Neon Texture on Transparent Mesh UV

So this is kinda a continuating of this: Meshparts emit glow with transparency in texture Except it’s post-version2 of the materials on meshpart update.

Here is a regular texture on my character rig

Here is one where all the purple parts of the texture (UV map?) are transparent

As you can see it’s a red plastic material yet it shows up as bright white neon. This is important to me because I want to remove the purple/yellow prebaked options and have these dynamic BrickColor options instead. I’d also like to see material overlay on existing textures. I want my character rigs to have that messy scratched up Metal material on the actual texture portion.

1 Like

This is a concern because the implementation you want is opposite to the implementation I want.

What I want
MeshParts don’t render anything where the texture is transparent.

What you want
MeshParts to render the brickcolor anywhere the texture is transparent.

Would a new property to MeshParts be the best way to address this? Some sort of “TransparentBrickColor” property or something. I can definitely see use cases for what you and I both want. (Although what the current behavior does is useless for everyone really)

Note: Move this to client bugs please!

I think the best way to do this is to unlink the texture transparency from the part transparency while allowing transparent portions of textures to show parts.

Ideal Ex:

Part trans set to 0. Texture trans set to 0. Any transparent pixels of the texture show the part.

Part trans set to 1. Texture trans set to 0. Any transparency pixels of the texture show the transparency 1 part, aka ‘nothing’

How it currently works:

Part trans set to 0. Texture trans set to 0. Any transparent pixels of the texture show up as this weird neon material. This is my problem.

Part trans set to 1. Texture trans set to 0. The entire thing is invisible. This is Alex’s problem.

This way both of us get what we want.