will just be completely pointless

There are great reasons to A) games takes time to make, you shouldn’t have to rush things. B) if you ever want a career in development, studios aren’t gonna let you use free assets unless they don’t have time to develop a full game and in that case most studios do turn to the purchasing of models, that is why websites like sketchfab and turbosquid exist. Making your own assets lets you learn how to make models that look just as good yourself and with that comes self pride.

If the game had a unique art style I would then create my own assets to match the art style. The game is aiming for realism not a unique art style.

FYI you can’t use Quixel assets on Roblox.

2 Likes